Any advice to improving as Genji?

General Discussion
Never really played Genji in the past, and the few times I did I never could do that well with him. And the game decided to give him to me from a box today.

So thought i'd give him another try because of this. Anyone able to get me some quick advice to improving with him? My main issue is actually getting dash resets. It seems most of the time actually killing a target with the dash doesn't give a reset, but they have to survive it THEN die shortly after. Is this right? Or is my timing just bad with it?

Also i'll be happy to take advice for anything else Genji related. And please no "Pick someone else" those don't help.
Dont underestimate his AA damage is imo the most important tip since the day 1.
My main issue is actually getting dash resets. It seems most of the time actually killing a target with the dash doesn't give a reset, but they have to survive it THEN die shortly after.
They reduced damage, so... Either timing or you should work on your Strike At The Heart accuracy.
Dont forget to throw at least 1 AA/Shuriken right after dash (depends on the distance).
Check youtubers like NotParadox, as he gives pretty good advice and has a few genji videos, not alot, he covers just about every hero, but they could help.

Am not a heavy player of Genji but I can give general observations from my own experiences playing him or watching friends who are arguably better at him.

You probably wanna use the dash attack against someone with a smirch of health left, once your more familiar with how much damage the dash actually applies, you could get away with a bit more; also considering even if you miss, you should be able to shotgun the shuriken immediately. Try not to be too greedy, as with most dive assassins, it may end up blowing up in your face if you tunnel vision on a kill too hard; there's no "actual" reason to get a kill(unlike something like Butcher who gets stacks for it)so its better to be patient and go for stuff that looks sure to land one, don't be afraid to gank with your team, usually the best use of Genji in my opinion.

Edit: person who posted before I could brought up something else: never forget to AA, stutter stepping is pretty lethal with him, considering his mobility.
Far from a pro with him but the tricks I've learned to playing him are:

- You want to use up all your Q charges before they refill because youll always get back the full set so you're sorta wasting charges if you don't use the full set each time.

- Poke with Q every chance you get

- Do not dash into the enemy lines unless you're sure you can get a kill and reset

- Don't be afraid to use your X-Strike to escape in a pinch you're invincible while doing the animation. You lose some damage but youll lose a lot more from dying
Watch the MineRocker Genji compilation videos on YouTube and get inspired
This is my "6 beers bruiser" Genji playstyle that somehow works half the time.

Always Agile Dismount, spell shield on jump, and double jump.

D in from across the screen.

Shotgun Q's from melee range. Remember to put an AA in between each Q, then cancel the last hit animation with the next Q. It will register 3 hits and a Q in the time span of 2 hits.

If the enemy even looks at you funny, turn on W, then D out. If they get you with a long CC, don't be afraid to x strike - you probably baited several ults with your shiny exposed robobutt. You are burning enemy cooldowns in this first pass.

Now your allies will hopefully engage a fully exhausted enemy team - no big hitting skills, half their ults, no CC left. Your job is done, but feel free to quickly mount, then instantly D in again for the cleanup. It is important to mount up before jumping in again, you need to have the extra range and cooldown reduction on your D. Save E for resets - it's barely needed for mobility.

This is especially effective if you save this strategy for the level 20 team fight. Do the "conventional, but just really bad at him" Genji playstyle for the first part of the game, then do the "6 beers bruiser" move at the final fight. ("Finally, this hopeless jerk messed up big time, I'll wipe him out of existence here and now.") They will see so many dollar signs, you likely bait the entire kit of all 5 heroes into your protected or empty ground.
My best advice would be to just play a ton of games with him, like nothing but Genji for a week straight. Above all other heroes, when playing Genji you have to understand the flow of battle.... where the enemy wants to advance / retreat, when they will retreat, what abilities they have that can stop or evade you... If you just play a lot of games you will get a good feel of when to dive in, when to retreat, what are your best targets, etc.

My Genji is only level 25 but that is how I've gotten pretty good with him and other high mobility heroes like Tracer and Zeratul.

09/22/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Faellin
My main issue is actually getting dash resets. It seems most of the time actually killing a target with the dash doesn't give a reset, but they have to survive it THEN die shortly after. Is this right? Or is my timing just bad with it?

Killing a target with swift strike will immediately reset the cooldown. A couple tips would be:

-Choose your targets wisely, especially if you absolutely need that reset. For example, if you have a choice then Azmodan, Kael'thas, and Guldan are all excellent targets because they move slow and lack mobility skills, making them basically a guarenteed hit.

-Use choke points to your advantage. Think about their likely path of escape and it will make it much easier to hit.

-When first playing Genji try to aim your swift strike about 25% behind your target, unless you are really skilled. The reason being, having more distance between the end of your swift strike and your target increases the angle by which you will successfully hit your ability (and thus increases the margin of error).
Teleport across the map, kill the entire enemy team, then disappear. Congratulations on picking the most powerful hero by far.