So I got matched up against a 3700 MMR Master in Unranked.

General Discussion
Our average MMR is 2500. Upvote to tell "the man" that they need to fix matchmaking. This is stupid.
Well.. at that range there are probably less than 10 people in the world. So according to you he should wait forever until there's enough people in 3700 range queuing at the same time?

I know volatile MMR average is dangerous for most of the cases, but sometimes is a necessity. I'm sure the other team had some crazy MMR disparities too. At least matchmaker makes sure that both teams are handicapped.
09/23/2018 07:23 PMPosted by Kaiward
Well.. at that range there are probably less than 10 people in the world. So according to you he should wait forever until there's enough people in 3700 range queuing at the same time?

I know volatile MMR average is dangerous for most of the cases, but sometimes is a necessity. I'm sure the other team had some crazy MMR disparities too. At least matchmaker makes sure that both teams are handicapped.

It was a 5 man premade with a 3700 vs our 3 man premade with average 2500 MMR. They should have put all 2000's on his team.
09/23/2018 07:25 PMPosted by FireSoup
09/23/2018 07:23 PMPosted by Kaiward

It was a 5 man premade with a 3700 vs our 3 man premade with average 2500 MMR. They should have put all 2000's on his team.
oof... that is rough. My condolences.

The problem is that, as was said above, there are so few people in his bracket that the game has to force him lower. The reason he plays with a team is specifically to avoid the scenario of being forced to play with 2k rated players on his team-- which would likely otherwise happen with how the matchmaker balances things.
If both teams at one point were at level 20 and competing, I'd call it a fair match. It sucks to be on the receiving end of a loss, but matchmaker puts more handicaps on the premade team so the game should at least been competitive.
09/23/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Kaiward
If both teams at one point were at level 20 and competing, I'd call it a fair match. It sucks to be on the receiving end of a loss, but matchmaker puts more handicaps on the premade team so the game should at least been competitive.

Some people underestimate how much of a handicap it is to play against a player like that (or multiple). The difference between a low master and a GM is very high. The difference between a 3300 GM and a 3800 GM is even larger.

There is no fair match if the enemy has even 1 ultra high MMR player and your team doesn't. If they have more than 1 it's a flat out stomp 99,9% of the time.

These people outplay you at every turn. Mechanically, macro-wise, laning, camp timing, everything. That's how they got into top 0,1% It's not fair to put a 2000 MMR casual against a 3700.

I get it, there are too few people for 3,5k+'s to find a match so it puts lower people on their team and enemy team. But it should try to limit that search to people who are at least 3k+ mmr. If no such people are available just display a message saying 'no match found - try queuing later'.
Ruining the game for casual players so that one Master 3700 can roll them shouldn't be happening.
:( poor man. Remove challenges :(
09/23/2018 07:17 PMPosted by FireSoup
Our average MMR is 2500. Upvote to tell "the man" that they need to fix matchmaking. This is stupid.
What about his teammates? Stop spamming the forum
So I found the match you were talking about.

It's on Hotslogs.

You know the saddest thing? Hotslogs is so inaccurate, that they believe there is a 3700 MMR matched with 1660 MMR player.

Naturally, Blizz only matches close players together, so these figures must be woefully wrong. They have under-estimated one player by 1000, and over-estimated another by 1000.

There is no other explanation. Blizz only puts fair matches between even players together.

However, you did play 4 melee into a junkrat and Malthael.
You have no evidence of anyone's MMR other than a third party site which is missing >>60% of all games played and uses a different algorithm to compute MMR. For all you know he could have been a 5 man pre made team of the same unranked MMR as you, hence according to Blizzard the match was fair.
09/23/2018 11:18 PMPosted by DrSuperGood
You have no evidence of anyone's MMR other than a third party site which is missing >>60% of all games played and uses a different algorithm to compute MMR. For all you know he could have been a 5 man pre made team of the same unranked MMR as you, hence according to Blizzard the match was fair.
BWHAHAHAHA... Wait-- Oh, you're serious? No, wait, this is sarcasm, right?

... ... Seriously, if the guy has an mmr of 3700, according to hotslogs, 1 of 2 things has happened; he's uploaded a handful of games and his mmr is being wildly adjusted, OR HE UPLOADS REGULARLY-- Which means in his case, YES, you do have an accurate account of his *own* mmr, at the very least.
The unranked MMR is completely separated from HL.

Which doesn't make any sense, but that is the case for a lot of things the Blizzard hobby matchmake developers are doing. In other words you are matched vs. him because it just averages out numbers.
09/23/2018 11:18 PMPosted by DrSuperGood

Look ma! I got one!

Now, let's go a little deeper into what Hotslogs says -

It says this guy is rocking a 62% win rate across the board. OP is at a decent and regular 52.6%

It tells you he is in the top 10 of players uploading replays in the US region for Unranked. OP is doing good, but not top 10 material (yet.)

It tells you he is mvp 22% of the time.

It tells you he is either boosting the Genji, or they are smurfing with a deliberately low MMR account.

What does the Blizz data tell you?

He wins a lot. He gets matched against people that win less than him and his friend. Blizz knows why, but they're not telling. In fact, it was a totally fair match and stop complaining. No we won't prove it, just believe us ok?
Assuming that MMR was correct, which it probably wasn't, that "master" probably waited in queue for over 10 mins only to get matched against a party averaging 2500. Happens at all levels, and makes for miserable games for everyone.

But if people regularly don't get ANY match after that long, they will quit eventually.
No significant or meaningful fixes are on the horizon. This game is screwed.
Guess you won too much.
Hotslogs means no evidence when bashing MM. For a correct conclusion you need 10 players to regularly upload their replays, and you cannot be sure if they did.

3.7k MMR is really !@#$%^- high that is GM and that every season basically. You are master with 3k easily.

So the guy probably was in queue for a long time until he got into that game.

Also if OP is 2.5 he is around lower diamond mmr which is not too unfair to play against only 1 master in the enemy team. Isnt it?
It was freakin unranked. U N R A N K E D
09/23/2018 07:17 PMPosted by FireSoup

If two friends are in a party together and each of them have vastly different ratings, what are you expecting to happen?