Anyone know WHY matchmaking is so bad?

General Discussion
QM I don't really care about.

But Unranked matchmaking is horrible. Why is it so bad?
Because Blizzard is completely out of touch with their playerbase and their game. They've shown us for a pretty long time now, that they simply don't care.
Uneducated mislead playerbase that ultimately shows lack of leadership and direction from the game developers.

Add lack of resourcess (workers who work in the game) and neglecting in the mix, and you get the picture

I'm talking about QM.
Another Firesoup thread on matchmaking, nothing to see here
Possible reasons:
- smurfs, bought accounts and sometimes premades screw up mmr
- ppl's skill are hard to categorise with numbers or ranks (sometimes they play competitive, sometimes casual; sometimes they can focus, sometimes they can't; tilted or not; playing with a Hero they can play vs a Hero they can't; better with Heroes than with draft; etc)
Low playerbase, MMR averaging, initial seeding, high uncertainty for MMR at start... Take your pick really there is a lot more of smaller things wrong on top of these but those 4 would be the most major problems.
Because we don't start from zero MMR but there are lot of players who would deserve to be close to zero. These baddies/casuals would lose incredible amount of games until they get to their real MMR but who wants to play a game only to lose? They get free wins and keep playing because they "have fun" and the hardcore players get free losses and keep playing because thats's why they are hardcore players.
Rhitoric question. Of course it's Blizzard did.
09/16/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Amei
Because we don't start from zero MMR but there are lot of players who would deserve to be close to zero. These baddies/casuals would lose incredible amount of games until they get to their real MMR but who wants to play a game only to lose? They get free wins and keep playing because they "have fun" and the hardcore players get free losses and keep playing because thats's why they are hardcore players.

and let's not forget the guy with 10 alt accounts cause he afks the moment something goes bad and makes 4 guys lose games and mmr constantly
MMR averaging, mentor-new player buddy system, smurfing, multiple people playing the same account (parents/kids), smaller player base, alcohol, drugs, and probably a lot more.
09/16/2018 12:13 PMPosted by FireSoup

You should care because QM and unranked use the same doodoo matchmaking system. even ranked games use a similarly crap system.

-mmr averaging.

-potentially bad/faulty algorithm for MMR calculation.

-a system that purposefully refuses to put you in games with players of similar skill, possibly to force you to lose games ( I said possibly because I don't think it's been 100% confirmed).

-punishment system that often silences good players/players who want to play HOTS (aka the players trying to make play, shotcall, communicate, fix bad play on the team, etc) and refuses to suspend bad players/people who don't want to play HOTS (aka people who afk lane, refuse to participate in meaningful ways, feed, type gg 2 minutes in after feeding 4 times, etc).

-ever decreasing player count.

and I dont care about ranked or unranked.

Small player pool divided by 7 different play modes.
09/16/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Karabars
Possible reasons:
- smurfs, bought accounts and sometimes premades screw up mmr
- ppl's skill are hard to categorise with numbers or ranks (sometimes they play competitive, sometimes casual; sometimes they can focus, sometimes they can't; tilted or not; playing with a Hero they can play vs a Hero they can't; better with Heroes than with draft; etc)

These are not rly the reasons. The reason URD matches are disgustingly bad, is because URD matches alow for a high mmr discrepency. So even won games arent that fun because you had to carry 4 others. URD also allow for premades to go by without any significant mmr difference to the non premade team AND they even allow for mmr up to 500 average mmr difference between non premade teams. All these factors makes for some poor matches that have no competetiveness at all.

TLDR. Bli$$ is mong.
Hard to create fair matches with such a small player pool to draw from

Small playerbase and MMR based on the player and not on the heroes that the player plays (at least for QM). For HL if you are a tank main, and get pushed into support then are you really the rank that you are at ? Can someone be Master Tank but Diamond 2 or 3 support. That's what has to be taken into account when deciding point differential.
The game can't assess skill correctly due to the way it's designed to be played. No players can really shine on the team so they don't climb. Likewise, bad players stagnate and don't move down.
To be completely honest, the problems with matchmaking have been laid out in these forums across multiple years and literally thousands of threads. That's not to say that you should know what the problems are, it's simply to say that I'm personally done trying to explain them with any kind of hope that it will be changed.

I quit playing the game a couple of months ago, and periodically come back to the forums to see what's going on (Kerrigan and BW reworks look awesome). And all I see is the same turd of a game with a slightly updated coat of paint.

Under the hood, this game is an absolute disaster. The exterior looks pretty good, but as soon as you start interacting with the game's underlying systems and mechanics (matchmaking, the Rank system, reconnecting, replay viewing, snowballing, etc.), that's when pretty much everyone discovers that this game is simply not worth playing. I gave it a good run at this game and gave it the best chance I could ever give something. But at a certain point, enough is enough. 2.0 was the biggest tell of the vision for this game, and nobody should support this trend in gaming.