Offical rules for punishment vs Hidden rules that will get you silenced

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
Simple answer:

Blizzard protects snowflakes who can be offended by anything in this life and world.

So, it doesn't matter whether you break the code or not. Anything can be reportable according to half of this community and blizzard. Your name can be Arthas and I can find it offensive, you can ask me what I want to play and I can find it offensive. In the end, blizz will protect me, and you get your report. This is the abomination mentality they have.

My advice: play another game. Idk, play dota 2 if you want moba, at least you can't be suspended based on fake reports. Or play other multiplayer games with your friends. Or just play single player games. They are the best.
Getting banned has never be about naughty words and has always been about...

09/15/2018 07:03 PMPosted by Nanocat
• degrading others
• insults
• sarcasm
• patronizing (telling others how they should play)
• trolling
• mobbing/bulling
• threats (statements like "report this player")
• Real-life threats (statements like "kys")

o.O

So, unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the OP, this kind of behavior should be a no brainer for getting the ban hammer. Why does this come as a surprise to some players?
Or word it as a suggestion or hint.
"The enemies get experience every time one dies. It is recommended to avoid dying."

You type that in game after I die I'm reporting you instantly, the level of toxicity is just extreme imo, ultimate sarcasm mod

Should I tell you nice things like : "You can use your mouse to move and therefor not get hit by ennemy spells, it is recommended to do so and to also use your keyboard to use spells and not just click them, you will be saving a lot of time !" Is it obvious enough this time ? xD

Yeah it's sad that I would report you for this, but heh got warned/silenced/suspended for far less imo.
09/16/2018 04:15 AMPosted by Archlich
My advice: play another game. Idk, play dota 2 if you want moba, at least you can't be suspended based on fake reports. Or play other multiplayer games with your friends. Or just play single player games. They are the best

Thank you for the advice, I might give DOTA a try. I've always been a huge supporter of Blizzard games and this is my first MOBA.

I feel depressed about the direction the reporting system has taken the game. Today in six Hero League games only three people typed anything. I might as well be playing with AI if people are too afraid to talk, joke talk strategy.
09/16/2018 04:55 AMPosted by Nanocat
09/16/2018 04:15 AMPosted by Archlich
My advice: play another game. Idk, play dota 2 if you want moba, at least you can't be suspended based on fake reports. Or play other multiplayer games with your friends. Or just play single player games. They are the best

Thank you for the advice, I might give DOTA a try. I've always been a huge supporter of Blizzard games and this is my first MOBA.

I feel depressed about the direction the reporting system has taken the game. Today in six Hero League games only three people typed anything. I might as well be playing with AI if people are too afraid to talk, joke talk strategy.

Well, my advice for you to watch some games, and do practice modes in dota 2 if you want to play it. Unfortunately, its community is more toxic than HOTS except EU West servers. The good thing is you can't be suspended based on false reporting. I have 1k hours in dota 2 and never suspended, got warning, etc. You can just mute people and actions are generally and almost taken against scripters, cheaters and people who use racist words and threats. Also, you can't report someone more than one and you are given limited amount of report rights per weeks. I can't understand why our so-called developer team couldn't come up with a similar basic idea of reporting system.

In the end,
Dota 2 is more complex and has more toxic community.
But, its higher leagues are way better and competitive with no-to-less toxicity and report system is just.

But overall, I don't advice MOBA genre from this year on. It is too toxic in my opinion. I started both dota 2 and HOTS due to my friends' push. After they left both games due to broken communities, I also left them. Playing a good single player RPG game is way better.
09/16/2018 04:39 AMPosted by zenasprime

• degrading others
• insults
• sarcasm
• trolling
• mobbing/bulling

o.O

So, unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the OP, this kind of behavior should be a no brainer for getting the ban hammer. Why does this come as a surprise to some players?

Cause at least 4 of those things is extremely subjective and opinionated. Seriously, I can get banned for trying to take leadership and shot in call in a game that takes teamwork to win a game?

Wow. Fantastic.
09/16/2018 04:39 AMPosted by zenasprime

• degrading others
• insults
• sarcasm
• trolling
• mobbing/bulling

o.O

You are being deliberately obtuse. The rules listed above do not align and/or are not included in the offical Code of Conduct.

It should not be the burden for anyone using this platform to be in the position to intuit rules that are not expressly stated. That scenario is detrimental to both customer and company for obvious reasons.
09/16/2018 05:16 AMPosted by Nanocat
You are being deliberately obtuse. The rules listed above do not align and/or are not included in the offical Code of Conduct.

o.O

Perhaps you need to go read the document again because it's all quite clearly stated here without any amount of vagueness.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/

Again, if this document seems unclear to you, it's most likely because you suffer from a social disorder that prevents you from understanding some very basic social norms.
09/16/2018 01:07 AMPosted by StrikerJolt
Man! I can't wait Draco and Morthion to show up in this thread to tell you all that you're just being toxic and deserve to be banned. :D

Maybe, he is? Why have streamers not been banned? Why is Reddit silent on the issue? Why is it only the [famously disgustingly hilariously toxic] forums that talk about it? Maybe, YOU are the problem?

Again, the number of reports decides it, not some rules. I was silenced two years ago for a day because I told Lunara to take the PvE talent on BoE. I learnt my lesson. Was never silenced again.

I've even been getting e-mails from Blizzard commending my reporting skills! And that's considering I played very little over the past months. I think the system is fine.

P.S. Condolences about your loss.
09/16/2018 05:57 AMPosted by Adûnâi
Man! I can't wait Draco and Morthion to show up in this thread to tell you all that you're just being toxic and deserve to be banned. :D

Maybe, he is? Why have streamers not been banned? Why is Reddit silent on the issue? Why is it only the [famously disgustingly hilariously toxic] forums that talk about it? Maybe, YOU are the problem?

Again, the number of reports decides it, not some rules. I was silenced two years ago for a day because I told Lunara to take the PvE talent on BoE. I learnt my lesson. Was never silenced again.

I've even been getting e-mails from Blizzard commending my reporting skills! And that's considering I played very little over the past months. I think the system is fine.

P.S. Condolences about your loss.

I was going to respond to this... but I just can't. You're beyond dense and thick headed and it will just be a waste of time.

I don't facepalm often. So bravo. This was my facepalm of the day.
• sarcasm

These are fine.
Sarcasm takes context in order for it to be bad or good, while telling others how to play is a good thing; that's how community will educate itself.

Asking someone not feed to enemy towers falls under "degrading others" if that players thinks you are trying to shame them.

No, it doesn't.
If the player I'm playing with is feeding, I'll warn them to stop doing that.
How they 'feel' about it is not important.

Shot calling is often seen by many players as "patronizing" and is an offense you can apparently report. This is one of the most all encompassing rules, again like sarcasm, it's down to personal perception. A huge blanket that could punish the most innocent of interactions.

It's not up to personal perception, it's about if it is certain way or not.
I mean, you never understand and keep blaming the evil system, silence after silence. No point in telling you again that me and majority of players never been silenced even if we play a lot. But hey, I guess it's just luck, not because we don't insult others when the first little thing bother us.
OP if the rules were this wide ranging then every single person would be silenced all the time and that's not how it is.

There ARE better ways to say things and sometimes saying nothing at all is fine. I get what you're saying with the "way more things count as a report these days" but you're trying to say there IS NOTHING you can say or do that isn't reportable and that's where you're trying TOO hard to lick your wounds.
09/16/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Draco
I mean, you never understand and keep blaming the evil system, silence after silence. No point in telling you again that me and majority of players never been silenced even if we play a lot. But hey, I guess it's just luck, not because we don't insult others when the first little thing bother us.

Assuming that I've been silenced again and again.

I've got silenced one. Then I turned off my chat and now refuse to play with anyone I don't know. If I got silenced because I want to take the lead and organize my team in a game about team work. Then I just won't type.
09/16/2018 06:55 AMPosted by StrikerJolt
I want to take the lead and organize my team in a game about team work.

Then you are playing the wrong game mode with a fundamental misunderstanding of the realities of interpersonal social dynamics.
Assuming that I've been silenced again and again.
Well a lot of people here are.

If I got silenced because I want to take the lead and organize my team in a game about team work.
Weird, a lot of people call shots, lead and try to organize teams and don't get silenced.
09/16/2018 07:33 AMPosted by zenasprime
I want to take the lead and organize my team in a game about team work.

Then you are playing the wrong game mode with a fundamental misunderstanding of the realities of interpersonal social dynamics.

Oh, shut the hell up. Stop trying to sound smart. You're talking to someone who is in experimental psychology. I'm becoming a clinical psychologist and what you just is blubberish designed to intimidate someone with fancy words. It's not going to work on me.

By the way, I'll even give you a tip. If you're gonna try to sound clever. You should always avoid using the word reality.

You basically just said nothing of value and objectively wrong. MOBAS require teammate. If you don't like the idea of team work. You're in the wrong space socially.

Edit: People's egos and pride or false sense of skill is what cause toxicity. Not me saying "Hey, X rotate that siege camp."
09/15/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Bou
Blizzard doesn't even check reports.

Doesn't have to with the broad definitions on what is considered offensive.

If blizzard's level of expanding the definition what is considered offensive was brought to real life, simply saying Hello to anyone would fall under the umbrella of Sexual Harassment. Driving 1 mile an hour over the speed limit would be assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder. Picking up a penny from the sidewalk would be on the same level as Grand theft, If you happened to be carrying a finger nail clippers at the time it would be upgraded to armed robbery.
09/16/2018 08:48 AMPosted by StrikerJolt
Oh, shut the hell up.

It's not my fault that you exhibit an abject refusal to understand the nature of the social reality inherent to Hero League team play.

I'm becoming a clinical psychologist

One that is in a state of self denial and with an inability to self reflect or obtain an objective perspective on what's actually going on.

People's egos and pride or false sense of skill is what cause toxicity. Not me saying "Hey, X rotate that siege camp."

The notion that you are somehow the authoritative figure in a party of 5 strangers is telling.