W7-L3 = Silver 4?

General Discussion
Placement matches: W7 - L3 = Silver 4?
Subsequently, due to this terrible "bug" error, I have now won 18 matches, and lost 6... its just so boring.... I'm like owning every game, with highest dmg, highest tanked dmg, highest healing by far, highest exp contribution, most camps captured etc etc...

Like.. whats the point of having placement matches, if they just dump you somewhere, not based on your skills at all, even though you won the majority of them, with far superior in game stats than the other players..?
Blizz decreased the weight of placement matches and no matter how good you are and how much heavier the old placements were, you can't climb too much with just placements. Your lvl starts at your previous HL rank. If you didn't had one, UD mmr. If you didn't played it, QM mmr. And after placements (at least first time), the game puts you a bit lower than you should be based on the placements so you more likely win your first matches.
It's based on your MMR. If you have low MMR it's not like system will magically know you to be a good player. Placements also no longer place you to high ranks nor will they give you crazy MMR uncertainty like in the past.
Is there any way to see this MMR? Can we see the data that they measure? Like for example, if i solo an entire camp, but healer comes at last moment and captures it, does he get the mmr points, or do i get them? Also how many mmr would you lose per death? do you gain extra for being top 5during the end of game?
MMR gain is based on your teams MMR vs enemy MMR, not on individual actions like capturing camps or getting MVP. So if your team is heavy underdog for example and you win you get lots of MMR while if you lose game like that you only lose little. Closest thing you can get is 3rd party websites like hotslogs but it only shows your MMR relative to others really(so you can ignore the bronze-master ranks it uses). You also gotta upload your replays there to get more accurate results.
With placements not really having much weight anymore, having to play 10 games, for basically nothing, that's kind of annoying. An average of 300 minutes, 5 hours, spent basically just unlocking ranked mode for someone who's already played ranked previously... I feel like there is still work to do on the placements front
dont worry, people won 9-1 and still got placed the same as you. its almost like the placements dont matter and where you are is where youre stuck.
Blame online games trying to make you scrubs feel good. Use to be where competitive games only showed your MMR. Now everything is hidden behind shiney tiers and metals that hide what you really want t know.
The placement games are just regular games now but you can't really say they don't matter... If you got 9-1 and get say silver 4 it just means they started at roughly bronze 1. If they had gone 1-9 instead they would have been placed around bronze 3.

All they did was remove the huge uncertainty that many people tried to abuse to jump whole league(s). They couldn't cut it actually climbing but because they got lucky in placements they jumped up, if they did poorly there they stopped playing for season and did it all over again next season. If placements went bad they just didn't play more than 14 games so they would get re-seeded.
If you're new I don't see it as unreasonable to have to climb.

We all started at rank 50 when ranked play came out.
You won 9 games vs bronze players and you think you deserve higher than s4?
Why don't people understand how placement matches work. THEY ARE NOT A COMPLETE RE-EVALUATION OF YOUR SKILL!

Imagine you play let's say Tennis and there would be a "placement tournament". Do you really think, if you would win there you would directly be number 1 in the list of best players???

You already have an MMR when you play HL. Either by playing the season before or because you were seeded from other game modes. The MMR already defines the rank region where you will end. If there would be no placement matches at all and you would end silver 4 in last season for example you would just start with silver 4 in the next season.

Placement matches are just there to "losen" the MMR a bit when a new season starts. This means that you can move around your given rank a bit after placement matches. In last seasons this "MMR losening" was quite wide, so you could end up in plat when you were low gold before and such things. But they narrowed it down again because too many people ended where they don't belong. So now you might maybe move up 1-2 ranks or down after the placement matches. That's it.

Imagine it like this: You are in school and after several exams through the year you already know what your grade might be for this year. But your teacher will give you a chance with a final exam. If you are good you get double credit for this exam. But let's say you are an F student and magically get an A in that exam. Do you really think that you now will get an A for the whole course and all your other exams and grades are dismissed?

And that's basically how placement matches work. They might give you a little bonus. A "little bonus". It's not where you can jump several divisions ahead only because you won a lot of matches. You still play against players in your MMR region! So if you are a silver player you do your placement matches against players around silver.

People obviously think that placement matches are something like: I play 10 matches against the best GM players on earth and if I win most of them I have proven that I am as good as a GM player and have to move to GM. That's not how placement matches work!
08/09/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Karabars
Blizz decreased the weight of placement matches and no matter how good you are and how much heavier the old placements were, you can't climb too much with just placements. Your lvl starts at your previous HL rank. If you didn't had one, UD mmr. If you didn't played it, QM mmr. And after placements (at least first time), the game puts you a bit lower than you should be based on the placements so you more likely win your first matches.

"a bit lower" i was silver one or 2 and now im bronze 1... ok and its !@#$ing impossible to get out of that pit, full of afk, leavers, people with %^-*ty internet, people that doesnt speak english, rat kids, trolls, people playing gazlowe...etc ty blizzard, so you get better for nothing. for !@#$ing nothing because its impossible to win 2853726 matchs and get out of bronze
yea its a complete devaluation of your skills, you puts effort in playing better and blizzard rewards you starting in !@#$ing bronze with all the mongoloids that shouldn't be playing online competitive TEAM based games. Seriously blizzard you can do it better than these