hots on life support

General Discussion
what happened? how do things get worse and worse?
Because people don't understand how vicious cycles work.

I've said it from the beginning, a game like hots requires a critical player population to thrive. Fall below it, and problems with queue times and poor matchmaking quality become commonplace, and this drives more players away from the game. Less players playing worsens the issues and this just keeps spiraling until the game burns eventually.

But the fanboys here will keep on harping on about how Blizzard still keeps Diablo 2 servers open after so many years and Blizzard games never ever die. They don't understand how multiplayer pvp games work...

There's really nothing that can stop the rot anymore. Heroes 2.0 was supposed to, and it did for awhile. But this game cannot stop bleeding players, and it's just downhill from here now.
i have very long queue times for QM (2-5 min) on this level 86 smurf, but I blame that on the high mmr that I should have on QM (like 72% win rate?)

But back when I could still access my main account like a week ago, QM queues popped within 30 seconds on average. Has that changed?

Maybe blizzard should chill with the bans...
10/01/2018 02:03 AMPosted by YourFather
There's really nothing that can stop the rot anymore. Heroes 2.0 was supposed to, and it did for awhile.

2.0 was the reason the game is in its current state today. They had a chance to fix the fundamental problems with the game when they released 2.0. But instead they chose to implement a loot box system. Do you remember all the "Heroes 2.0 but not Matchmaking 2.0?" threads? 2.0 was a loud and clear statement of where the devs' priorities lie, and now they get to reap the reward of their idiocy.
I find the game to be incredibly fun and entertaining and nothing seems to be stopping me from queuing up and playing the game. Nothing has gotten "worse" in the 3 years I've been playing it except that some of the teenage boys here on the forums seem to enjoy being drama queens 24/7.
10/01/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Fiskehude
yep, better ban some more players for calling others "noob" or "moron".

agreed!!! get these people out of here that can't show a little respect and common decency to people. I would rather play with bots than listen to some whiner go on about how they are the best and everyone else is trash...
The exact same old same old MMR and MM systems, coupled with automated silence/ban, can really drive people away. Their gaming experience was so bad that they have nightmares up to this day.
Listen to these kids make excuses for not having a throttle on their baby rage.

It's funny because raging at people and acting haughty about it is some thing a princess would do.
10/01/2018 06:48 AMPosted by Ruffhouse
Listen to these kids make excuses for not having a throttle on their baby rage.

It's funny because raging at people and acting haughty about it is some thing a princess would do.

it's funny how you snowflake princesses dont understand the difference between us.

WE are the ones who couldnt give less fukks about some hurt feelings or "abusive" chat. just friggin mute chat and there you go, nobody can enter your safespace anymore.

YOU snowflakes actively demand for other people to be banned, because you dont like their tone of voice. you even go to mommy blizzney with fat tears in your eyes to make sure that others need to get banned, since they entered your safespace or something.

there is a whole galaxy between these two different mindsets. on the one side we have crying sissies who ask for protection 24/7 and love to appeal to an absolute authority somewhere high above while on the other side we have people who might not like what they have to endure, read or hear, but who certainly dont go to the internet police in order to secure any kind of safespace.
Allowing new players to run with veterans is the issue. Only MOBAS/PVP think it is a great idea to put brand new people with people that have been playing for years.

Nearly every game has a "kidde pool" for new players to acclimate to the game. Most MOBAS/PVP don't and that is were a lot of friction generates heat and it slow boils the community.
10/01/2018 02:07 AMPosted by Reported
i have very long queue times for QM (2-5 min) on this level 86 smurf, but I blame that on the high mmr that I should have on QM (like 72% win rate?)

But back when I could still access my main account like a week ago, QM queues popped within 30 seconds on average. Has that changed?

Maybe blizzard should chill with the bans...

No, still only 20-40 seconds unless you are playing one of the high pop characters. Which obviously increases the queue time.
Of course it is on life support. The MOBA market is saturated and will NOT grow further. Most dedicated players are either playing League of Dota 2. League by the way is NOT a casual game, far from it.

The rest of the small population is split between Hots, HoN and Smite.

Think about all the other MOBAS that have been canned, EA backed Dawngate, Paragon, Infinite Crisis, among the more notable ones.

The MOBA market is saturated, Fortnite has captured all the casuals and stolen away from Overcrapwatchs userbase. Blizzards raison d'etre is WoW and Heartstone.
10/01/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Ganelon
Allowing new players to run with veterans is the issue. Only MOBAS/PVP think it is a great idea to put brand new people with people that have been playing for years.

Nearly every game has a "kidde pool" for new players to acclimate to the game. Most MOBAS/PVP don't and that is were a lot of friction generates heat and it slow boils the community.

I think LoL and Dota have ways to separate veterans from new players, its only this game with its limited player base that has to mix them otherwise a segment of the population would never get a game started. Look at OW, they have 1000pt ranges to queue for ranked games, cause they have the player count to support algos such as those.
What went wrong was that they loosened the matchmaker (atleast in QM) in favor of faster ques.

Ever since then its been nothing but 10 stomps, one close game, 10 more stomps.

I've said it from the beginning, a game like hots requires a critical player population to thrive. Fall below it, and problems with queue times and poor matchmaking quality become commonplace, and this drives more players away from the game. Less players playing worsens the issues and this just keeps spiraling until the game burns eventually.

But the fanboys here will keep on harping on about how Blizzard still keeps Diablo 2 servers open after so many years and Blizzard games never ever die. They don't understand how multiplayer pvp games work...

There's really nothing that can stop the rot anymore. Heroes 2.0 was supposed to, and it did for awhile. But this game cannot stop bleeding players, and it's just downhill from here now.

This is true but the critical population threshold for these kind of games isn't as staggeringly high as many people think it actually is though. I'd say, based on what little information we have and extrapolating from there, that HotS isn't close enough to actually be called a "dying" game.

I think there's a negative feedback loop on this board full of doom and gloom that doesn't actually reflect too much of the reality of the game. That isn't to say there aren't problems, but one has to understand how small the population percentage this board represents as well.
I see 2 types of people here.

People who play just for fun and get offended super easy

And people who want to play to win but keep getting matched with the fun-play people who dont care about win or lose.
10/01/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Fiskehude

yep, better ban some more players for calling others "noob" or "moron".

cant believe these dumb clowns are really running a game.
stop im hurt, triggered and not feeling safe at all

help me!
Lack of communication from the devs. Lack of listenning to player feedback. Unwanted hero/map rework, bad matchmaking, insuffisant action against troll and finally putting the snowflakes population into buble wrap is probably what is hurting this game.

It’s an excellent game but so many details are left untouched.

And finally the obsession on balancing the game around e-sport that is 1% of the player base. Normally, you implement a solid game and the e-sport will form it-self after.