where are all the maps??

General Discussion
Why are they doing this thing where we can only play 5 maps at a time until the next update? Part of what makes hots fun is the huge variety of maps and now John Blizzard is using the live servers to force us to beta test the new garden of terror. There is literally no reason to limit the map pool to 5 out of 15 in UNRANKED game modes.
I know, right? At least they could make unranked draft with more maps.
I think they are doing it to try and improve match quality. Much easier to master a smaller rotation of maps. I kinda like it, it doesn't feel as overwhelming. I'm able to really focus and learn map timers and strategies. One of the criticisms Heroes gets is player knowledge. If we only had Cursed Hollow since Alpha I'm sure the game would be very different. It's just a fact if you have to spread your attention and knowledge base to so many maps you won't be able to optimally play every single one of them.

Fortunately I like every single map in this rotation.
Whats the new rotation?
09/25/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Akira
I think they are doing it to try and improve match quality. Much easier to master a smaller rotation of maps. I kinda like it, it doesn't feel as overwhelming. I'm able to really focus and learn map timers and strategies. One of the criticisms Heroes gets is player knowledge. If we only had Cursed Hollow since Alpha I'm sure the game would be very different. It's just a fact if you have to spread your attention and knowledge base to so many maps you won't be able to optimally play every single one of them.

Player knowledge is the responsibility of the individual player. It would be no different than Blizzard seasonally banning 2/3 of the cast because "it's too many characters for new players to learn how to play against" (I really hope this doesn't give them any ideas). Also, a few months ago they added a little silhouette of the objective like a minute before it is even announced to spawn, so map timers are honestly irrelevant at this point. These new maps are all pretty much the same anyways.

>Alterac
>Garden
>Towers
and to some extent >Dragon Shire
>Cursed Hollow (though this is now out of the rotation)

teamfight at the channeled objective

Compare this to maps that are out of the rotation like Tomb, Sky Temple, Mines, etc. All different maps with interesting gameplay variety. For all we know, soon they're gonna add an unfun "totally not Summoners Rift" map and then limit the map pool to 1.
09/25/2018 09:58 AMPosted by TimeSpike
Whats the new rotation?

Alterac, Dragon Shire, Hanamura, Garden, and Towers.
I absolutely HATE map rotations.
09/25/2018 10:03 AMPosted by DJIVVI
Whats the new rotation?

So they didn't even rotate all the maps? WTF!
Boycott dev's team. Exept painters of course.
bump, please lets try to get the dev team to see this and remove the rotation or at least give us an actual explanation.
09/25/2018 10:02 AMPosted by DJIVVI
09/25/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Akira

Player knowledge is the responsibility of the individual player. It would be no different than Blizzard seasonally banning 2/3 of the cast because "it's too many characters for new players to learn how to play against" (I really hope this doesn't give them any ideas). Also, a few months ago they added a little silhouette of the objective like a minute before it is even announced to spawn, so map timers are honestly irrelevant at this point. These new maps are all pretty much the same anyways.

>Alterac
>Garden
>Towers
and to some extent >Dragon Shire
>Cursed Hollow (though this is now out of the rotation)

teamfight at the channeled objective

Compare this to maps that are out of the rotation like Tomb, Sky Temple, Mines, etc. All different maps with interesting gameplay variety. For all we know, soon they're gonna add an unfun "totally not Summoners Rift" map and then limit the map pool to 1.

You know why they are doing it, right?
Read the comics and pay attention to what Realms Raven Lord tried to conquer.
All of the maps in the rotation are the ones that Raven Lord attacked.
I like the idea. Those maps have a higher chance to get them, i believe. You can still get the other maps.
09/25/2018 10:03 AMPosted by DJIVVI
Whats the new rotation?

That's not new. That's the exact same !@#$%^- rotation they've been using for the past month, even before this update.

We need to start spam-filing tickets about this. Something, anything to get these !@#$%^-s to listen. This is beyond ridiculous.
In my opinion, a 5 map rotation is BORING.

Just let us have all the maps available. I have been reporting the limited map availability as a bug, then I look at the patch notes and it says this is intended! I could swear that the devs agreed at one time not to limit the maps available for unranked.
I don't like it either, but usually this is done to increase the odds of receiving the "new" map, in this case the reworked Garden. The other featured maps are ones that were disabled during the same kind of promotion for Alterac.
5 maps for a veteran player is very annoying, I can understand on a new account to help a new player learn, it gets old quick.
At this point I even miss BHB and BH.

Really can't stand Alterac Pass .. and now I have to play that map again for god knows how long ...

Also really really miss playing Warhead Junction .. :(
(haven't checked ranked rotation yet, though)
09/25/2018 09:38 AMPosted by DJIVVI
Why are they doing this thing where we can only play 5 maps at a time until the next update? Part of what makes hots fun is the huge variety of maps and now John Blizzard is using the live servers to force us to beta test the new garden of terror. There is literally no reason to limit the map pool to 5 out of 15 in UNRANKED game modes.

The other maps are being reworked.
All I get is Towers of Doom.
They done this exact same thing when Alterac Pass was released is to force players to play it more to gather more information. Overall the community despised it heavily and after month give or take blizzard re added the other maps back into the rotation.

Blizzard this 5 map system you guys enforce upon players is utter crap. Players want variety and not play the same 5 maps over and over.