Unlocking heroes is too slow and grindy.

General Discussion
Unlocking heroes is realy slow and grindy. 30/20 gold per pvp game is nothing when compared to 10000 gold that is needed to unlock most expensive characters.
For new players I imagine it is very frustrating.
For new players, most of your new heroes will come from leveling the heroes you do have access to. The first 5 levels go very fast, and you will get 500 gold for each hero when you hit level 5, 10, 15, and so on. In addition, you will be getting loot boxes each time you do level. Do not waste gold on rerolling these when you are new, save that for purchases, but those boxes will have a chance to contain a hero, and if your roster is small, it is less likely you will get a duplicate.

Although it is grindy, it isn't as bad as other games I have played, you just have to be efficient with it.
Some heroes need to have their cost reduced i agree.That being said it is a FTP game so you kinda have to play more if you want to have things without paying.
Grinding in unranked helps because no matter what the games go toward quest completion. My roster is pretty big but just from casually playing ranked I usually have enough gold for each new hero release by the time they roll around.
09/19/2018 11:03 AMPosted by MacWeak
Some heroes need to have their cost reduced i agree.That being said it is a FTP game so you kinda have to play more if you want to have things without paying.

No each hero should be free from the get go.

Skins would still bring hots as much money.

This is what keeps most new players from the game.

Dota2 has skins that go up to 120 bucks that are sold. But all heroes are f2p from the start.
09/19/2018 10:34 AMPosted by IMMORTALFIRE
Unlocking heroes is realy slow and grindy. 30/20 gold per pvp game is nothing when compared to 10000 gold that is needed to unlock most expensive characters.

Quest and levels.
Wihtin 1 week youll be good to get a new one simply by playing 2-4 games a day .
Unocking heroes is realy slow and grindy. 30/20 gold per pvp game is nothing when compared to 10000 gold that is needed to unlock most expensive characters.

Some of the best chars are also the cheapest.

Diablo, Raynor, Azmodan, Lili are 2000G

Uther, Tyrande, Johana, Muradin, Thrall, Sonya, Nazeebo, Kerrigan, Zagara and Tyreal are all 4000G

Out of 83 heroes, only 36 are 10 000G. And a lot of those you wouldn't play, or aren't very good.
(Would you pay 10 000G for Zarya?)
Grinding gold is not your main gold income. Stimpacks make worthwhile tho.

Most gold is made by quests anyway and it is basically passive gain, you don't have to play many games to fulfill every quest (AI for super fast quest clear if you don't have much time).

It is way more casual friendly that way than for example LoL. In LoL the best way to gain gold is play as many games as possible.

Maybe a system could be implemented to make the game more accessible to new players, like either reintroduce the 2.0 hero bundles or reduce the cost of the first X 10k gold hero buys by X%.
09/19/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Rima
Grinding gold is not your main gold income. Stimpacks make worthwhile tho.

Most gold is made by quests anyway and it is basically passive gain, you don't have to play many games to fulfill every quest (AI for super fast quest clear if you don't have much time).

It is way more casual friendly that way than for example LoL. In LoL the best way to gain gold is play as many games as possible.

Maybe a system could be implemented to make the game more accessible to new players, like either reintroduce the 2.0 hero bundles or reduce the cost of the first X 10k gold hero buys by X%.

I don't want to buy stim packs and unlocking heroes in Lol feels faster than in Hots.
Just don't be to closefisted to spend money for something that brings you a lot of fun - problem solved.

Or if you really want to play the "free to play" game - be happy with what the game offers you. Free to play heroes every week. Level them and sooner or later you can buy them with gold.
Nothing in life is free ... you need either money or patience.

Got to make sure people are hitting those RNG boxes....
09/19/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Ainz
09/19/2018 11:03 AMPosted by MacWeak

No each hero should be free from the get go.

Skins would still bring hots as much money.

This is what keeps most new players from the game.

Dota2 has skins that go up to 120 bucks that are sold. But all heroes are f2p from the start.

I'd rather have to play to unlock heroes and have free skins with shards than having all heroes and paying 120 bucks for some skins each time i have one i like (and people dare say the cheer mount that costs 100 bucks is retarded (which it is) or cry buckets at gem-only skin bundles).

I can argue that having the whole roster from the get go can also overwhelm new players and disaster can occur fast if someone picks Abathur/TLV/Medivh to name a few as a first entry to the game.

That being said while i wouldn't advocate for full free roster i would like to have some free/very low gold price starter packs for new players.

Also giving the whole roster makes smurfing even easier and abusable and i would rather make their lives harder not the contrary.

You're ignoring quest gold, which is the primary way to earn gold.
09/19/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Xoxin

Even with gold from quest it still is slow.
2.0 bundles sure made it easier to access the game.
Well, yeah. Thats the whole reason behind a cash cow game, Blizzard wants you to spend real money on heroes, not to unlock them by playing.
09/19/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Raoul9753
Well, yeah. Thats the whole reason behind a cash cow game, Blizzard wants you to spend real money on heroes, not to unlock them by playing.

b..b...b..ut the game is free!!
09/19/2018 11:41 AMPosted by IMMORTALFIRE
09/19/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Xoxin

The game is free. No F2P game will ever make it super fast to unlock characters.

Though I do wish new players started with 3 heroes at least.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

The game is free. No F2P game will ever make it super fast to unlock characters.

Though I do wish new players started with 3 heroes at least.

are we supposed to pretend that dota 2 doesn't exist ?