Aba vs. mephisto

General Discussion
Can aba please not die to mephistos ult when he's at full hp?

If the thing repeats twice in a row and you aren't fast enough to burrow back to base (or can't from the CD) you are dead ....
Yup, so don't pick Abby into Mephisto.

If QM, past 20, watch those teamfights closely and get back to base if your teammates are low.

Quite simple really, or save evo for it.
Abathur is meant to be a niche hero anyway. you shouldn't be picking him against Mephisto.
09/08/2018 10:29 PMPosted by Mace
Yup, so don't pick Abby into Mephisto.

If QM, past 20, watch those teamfights closely and get back to base if your teammates are low.

Quite simple really, or save evo for it.

Yea sorry bro basically what you're saying is, you have to drop your position before any team fight (or 1v1) because you never know when your ally might die to it. Makes sense to deny one character a whole game instead of just increasing his health to not die after 2 ults.
09/08/2018 10:31 PMPosted by UncleGanon
Abathur is meant to be a niche hero anyway. you shouldn't be picking him against Mephisto.

Good thinking, i'll keep that in mind next time i queue up for QM.
So learn to time your clone better. Alternatively you could Z to the hall of storm. Seems pure l2p issue.
09/08/2018 10:49 PMPosted by Noir
So learn to time your clone better. Alternatively you could Z to the hall of storm. Seems pure l2p issue.

I don't think you understand the issue. Yes you can go z back to the hall (if its up), but a good aba usually keeps Z on cd. You have to have presence where you can, soaking and pushing.

Mephisto hard locks you into base. If you z up front somewhere and your team goes into a team fight - you are dead most likely and hearth won't save you. Clone only works if first of all you went clone - its not always worth going clone contrary to popular belief.

I'm a lvl 110 Aba - and use him in plat/diamond plenty with good results. Maybe you should understand the game better if your solution is to just stay in base or clone away from an ult.
I see Mephisto as being a hard counter for Aba. That being said it only gets bad at lvl 20. I think for you this is the first time as Aba you are being countered as badly as you are.

I would suggest you learn to play against it. It's not as if you have to worry about anything till lvl 20. I still think that is not being countered enough like it is for other heroes out there.
Good thinking, i'll keep that in mind next time i queue up for QM.

Using Abathur in QM has been a crapshoot for many, many months. Mephisto doesn't make it particularly worse. Abathur's niche role in draft makes him even riskier in a QM environment so choosing to complain about Mephisto because he can screw up your even smaller, QM niche isn't really something that makes sense.

Mephisto hard locks you into base. If you z up front somewhere and your team goes into a team fight - you are dead most likely and hearth won't save you. Clone only works if first of all you went clone - its not always worth going clone contrary to popular belief.

the only way he can kill you from full HP is if he is several levels ahead and at least level 20 AND gets a kill, activating the secondary cast. Clone is the better ult in basically every situation in the current iteration of HOTS.the fact people are telling you to go Ultimate Evo as a counter to Mephisto ( a valid point) and your only retort is "OH YEA WELL EVO ISN'T WORTH USING ALL THE TIME!" means that you think using Monstrosity is not only intelligent, but intelligent to do against Mephisto, meaning your issue is a L2P problem.

I'm a lvl 110 Aba - and use him in plat/diamond plenty with good results. Maybe you should understand the game better if your solution is to just stay in base or clone away from an ult.

I've played with level 100+ Abathurs who were in mid diamond who sucked booty. A few months ago I got a game with such a person. It got to a point where I had to basically tell him how to play the game and encouraged him to go into AI afterwards because he didn't know anything. checked his profile after and he was diamond 3 and had abathur at level 100+. character level means absolutely nothing, plat is barely above average and diamond is typically where players really start getting good. the fact your defense is that your skill level ranged from slightly above average to "starting to get good" is an incredibly weak argument when trying to make it look like you're some kind of authority on a subject.
09/08/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Genoism

Clearly you're not very good with him tho(as evident from rank alone). You can plan ahead very much with Abathur. They've added the timers and locations for objectives so you should have your Z up easily in time with proper planning. If you cannot adjust to 100+ second CD ult you have very poor foresight and planning. You have two tools in Z and R that you can use to avoid the ult, if you still die to it you just gotta take a long and hard look in the mirror for whom to blame.

You have to have presence where you can, soaking and pushing.

You don't have to be soaking post 20 really. If it's safe sure you can do it but the gain is minimal so risk better be lower than that. As for pushing, it's rather rare to even see Abathur going for locust build ever since minion and tower changes. Nowadays Aba is pretty much all about heal or hat build given how little impact the locusts have now.
09/08/2018 11:16 PMPosted by Noir

Clearly you're not very good with him tho(as evident from rank alone). You can plan ahead very much with Abathur. They've added the timers and locations for objectives so you should have your Z up easily in time with proper planning. If you cannot adjust to 100+ second CD ult you have very poor foresight and planning. You have two tools in Z and R that you can use to avoid the ult, if you still die to it you just gotta take a long and hard look in the mirror for whom to blame.

You have to have presence where you can, soaking and pushing.

You don't have to be soaking post 20 really. If it's safe sure you can do it but the gain is minimal so risk better be lower than that. As for pushing, it's rather rare to even see Abathur going for locust build ever since minion and tower changes. Nowadays Aba is pretty much all about heal or hat build given how little impact the locusts have now.

You're right u dont soak at 20, but you do push.
Honestly the QQ with abby needs to stop. So what if Mephisto is a hard counter to abby, there are plenty of other heroes that have hard counters-- mephisto being no exception.

This whole game is built on team composition and counter play, and abby has the potential to avoid his ult.
This really shouldn't be downvoted, it honestly is bad design to have a hero get one-shot by a single-button global ability.
09/09/2018 12:23 AMPosted by VapidSlug
This really shouldn't be downvoted, it honestly is bad design to have a hero get one-shot by a single-button global ability.

I don't see people asking Fenix's Planet Cracker being removed even though it will do the exact same thing. Or any ability such as Timewalker's Pursuit / Sentinel / Orbital BFG revealing him and getting killed by Precision Strike instantly after.

As was already stated, Mephisto needs to be several levels higher, be at LEAST level 20 and get the level 20 reset talent for consume souls and THEN get at least one kill.

on top of that, the initial cast is 2.5 seconds, enough to start tunneling back to base or use Ultimate Evolution. on TOP of that, consume souls has a 2 minute cooldown. Abathur can clone someone several times before mephisto can even USE his ult again.

Op deserves the downvote for not knowing how to play Abathur, not knowing how to draft, not knowing how to play against Mephisto despite several threads listing his counters and claiming one of the most situational ults in HOTS is unfair.
Y to base doesnt work?
Oh don't worry about Aba! I used my ib as Jaina to dodge an artanis swap combo, ran behind our walls then Ana nanoboosted Mephisto, he used his ult, a teammate died in it, casted again and I just died 100-0 :D
09/09/2018 12:31 AMPosted by MetalDtector

I don't see people asking Fenix's Planet Cracker being removed even though it will do the exact same thing. Or any ability such as Timewalker's Pursuit / Sentinel / Orbital BFG revealing him and getting killed by Precision Strike instantly after.

Lol are you serious?

Planet cracker has to be aimed and it only hits Aba or who ever in its way. The other one hits everyone on the map, reveals them, slows them and is a free kill on aba, without thinking.
At least with Consume Soul you can play around it. It's a 2 minute cooldown. You can be aggressively positioned on the map when it's on cooldown, and you can hide in the fountain when it's not.

It isn't a perfect situation for the Abathur, but it's better than dying constantly.