What IS the point of suspensions and mutes anyway?

General Discussion
Who are you protecting? What's the ultimate objective?

I've said it before I'll say it again. These companies need to cater to the people they're trying to protect. Getting rid of every single last person who is 'toxic' on the internet is impossible, you are not gonna ban all of them, you are not gonna mute all of them. Pursuing solutions in this direction will lead you NOWHERE. Just look at League of Legends, the pioneers of the reporting system, the ones who coined the word "toxic" used in this context. Thousands of bans and 8 years later, has anything really changed? No. League is still known as one of the, if not the most toxic community in online gaming.

The illusion of a toxicity-free moba (or game) is just that, an illusion, ESPECIALLY if said game is free to play. A player knowing that someone they reported got suspended or banned might make them smile thinking they either got their revenge, or contributed to a cleaner game, but is that really the case? Who says his next game can't have an equally obnoxious teammate? Suspensions are nothing more than a placebo effect.

A punishment might be in order, but this isn't the proper approach. As you can see, I've created a new account after a 2 weeks ban because well, nothing stops me from doing so. I'm not going out of my way to insult anyone or anything, I'm just behaving as always if not a little too quiet. Because that's what Blizzard wants to enforce. Games where no one says absolutely anything. Not a single piece of banter in over 20 games from level 0 to 11. Awesome.

League had a good idea in giving free goods to people with impeccable behavior. A neat idea that could be more polished. I don't see why not, seeing how far and away Blizzard goes out of their way to ensure anything remotely negative is immediately censored off of their game. The same effort could be put in ensuring exemplar players are rewarded, right?

Get this: a game full of nice, quiet people who never say anything bad is nothing more than a utopia. It is not going to happen. It's simple and basic human nature.
bump
Silencing is pointless, at any rate.

Prevent someone from communicating with a team, which is essential in a team-based game... yet allow them to continue playing the game?

I mean, individual players have the ability to mute another player's text and voice chat. Isn't that effectively the same thing as a silence?
Blizzard aims to make every one happy,including Trolls who like to spam report, its like a mini game.
09/21/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Reported

Preventing people with a habit of driving away other customers from continuing to do so. The inability to fix every problem shouldn't impede them from fixing the problems they have identified.
IMO the reasoning of making the silence system target even more players was to try appealing to the LOL crowd, just like the laning changes were designed to increase the length of the laning phase (making HOTS a bit more like other MOBAS). MOBAs have a bad reputation when it comes to toxicity, especially LOL. By silencing so many players, it's like the HOTS dev team is screaming "LOOK AT HOW NOT TOXIC OUR GAME IS, IT'S SO FRIENDLY AND PEOPLE GET PUNISHED FOR BEING EVIL, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY COME PLAY OUR GAME!".

The problem is that these other moba players are the ones coming to HOTS and destroying the QM and unranked with their horrid play and not giving a crap attitudes. Blizz also refuses to punish them for afking/refusing to participate/feeding.
Psychology is moving forward. Toxic males are trying to stay still or grind backwards. The future is coming and intelligence and emotional IQ are more valuable than pretending to be tough.
09/21/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Morthion
09/21/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Reported

Preventing people with a habit of driving away other customers from continuing to do so. The inability to fix every problem shouldn't impede them from fixing the problems they have identified.

They're not fixing anything though. League is the prime example of it.
You are toxic to Blizzard.

The people that report and ban you without you saying anything, those people do not create ban appeals, do not complain to Blizzard.

You started the thread by saying that Blizzard protects someone. And that doing this and that is impossible.

Thinking that people cares about you or that you deserve to be protected for some reason, and thinking that things are not possible are the reasons of our decisions.

We think we know someone, but the truth is that we only know the version of them that they have chosen to show us.

There will be no further explanation.
There will be just D.Vastation.
The point of suspensions, mutes, and bans in online game is to uphold the underlying framework of social contracts that exist IRL. Many gamers today didn't have those same IRL gaming experiences though, and have been spoiled by constant access to limitless players to engage in their hobby with. They take it for granted and they abuse people for no beneficial reason.

Back in the day, if you were a *%*@*%%#, people just didn't invite you back to their games unless they were downright desperate to have people to play with. If you cheated, they didn't invite you back either. So on and so forth. That's what's happening except these companies tend to be a lot more lenient with the chances they give out.

I've played a lot of table top, and I've played a lot of LAN in my day. 100 times out of 100 I'd rather have a fun night with people that were bad at the game but enjoying themselves than with perfectionist !@#$%^-s calling everyone out while ignoring their own failings.

And the thing is... I'm the guy that's all for talking smack to your opponents. There's a reason for this. I've done it in every sport I've ever played, I've done it in every CCG, and every MP video game that allowed it. I wanted to put my opponent on tilt. So I magnified their bad plays to make them lose focus and continue to play poorly. This helped me win more, though it can sometimes backfire. My own teammates though? I try to reinforce their morale and keep them focused. I want them to do better because it helps me win more. Berating them and treating them like *!@# makes you lose more, and you deserve every otherwise winnable loss it brings about.
09/21/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Digitality
The point of suspensions, mutes, and bans in online game is to uphold the underlying framework of social contracts that exist IRL. Many gamers today didn't have those same IRL gaming experiences though, and have been spoiled by constant access to limitless players to engage in their hobby with. They take it for granted and they abuse people for no beneficial reason.

Back in the day, if you were a *%*@*%%#, people just didn't invite you back to their games unless they were downright desperate to have people to play with. If you cheated, they didn't invite you back either. So on and so forth. That's what's happening except these companies tend to be a lot more lenient with the chances they give out.

I've played a lot of table top, and I've played a lot of LAN in my day. 100 times out of 100 I'd rather have a fun night with people that were bad at the game but enjoying themselves than with perfectionist !@#$%^-s calling everyone out while ignoring their own failings.

And the thing is... I'm the guy that's all for talking smack to your opponents. There's a reason for this. I've done it in every sport I've ever played, I've done it in every CCG, and every MP video game that allowed it. I wanted to put my opponent on tilt. So I magnified their bad plays to make them lose focus and continue to play poorly. This helped me win more, though it can sometimes backfire. My own teammates though? I try to reinforce their morale and keep them focused. I want them to do better because it helps me win more. Berating them and treating them like *!@# makes you lose more, and you deserve every otherwise winnable loss it brings about.
It sucks that you think you are cool. Go play more Hearthstone.
09/21/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Digitality

This! So much this. You are supposed to lower the morale of the enemy team, not your own team.
Since they throw their players in the most unbalanced matches in the history of MOBA game their pathetic reporting system is the only chance that HOTS doesn't get twice as salty as LoL in the near future. It already is more salty than LoL.
Free game.

Ban a player.

Player makes new account.

Logic!
09/21/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Ganelon
Free game.

Ban a player.

Player makes new account.

Logic!

Well, at that point the player has no heroes, so if they want to be competitive, they will have to spend $$$ to get some heroes again, so Banning = Profit?

(If they go the "Make a new account" route, and not the "Just quit" route.)