Reminder that quick match isn't for you to try hard

General Discussion
You shouldn't be taking this mode seriously at a competitive level at all. QM is there for people to play with little care and stress. Sure the objective is still to win however you shouldn't treat this mode as if it's Ranked. Balance hardly matters in this mode as it's sole purpose is to get you into a game as fast as possible with little regard for team comps.

if you want to play seriously go play draft or ranked.
Yes, but you should always still make a reasonable attempt to win the game.

QM isn't an excuse to die under enemy towers or ignore objectives/team fights because "I'm the split pusher" or other excuses. Or to feed or play badly because it's your first time with a hero. If you're level 300, you should understand that being on the opposite side of the map is a bad idea. Being on a hero for the first time doesn't excuse rookie mistakes like that.
09/28/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Wraithdagger

QM isn't an excuse to die under enemy towers or ignore objectives/team fights because "I'm the split pusher" or other excuses. Or to feed or play badly because it's your first time with a hero. If you're level 300, you should understand that being on the opposite side of the map is a bad idea. Being on a hero for the first time doesn't excuse rookie mistakes like that.
of course. but people should remember that QM is where new players go to learn how to play pvp. That's not to say we shouldn't correct them but that people shouldn't take this mode so seriously when it is not meant to be.
09/28/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Bloodrush
09/28/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Wraithdagger

of course. but people should remember that QM is where new players go to learn how to play pvp. That's not to say we shouldn't correct them but that people shouldn't take this mode so seriously when it is not meant to be.

Or its for players that don't play HL.
The objective of the game is to win. I don't know why people think they should feel excused from that just because the game mode is QM.
The attitude, "well, I don't consider this to be the 'serious' game mode, TL/HL/amateur competitive is," is why you'll also get trolls and hijinks in unranked, HL, and TL. Remember that the next time you use that same logic in QM.
You shouldn't be taking this mode seriously at a competitive level at all.

play AI games if you aren't trying to win or don't care about trying to win.

QM is there for people to play with little care and stress.

QM exists so that people can get into games quickly. if someone trying to win the game stresses you out or makes you sad, stick to brawls or AI games.

Sure the objective is still to win however you shouldn't treat this mode as if it's Ranked.

what does this even mean? you can't draft in QM so this is a silly statement.

Balance hardly matters in this mode as it's sole purpose is to get you into a game as fast as possible with little regard for team comps.

what does this have to do with wanting to win?

I have an even better thought. Instead of coming to the forums to moan about how the people who are tired of you throwing games in QM are all tryhards, you simply realize that YOU are the problem and should either start trying or move to AI games? seems like an excellent solution to me.
09/28/2018 07:43 PMPosted by UncleGanon
You shouldn't be taking this mode seriously at a competitive level at all.

play AI games if you aren't trying to win or don't care about trying to win.

QM is there for people to play with little care and stress.

QM exists so that people can get into games quickly. if someone trying to win the game stresses you out or makes you sad, stick to brawls or AI games.

Sure the objective is still to win however you shouldn't treat this mode as if it's Ranked.

what does this even mean? you can't draft in QM so this is a silly statement.

Balance hardly matters in this mode as it's sole purpose is to get you into a game as fast as possible with little regard for team comps.

what does this have to do with wanting to win?

I have an even better thought. Instead of coming to the forums to moan about how the people who are tired of you throwing games in QM are all tryhards, you simply realize that YOU are the problem and should either start trying or move to AI games? seems like an excellent solution to me.

my comment was too show that QM shouldn't be taken as seriously as the other gamemodes. This community for whatever reason tries to play this gamemode as if it's ranked.

my comment towards QM being focused on fast matches was to show that again the mode shouldn't be taken seriously as balance is always going to be bad in this mode. Sure you can still want to win but it shouldn't be on the same level as ranked.

Ranked is for competitive people who want to climb and prove themselves better. Draft is for competitive people who want to play similarly without the stress on their mind. QM is for casual people who just want to play fast matches.

If your answer is "play AI" i'm going to assume your the type of player who treats QM as if you should be playing with Diamond ranked players.
You can treat it however you want to treat it. Just because you don't want to take it seriously, doesn't mean they have to stoop to your level. The fact that you feel like you have to go on the forums to make people not care about it says more about you, than it does about them.
No thanks, the objective of a game is too win while doing your absolute best, not throw because it's QM.

This same mentality is on Overwatch with Quick Play "lol chill it's qp" like ok yeah, way to go for making it unfun for your allies trying to work as a team and infun for your opponents for not giving a damn.
@OP, I think we might share a common feeling here. Instead of feeling upset about people getting upset about what you're doing in QM, just focus on what you're trying to do. Alternatively, if you're having the feeling you're having not because you're trying to practice new heroes but because you're just trying to chill and have a good time, then do your best to separate the valuable feedback from your team about your performance from the salt and see what you can do to do better.

I've been learning Samuro. For a little while, it means I was horrendously bad and losing a lot of games, but that's to be expected. Other than executing mechanical parts of playing Samuro I'm not going any practice value out of AI compared to Try Mode, so the next step up is QM. I don't see why I should care if my teammates are upset while I'm practicing Samuro, because I know I'm not going to be a Samuro god overnight and I don't need to listen to people who expect me to already be a good player on him. I do play UR/HL/TL, so perhaps that shifts my mentality about it a bit. But I did plenty of splitpushing and not showing up to objectives, and doing nothing but teamfighting, and now I'm a lot better about discerning important teamfight presence (with randoms) vs. splitpushing. Thanks, everyone who lost games with me while I learned, because those losses paid off! For me, anyway. GLHF
09/28/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Volun
You can treat it however you want to treat it. Just because you don't want to take it seriously, doesn't mean they have to stoop to your level. The fact that you feel like you have to go on the forums to make people not care about it says more about you, than it does about them.

ah i see where people have gotten a misconception. I'm not saying it's not ok to want to win. I'm saying that people should stop treating quick match like it's ranked. People get really worked up over a gamemode that isn't made to be competitive.

the fact i have to explain this is worrisome as this has been a thing for years in several different competitive games. Where competitive players decide to play the casual pvp mode more and they just end up complaining about a mode that isn't meant to be taken as seriously.
09/28/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Ekata
@OP, I think we might share a common feeling here. Instead of feeling upset about people getting upset about what you're doing in QM, just focus on what you're trying to do. Alternatively, if you're having the feeling you're having not because you're trying to practice new heroes but because you're just trying to chill and have a good time, then do your best to separate the valuable feedback from your team about your performance from the salt and see what you can do to do better.

I've been learning Samuro. For a little while, it means I was horrendously bad and losing a lot of games, but that's to be expected. Other than executing mechanical parts of playing Samuro I'm not going any practice value out of AI compared to Try Mode, so the next step up is QM. I don't see why I should care if my teammates are upset while I'm practicing Samuro, because I know I'm not going to be a Samuro god overnight and I don't need to listen to people who expect me to already be a good player on him. I do play UR/HL/TL, so perhaps that shifts my mentality about it a bit. But I did plenty of splitpushing and not showing up to objectives, and doing nothing but teamfighting, and now I'm a lot better about discerning important teamfight presence (with randoms) vs. splitpushing. Thanks, everyone who lost games with me while I learned, because those losses paid off! For me, anyway. GLHF

oh i'm not posting this out of personal experience, but rather annoyance at the amount of entitled competitive players who play QM like it's ranked.
Again, people can treat it however they want to treat it. You don't get to dictate other peoples' reasons or seriousness for playing, just like they don't get to decide how you play. You want to suck a little that gets the ire of some players? That's totally within your right. Just as it's totally in their right to criticize you for doing so. Whether it's ranked or not is irrelevant.
09/28/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Banshee
No thanks, the objective of a game is too win while doing your absolute best, not throw because it's QM.

This same mentality is on Overwatch with Quick Play "lol chill it's qp" like ok yeah, way to go for making it unfun for your allies trying to work as a team and infun for your opponents for not giving a damn.

no where did i stat that you should throw because it's qm. i'm not telling you to not attempt to win but to stop treating a casual gamemode as if it's ranked.

If you have this issue and get worked up over a casual gamemode the problem isn't the randoms that you run into.
I suggest getting a mouse and keyboard. Seriously, git gud and stop annoying me in QM by rolling your face on the keyboard rather than playing the game.
09/28/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Volun
Again, people can treat it however they want to treat it. You don't get to dictate other peoples' reasons or seriousness for playing, just like they don't get to decide how you play. You want to suck a little that gets the ire of some players? That's totally within your right. Just as it's totally in their right to criticize you for doing so. Whether it's ranked or not is irrelevant.

ah the freedom of speech argument. It's ok to be toxic to other players because people have the right to behave however they want to behave.
I don't like setting the precedent that "Tryharding" (toxicity lets be honest) should be reserved for ranked modes.

Trying hard in QM is a wonderful thing. It's super fun when people are all on the same wavelength, REALLY attentive to each other and the enemy team, the map, etc; and all work together to do some really awesome stuff. It's cool in Unranked, too, when your team decides on a funky Abathur comp with a Zeratul/Zagara or something and you end up dominating Dragon Shire because you execute it super well. Those are good experiences, and that kind of "Tryharding" is something I don't think anyone wants to complain about; the kind that I think is getting referenced here is the salt that comes up when people with poor coping mechanisms run into obstacles. Yelling at your team is quite the opposite of trying hard, it's just ruining every chance you have at winning. So I just wanted to make that clarification that we aren't talking about trying hard here, we're talking about abusive chat. Which isn't really meant to be saved for ranked as much as it's to be saved for individual processing or the therapy room. Immaturity doesn't belong in QM just as much as it doesn't belong in HL.

09/28/2018 08:12 PMPosted by Bloodrush
ah the freedom of speech argument. It's ok to be toxic to other players because people have the right to behave however they want to behave.

Likewise I don't think equating "Freedom of Speech" to the enablement of toxicity is an accurate or desirable comparison, either. Freedom of Speech protects dissenting voices and is extremely important. As for the quality of those voices it's up to the community make decisions of their own. "This guy is rude and full of !@#$, %^-* him" is a conclusion many reach when people are toxic in real life. Freedom of speech may allow him to say whatever he wants without being jailed, but there is "the human element" involved as well wherein people are only going to listen to that toxic person if they choose to. So make your mind up. Are you gonna listen to toxicity in your game or are you gonna just ignore it/mute it? It's up to you. You can report them if you feel really upset. They can report you if they feel upset too lol
It's not just freedom of speech, it's freedom to play how you want, which INCLUDES wanting to play seriously, and playing it more casually. It's incredibly egocentric of you to expect everyone to come down to your level, but expecting you to go up to theirs is unacceptable.

The thing is, it doesn't matter either way. People can play however they want to. The only difference is YOU are the one demanding people to come down to you which I find kind of sad.
09/28/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Ekata
I don't like setting the precedent that "Tryharding" (toxicity lets be honest) should be reserved for ranked modes.

Trying hard in QM is a wonderful thing. It's super fun when people are all on the same wavelength, REALLY attentive to each other and the enemy team, the map, etc; and all work together to do some really awesome stuff. It's cool in Unranked, too, when your team decides on a funky Abathur comp with a Zeratul/Zagara or something and you end up dominating Dragon Shire because you execute it super well. Those are good experiences, and that kind of "Tryharding" is something I don't think anyone wants to complain about; the kind that I think is getting referenced here is the salt that comes up when people with poor coping mechanisms run into obstacles. Yelling at your team is quite the opposite of trying hard, it's just ruining every chance you have at winning. So I just wanted to make that clarification that we aren't talking about trying hard here, we're talking about abusive chat. Which isn't really meant to be saved for ranked as much as it's to be saved for individual processing or the therapy room. Immaturity doesn't belong in QM just as much as it doesn't belong in HL.

honestly the best response out of all these comments.