The game isn't "dying"

General Discussion
People have yelled this nonsense since the game was released. What's happening right now is that people are playing all the new videogames that have recently come out right now. It happens every year. We are at that time period where new games get announced/released. This game isn't going anywhere.
what new games? xD

there's not much noteworthy that came out as of late...

game isn't dying, the community is corrupt and leaving these cesspool games because blizzard doesn't give a flying s... for what's going on and encourages smurfs and trolls to buy more copies... further enhancing the base problem.

and as long as there are smurfs, blizzard will keep their servers running... simple as that.
Highly Rated
My que times have steadily increased over the last 6 months ..

I'm seeing the same players in QM and HL more frequently (in HL i'm matched with the same players over and over just on different teams)

The reddit sub has less and less posts in recent months

Streamers are abandoning the game

New features/skins/heroes are releasing with far less frequency

My friend list is a ghost town over the last several months with less and less players

Hotslogs is showing smaller sample sizes in terms of 'games played' with their hero stats

Although this forum "looks" very active, the large majority of posts are people debating blizzard's draconian policies/viability as a gaming company more than anything to actually do with the game itself

If these are not signs that the game is dying then i don't know what is
09/12/2018 08:16 AMPosted by Bukkit
the community is corrupt and leaving these cesspool games because blizzard doesn't give a flying s... for what's going on and encourages smurfs and trolls to buy more copies
Game is free my dude.
09/12/2018 08:23 AMPosted by Copypastable
the community is corrupt and leaving these cesspool games because blizzard doesn't give a flying s... for what's going on and encourages smurfs and trolls to buy more copies
Game is free my dude.

The game is not free .. it's freemium with p2w elements (e.g. queing up for hero league without a complete roster to synergize and counter pick with puts your team at a major disadvantage)
Game is free my dude.

OW is not... and who's stopping them from creating smurfs for HotS?

try reading inbetween the line from time to time... makes you sound less salty
09/12/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Medicare4ALL
...Game is free my dude.

The game is not free .. it's freemium with p2w elements (e.g. queing up for hero league without a complete roster to synergize and counter pick with puts your team at a major disadvantage)
You can be grandmaster with the minimum required heroes to queue for ranked mode. Even one-tricks have done it.
09/12/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Bukkit
...Game is free my dude.

OW is not... and who's stopping them from creating smurfs for HotS?

try reading inbetween the line from time to time... makes you sound less salty
You just left some salt crumbs on me, my man.
09/12/2018 08:30 AMPosted by Copypastable
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You can be grandmaster with the minimum required heroes to queue for ranked mode. Even one-tricks have done it.

I guess i technically could, but it still isn't optimal thus giving the players who have a full roster of heroes to pick/counter pick with an advantage.

you can either grind your way to owning all the heroes (hundreds if not thousands of hours at this point) .. or pay what now amounts to $500-$1000 to unlock them all
The game itself is not dying, but Blizzard is doing their best to murder the game. That's 2 different things.

Wow. Self contradictions galore. Where to begin?

The game is not free

Did you pay to download it? Did you pay to play your first game? Nope. Free.
That is the definition of a free game.

p2w elements

The game is certainly NOT pay to win (p2w). Microtransactions have no affect on the game. If you buy a hero with coins or with cash... its the same outcome.

puts your team at a major disadvantage

Having people that bought a bunch of heroes they don't understand is actually worse than having a person with the minimum required heroes to queue for ladder play who is forced to earn the coins to buy the next hero. The P2W person will be clueless while the free player will have seen and experienced the game more.
09/12/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Werbs713
The game itself is not dying, but Blizzard is doing their best to murder the game. That's 2 different things.

wtf does this even mean ?

i am a hartdcore player with thousands of hours on record since 2015 to present

the game is definitely suffering major population issues and there's less activity in the community platforms than ever before

nobody is talking about this game anymore outside of these forums and reddit, not even blizzard themselves
09/12/2018 08:40 AMPosted by NovaBlazer

The game is not free

p2w elements

The game is certainly NOT pay to win (p2w). Microtransactions have no affect on the game. If you buy a hero with coins or with cash... its the same outcome.

puts your team at a major disadvantage

Having people that bought a bunch of heroes they don't understand is actually worse than having a person with the minimum required heroes to queue for ladder play who is forced to earn the coins to buy the next hero. The P2W person will be clueless while the free player will have seen and experienced the game more.

if both players are of equal skill/competency the person who has the entire roster unlocked vs the person who is restricted to the minimum 15 has a major advantage. this advantage can be taken away if the person pays for the entire roster of heroes. this is pay to win.

dota 2 is an example of a game that has no game play elements behind a paywall .. every player is on equal footing with the entire roster unlocked upon queuing up for a game and it's intentionally that way in the spirit of competitive integrity
09/12/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Medicare4ALL
09/12/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Werbs713

the game is definitely suffering major population issues and there's less activity in the community platforms than ever before

nobody is talking about this game anymore outside of these forums and reddit, not even blizzard themselves

That's because Blizzard recently spat in the faces of a great deal of their more frequent players. So badly so that they looked for other games. I personally went from 25+ games a week to maybe 10 games a month. I went from actually spending money on skins/mounts/loot boxes to using my video game budget elsewhere, due to the horrendous report/punishment system. That is what I mean by murdering the game. The game itself I enjoy, but I have little desire to invest time/effort/money in a game that will revoke access without a reasonable reason.
And don't even get me started on the OP hero releases that force you to drop $10 on the new hero in order to be on equal footing with the opposition who likely has a player on the team with said hero.
All a game needs in order to be dying is for its player base to be declining.

That doesn't mean it will *die.* If the player base stabilizes, it will then have stopped dying.

Granted that many misuse "dying" to mean that the game's last player is about trigger the end of days and the coming of the great void, it's still possible to be correct about the game dying. It's just that most of the people saying it don't have the hard data to back up the statement.
09/12/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Morthion
All a game needs in order to be dying is for its player base to be declining.

That doesn't mean it will *die.* If the player base stabilizes, it will then have stopped dying.

That depends on the remaining player size. There is a point where there simply arent enough players remaining to have fun and balanced games (battleborn is an example of a truly dead game).

Team fortress 2 was called 'dying' for 8 years, but is still alive enough to be considered alive (50k players per day), and it didnt decline even that much over all those years.
Sure, for the very high skilled players, there isnt a lot left. As the game ages and is f2p, skill levels went down a lot.
But as long as there are enough players playing, regardless of skill level a game can remain alive. Sure, this game might only have bronze/silver players in 5 years, but if for those players the skill levels seem to be spread out nicely, the game will remain fine for them.
While a diamond player might have left ages ago due to the frustrations those players caused. Its the same reason i left team fortress 2, but looking at the player numbers, its still nearly equaly alive as 2 years ago.
09/12/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Werbs713
09/12/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Medicare4ALL

That's because Blizzard recently spat in the faces of a great deal of their more frequent players. So badly so that they looked for other games. I personally went from 25+ games a week to maybe 10 games a month. I went from actually spending money on skins/mounts/loot boxes to using my video game budget elsewhere, due to the horrendous report/punishment system. That is what I mean by murdering the game. The game itself I enjoy, but I have little desire to invest time/effort/money in a game that will revoke access without a reasonable reason.
These devs have a nasty habit of not giving the players what they want, and if they were on track with doing something right (e.g., certain hero kits, sun's out swimsuits)they take them away from us through reworks or other forms of discontinuation.
09/12/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Medicare4ALL
09/12/2018 08:40 AMPosted by NovaBlazer

if both players are of equal skill/competency the person who has the entire roster unlocked vs the person who is restricted to the minimum 15 has a major advantage. this advantage can be taken away if the person pays for the entire roster of heroes. this is pay to win.

dota 2 is an example of a game that has no game play elements behind a paywall .. every player is on equal footing with the entire roster unlocked upon queuing up for a game and it's intentionally that way in the spirit of competitive integrity

What? Dota2 is one of, if not THE most noob unfriendly game ever. A new player is at a massive disadvantage for many hundreds of hours learning the heroes and items etc. HotS is much less so. It scales very well for new players and by the time you've garnered enough experience to be even remotely good, you've earned enough gold and heroes out of lootboxes to be able to compete. The only people at a disadvantage are those who smurf, since they already have the experience but now need to grind or drop cash to get the heroes unlocked.
I don't think Blizzard will kill HotS without critically low numbers, but I can imagine in the not too near future HotS support and updates will be treated similarly to D2. Once a certain roster size is reached, development may get shelved.