HL is dead outside peak hours

General Discussion
Hello Blizzard, the game is dead late night / early morning.
I think its time to change something, cause 500+ seconds queue time is what i remember from some niche games that died soon after i played them for a VERY short while.

And its not even some masters league. Im talking the mediocre league, gold/platinum.

Going full "quality matchmaker for longer queues" defeats its purpose after a while of queue time. System tryies to match perfect teams (which is impossible, cause same people can do their best one game, and chill in the other), picks few players and let them stay in queue for eternity, then few players leave the queue in meantime, cause waiting over 3 minutes is considered long, let alone over 7 or 8, so matchmaker have to find replacement, and then after extremaly long queue it matches whoever is available anyway.

Player population is to small to justify some ultra harsh MM requirements for teams. To small player pool is also a reason to combine some modes. No need of 2 unranked, 2 ranked and 1 gimmich MM pools...

edit:
this is getting even better: https://s15.postimg.cc/qkuw7d9wb/hotsqueue.png
Last time I checked WoW had 4 million subs and according to Superdata it's currently the 7:th ranked PC game.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/

I invite you to start a raid between 4 - 7 AM.

According to the same site HotS do possess a playerbase of 6.5 million, placing it as the third largest Moba.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/dota-plus-may-be-too-little-too-late-for-dota-2s-disappearing-player-base/

It actually baffles me you're blaming a matchmaker at those hours. I may have insomnia but other people do maintain a sleep schedule.

Even LoL which is still ranked as 1:st had quite long queuetimes this hour (5-10 mins for normal draft) during seasons 3-6 for the same reason.
08/12/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Laparo
Last time I checked WoW had 4 million subs and according to Superdata it's currently the 7:th ranked PC game.

According to the same site HotS do possess a playerbase of 6.5 million, placing it as the third largest Moba.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/dota-plus-may-be-too-little-too-late-for-dota-2s-disappearing-player-base/

It actually baffles me you're blaming a matchmaker at those hours. I may have insomnia but other people do maintain a sleep schedule.

Even LoL which is still ranked as 1:st had quite long queuetimes this hour (5-10 mins for normal draft) during seasons 3-6 for the same reason.

That website does not seem trust worthy, why does it say DFO is 2nd and Fort sits at 6th.
Fortnite also exists as console - Which you can see is the first in that column. In that sense you could say that not only does it have a big PC playerbase, but an even larger console playerbase.

Beside that you can see who they work with as well as their staff here

https://www.superdataresearch.com/our-team/
Ok @Laparo, so you basically acknowledge the ranked league is dead at late night and early morning, and then you go on about how its justified cause in mmorpg people raid at most convenient hours for all people to commit for a long raid... Smart.

edit: So basically you envision hots to be like raiding in wow - we join to play a game or two at evening few times a week? :)
The playerbase number is bs, that's just the smurf count.

The number of active HL players in NA is like 50,000 weekly. During late night you usually only have ~500 in queue.

Which is why even Plat players experience 10+ minute queues.
The game is already stuck in the downward spiral

They took too long to fix the matchmaking and now the player pool is too tiny to work with.

If they revert the change, they will just drive more people away. People like you will get frustrated with the long queue times, but you won't quit the game, so they are ok with that
Oh no, you can't get an instant queue at 1am!

Whatever are you going to do when all those kids go back to school come September?
HL is alive outside of dead hours).

Blame ppl who want to sleep at nite, what a bunch of weirdos.
08/12/2018 10:25 PMPosted by Falrinth
Ok @Laparo, so you basically acknowledge the ranked league is dead at late night and early morning, and then you go on about how its justified cause in mmorpg people raid at most convenient hours for all people to commit for a long raid... Smart.
Laparo is actually answering your question man, and giving you some examples to justify his point.. which are actually valid..

I'll put it as apples and bananas for you..

Is not the same queuing at 7pm, where you have most of the active playerbase... than queuing at 7am where everyone is sleeping, or going to school, college or work

MM has nothing to do with you demanding a proper HotS experience at 6 am
The slowing down of releases, the cheap new featured hero front pages, no more/rare animated cutscenes, lack of presence on their own forums, removal of servers (East coast) etc.
There is plenty of evidence to show that they just don't care as much as they did anymore and are just riding it out collecting as much money as possible before it's done.
I used to invest because I thought the game had a future. Not anymore. They're pretty much telling us it doesn't.
Sorry that people want to do other things in non peak hours.
matchmaking takes long because it matches you with players in a very small skill bracket.

what would you rather have: longer waiting with more even games or shorter queues with very unbalanced games..?
08/12/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Laparo

Last time you checked WoW only shows total subs (as they stated during draenor) it will no longer share active users because their player base declined to under 2 mill. its NA player base is dead a large majority of the 4 mil is china/brazil

Then as well your link for stats is way off since steam shows its own stats since pubg is its highest played game and fortnite is well over that and i have no idea what dungeon fighter is nor even see its on steams active status page

Stop white knighting for blizzard bud they only out to fool you and steal your dollar lol
So there's a smaller playerbase during the hours when people are sleeping/getting ready for work? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

You want a solution, switch your region, The sun is shining somewhere.
Just because you can't queue up and instantly get into a match at 1am doesn't mean the game is dead.

Instant gratification syndrome is more likely what's going on here.
08/13/2018 04:19 AMPosted by Profiterol
Is not the same queuing at 7pm, where you have most of the active playerbase... than queuing at 7am where everyone is sleeping, or going to school, college or work

08/13/2018 03:55 AMPosted by zenasprime
Oh no, you can't get an instant queue at 1am!

08/13/2018 08:29 AMPosted by MacWeak
Sorry that people want to do other things in non peak hours.

08/13/2018 10:03 AMPosted by VSCSupreme
So there's a smaller playerbase during the hours when people are sleeping/getting ready for work? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

08/13/2018 10:25 AMPosted by zenasprime
Just because you can't queue up and instantly get into a match at 1am doesn't mean the game is dead.

Let me merge this into one for you, so you can speak same phrase louder:

there is less people playing outside peak hours

Yes, i believe everyone is aware of this. Whats the point of stating the obvious?

In case you missed my point: We have 5 separate game modes, and queue times reaching half the time you spend in actual match and about 3 times of what people ususally call "long". Think about it, before you continue typing posts which are equally as sarcastic as they are pointless and have zero value in discussion.

ANd if you insist on fighting for your beloved company, do it smart. Letting its game slowly decay and keep yelling "it's flourishing!" as if it could counter it, aint smart.

Not everyone is the usuall Joe who works 9am-5pm, and such unusuall people are pretty considerable percent of gamers population (obviously far from even half of gamers population, especially since the rise of casuall gaming). But those are not just people someone here suggested that would have sleep disorders or unemployed basement dwellers. You get people working late shifts, people working on dynamic shifts, freelancers, self-employed, (bah even those at night shifts playing at work due to free time), rich "whales", and so on.

If they wont find entertainment in this game, they will find it elsewhere. Being stuck in the superlong queue is hardly entertaining. And when game starts leaking players, its a trend hard to stop, once remaining players realise it.

But of course you may stick to your vision of how games should fit only comfort of majority. Just keep in mind that any group have its majority, no matter how small it gets. At what point you think its worth caring about the whole group? 10.000 people? 1.000 people? 100? :) Even with 3 people you can still "leak" the "minority" some way, and at some point you may find yourself in minority.

Furthermore, nowaday gaming is highly competetive market-wise. Players are the content. People want to play popular games (rich in this content) on the rise - not the niche, dying games (with decaying content). That due to the fact that in e-sport type of games, people invest time and effort to get better, with a distant goal in mind to be really good. Where its better to be known as really good? In a solid, established, popular game or potentially dead game in not very distant future? Where would you invest your time and effort?

So think again whats good for your beloved idols AND you as a player here.

Someone mentioned "instant gratification issue" here. Thats a silly thing to write about a game. Games are supposed to deliver instant gratification. Thats why we are playing them. Thats how their systems are designed so they are attractive form of entertainment and relax as opposite to our jobs, where you chase the long goal and delayed gratification.
Game sucks now.

Either Blizz needs to get their !@#$ together or give up on this game because its slowly dying.

I can't believe I got matched up against someone that was top 34# and I am only plat 1.

The HotS population has been reduced by quite a lot the past 6 months so blizzard decided to change the MM system a little bit to avoid longer queues times by mixing up the elements.

For example; Have noobs play with higher ranks in QM, Unranked and Ranked.

This also caused the Toxicity to increase within the HoTS community since nobody likes to play with low skill players and by keeping getting matched up with these people will only create more frustration and therefore push you into flamming/quitting/ feeding/ afking.
There are plenty of people still playing in the middle of the night, just not on HL. I will avoid HL during certain hours because of the random nature of the people you're likely to get at those hours. Sure you can get a dedicated player, but you also get a dead drunk player, a player who is falling asleep, etc. and so I don't want to take the risk.
Doomchester, i wasnt tracing all the changes across all this time. Had some brakes from hots, but yeah, they had some problems with MM quality, so i really wonder how couold that end up with 5 different game modes as a result - 5 separated player pools? :D Its like if hots would be managed by Cho-Gall. One want to get better MM and the other more diversity. Result is: ridiculous queues.