Reminder that quick match isn't for you to try hard

General Discussion
09/28/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Ekata
I don't like setting the precedent that "Tryharding" (toxicity lets be honest) should be reserved for ranked modes.

Trying hard in QM is a wonderful thing. It's super fun when people are all on the same wavelength, REALLY attentive to each other and the enemy team, the map, etc; and all work together to do some really awesome stuff. It's cool in Unranked, too, when your team decides on a funky Abathur comp with a Zeratul/Zagara or something and you end up dominating Dragon Shire because you execute it super well. Those are good experiences, and that kind of "Tryharding" is something I don't think anyone wants to complain about; the kind that I think is getting referenced here is the salt that comes up when people with poor coping mechanisms run into obstacles. Yelling at your team is quite the opposite of trying hard, it's just ruining every chance you have at winning. So I just wanted to make that clarification that we aren't talking about trying hard here, we're talking about abusive chat. Which isn't really meant to be saved for ranked as much as it's to be saved for individual processing or the therapy room. Immaturity doesn't belong in QM just as much as it doesn't belong in HL.

Well if you are going to go die to the boss while we lose the objective teamfight you can be sure you'll be hearing from me and possibly the rest of the team.
09/28/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Volun
It's not just freedom of speech, it's freedom to play how you want, which INCLUDES wanting to play seriously, and playing it more casually. It's incredibly egocentric of you to expect everyone to come down to your level, but expecting you to go up to theirs is unacceptable.

The thing is, it doesn't matter either way. People can play however they want to. The only difference is YOU are the one demanding people to come down to you which I find kind of sad.
the point of the post wasn't meant in reference to how they play but rather as to how they behave towards one another.

More often than not in qm your going to see the super competitive player treat the others poorly due to them not having the same amount of dedication as them. Maybe i should have changed my post in that it is more targeted towards the toxic behavior that competitive players possess so that people would understand the point better.
I only play Quickmatch because I like to choose my hero without the tedious drafting and metagaming concept. Metagaming is not a skill.
I only play certain heroes and have no interest whatsoever in playing other ones because I don't like their art design.
If it makes me slightly less "competitive" than so be it.
I enjoy the wild randomness of Quickmatch. It's perfectly fine by me and I have no reason to go into Ranked because I couldn't care less about my Heroes of the Storm "rank" FFS. I'm not even a casual. I just think the strategy in this game is rather unsophisticated and overly reliant on teamfight combos. It gets old fast.

There is a huge difference between Starcraft II as an esport and HotS as an esport. The latter, I can't take seriously. The game is fundamentally imbalanced.
09/28/2018 08:23 PMPosted by Stryker
I only play Quickmatch because I like to choose my hero without the tedious drafting and metagaming concept. Metagaming is not a skill.
I only play certain heroes and have no interest whatsoever in playing other ones because I don't like their art design.
If it makes me slightly less "competitive" than so be it.
I enjoy the wild randomness of Quickmatch. It's perfectly fine by me and I have no reason to go into Ranked because I couldn't care less about my Heroes of the Storm "rank" FFS. I'm not even a casual. I just think the strategy in this game is rather unsophisticated and overly reliant on teamfight combos. It gets old fast.

There is a huge difference between Starcraft II as an esport and HotS as an esport. The latter, I can't take seriously. The game is fundamentally imbalanced.

is it true that the competitive scene for starcraft 2 is dying? i heard about people saying such things awhile back but wasn't sure.

my comment was too show that QM shouldn't be taken as seriously as the other gamemodes. This community for whatever reason tries to play this gamemode as if it's ranked.

The goal if QM games, unranked games and ranked games is to win. if you feel like you can throw and play like trash because it's QM, you shouldn't be playing it.

my comment towards QM being focused on fast matches was to show that again the mode shouldn't be taken seriously as balance is always going to be bad in this mode. Sure you can still want to win but it shouldn't be on the same level as ranked.
what does this mean? you don't draft in QM so this isn't a good comparison. all 3 game major game modes are about winning.

Ranked is for competitive people who want to climb and prove themselves better. Draft is for competitive people who want to play similarly without the stress on their mind. QM is for casual people who just want to play fast matches.

ranked is for people who want to play ranked. unranked is for people who want to have the ranked experience without the pressure and stress. QM is for people who want the unranked experience but with whatever hero they want. AI is the game mode for people who just dont care and want a relaxing QM style experience without having to worry about winning (since you're playing against bots). perhaps you are confused and think your teammates in QM don't matter?

If your answer is "play AI" i'm going to assume your the type of player who treats QM as if you should be playing with Diamond ranked players.

You don't see the irony in calling everyone who disagrees with you tryhards that should go play ranked and then getting angry that I told you to play AI ( a game mode designed for casual play)?
09/28/2018 08:26 PMPosted by UncleGanon

my comment was too show that QM shouldn't be taken as seriously as the other gamemodes. This community for whatever reason tries to play this gamemode as if it's ranked.

The goal if QM games, unranked games and ranked games is to win. if you feel like you can throw and play like trash because it's QM, you shouldn't be playing it.

my comment towards QM being focused on fast matches was to show that again the mode shouldn't be taken seriously as balance is always going to be bad in this mode. Sure you can still want to win but it shouldn't be on the same level as ranked.
what does this mean? you don't draft in QM so this isn't a good comparison. all 3 game major game modes are about winning.

Ranked is for competitive people who want to climb and prove themselves better. Draft is for competitive people who want to play similarly without the stress on their mind. QM is for casual people who just want to play fast matches.

ranked is for people who want to play ranked. unranked is for people who want to have the ranked experience without the pressure and stress. QM is for people who want the unranked experience but with whatever hero they want. AI is the game mode for people who just dont care and want a relaxing QM style experience without having to worry about winning (since you're playing against bots). perhaps you are confused and think your teammates in QM don't matter?

If your answer is "play AI" i'm going to assume your the type of player who treats QM as if you should be playing with Diamond ranked players.

You don't see the irony in calling everyone who disagrees with you tryhards that should go play ranked and then getting angry that I told you to play AI ( a game mode designed for casual play)?

there is no irony to be had. both playing against ai and qm are casual gamemodes. (i've actually seen competitive players get worked up against ai which was sad)

there is a reason why gamemodes that aren't ranked are referred to as playing casual. lol
I doubt you will get through to the people who treat QM like it's a competitive game mode. They already have to be pretty unreasonable to get in that frame of mind in the first place.

Before I started ranked I played QM exclusively simply because I didn't want the stress of pushing myself higher up the ladder in two games, this and OW. Once I secured diamond consistently in OW I shifted my focus to this game. The difference between QM and ranked is night and day. People who play QM only have likely never experienced the game this way.

It's a shame too, because if we could convert these QM only folks to ranked then we could get these queue times under control.
09/28/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Bloodrush
09/28/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Volun
It's not just freedom of speech, it's freedom to play how you want, which INCLUDES wanting to play seriously, and playing it more casually. It's incredibly egocentric of you to expect everyone to come down to your level, but expecting you to go up to theirs is unacceptable.

The thing is, it doesn't matter either way. People can play however they want to. The only difference is YOU are the one demanding people to come down to you which I find kind of sad.
the point of the post wasn't meant in reference to how they play but rather as to how they behave towards one another.

More often than not in qm your going to see the super competitive player treat the others poorly due to them not having the same amount of dedication as them. Maybe i should have changed my post in that it is more targeted towards the toxic behavior that competitive players possess so that people would understand the point better.
I don't think that's what you meant though. your post is dripping with the attitude exuded by your typical QM Illidans who 1v5 all game and throw in 3 minutes, Leorics who have 15 deaths in 10 minutes that spam "LOL IT'S JUST QM BRO" and others that a lot of us encounter all the time. Literally, your entire argument is "BRO IT'S JUST QM IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO ACTUALLY PLAY LIKE THEY WANT TO WIN JUST GO PLAY RANKED LMOA" which is the same kind of talk tons of us see in QM all the time, always coming from the players doing the absolute worst on the team.

Also keep in mind that "tryhard" is actual scrubtalk. Pretty much nobody who plays any game at a decent skill level uses words like these unironically. you know who uses words like this unironically? the scrub who goes to local fighting game tournaments and drowns in pools, calling people tryhards for blocking and actually know how to zone or do combos correctly. people are going to immediately not take you seriously when you talk like this.
It kind of is, because you're trying to make your playstyle that isn't as serious be the status quo, and it doesn't work that way.

If you suck, and you make it a point to just not try as much just because you're playing QM, you're GOING to get criticism. Heck, you're going to get criticism, even when you try hard. That might run along a continuum from accepting your subpar plays, to being tactful, to being toxic. That doesn't mean people should be toxic, but using QM as an excuse to not play well isn't going to get people to pat you on the back and give you tolerance points.

If you can't recognize that playing badly can annoy others, in the same way that yelling at someone because they are playing badly, and not seeing how they're related, that's again very egocentric.

Rather than be surprised or upset someone wants to win a game, how about you just live with the decision on how you decide to play the way you want to, which is totally valid.
09/28/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Spawn
Well if you are going to go die to the boss while we lose the objective teamfight you can be sure you'll be hearing from me and possibly the rest of the team.

I mean yeah, probably, although it depends on if the fight was a better play than the boss :D

But since I respect and admire proactive leadership so much and condemn whiney passiveness equally, I'd have probably admired some retreat pings on the boss 20 seconds before the objective fight. Also I'd have probably been returning retreat pings on objective if the boss was a better call (certain circumstances on CHollow/Alterac/etc put higher priorities on bosses than the objective itself sometimes) but in the end, we shall go together
OP legitimately doesn't understand the fact that as much as people look down on and smack talk QM (some of it quite well deserved), nobody likes being partnered up with the scrublord who dies 15 times in 10 minutes and just screams "LOL IT'S JUST QM BRO, GO PLAY RANKED IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO WIN LMAO!". People are going to continue to chew him out in QM as long as he keeps up his terrible attitude and making demands of literally every other QM player won't change that.
09/28/2018 08:34 PMPosted by UncleGanon
09/28/2018 08:21 PMPosted by Bloodrush
... the point of the post wasn't meant in reference to how they play but rather as to how they behave towards one another.

I don't think that's what you meant though. your post is dripping with the attitude exuded by your typical QM Illidans who 1v5 all game and throw in 3 minutes, Leorics who have 15 deaths in 10 minutes that spam "LOL IT'S JUST QM BRO" and others that a lot of us encounter all the time. Literally, your entire argument is "BRO IT'S JUST QM IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO ACTUALLY PLAY LIKE THEY WANT TO WIN JUST GO PLAY RANKED LMOA" which is the same kind of talk tons of us see in QM all the time, always coming from the players doing the absolute worst on the team.

Also keep in mind that "tryhard" is actual scrubtalk. Pretty much nobody who plays any game at a decent skill level uses words like these unironically. you know who uses words like this unironically? the scrub who goes to local fighting game tournaments and drowns in pools, calling people tryhards for blocking and actually know how to zone or do combos correctly. people are going to immediately not take you seriously when you talk like this.

the problem with your argument is your using one extreme of a person who is clearly trolling and not using the extreme of the competitive player that is far more common than the troll.

it's targeting the typical competitive players that put the rest of the team down for screwing up one time. You lose one teamfight and they will immediately start insulting you. People wanting others to play perfectly gets a bit absurd in these days.

hell if you can make a fighting game reference then you know for a fact that if it's not ranked, it's casual matches because that's what the community refers too. The scrubs* are the ones in these casual matches beating down new players while insulting and !@#$%^-*!@ them because the new player isn't familiar with the game so they can get away with a lot of stuff that should be punishable.

(*scrubs is meant to refer to a player that behaves like the know the game but in actuality doesn't)
I play QM oly as i dont care about ranka dn i dont have time to wait 5-10 misn to find a game...and i shoudl have good quality QM games with good teams not the shti that is now. Not everyone gives a shti about HL or TL man...some ppl get this...PLAY GAMES FOR FUN! You know the DEFINITION OF A GAME! I expect good match making in quick match because if i dont get good match making then the game just sucks and i dont play it any more....i already took a 3 month leave from the game and it looks like ill be taking another 3 months off because what i ave come back to is even more broken then before...
09/28/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Volun
It kind of is, because you're trying to make your playstyle that isn't as serious be the status quo, and it doesn't work that way.

If you suck, and you make it a point to just not try as much just because you're playing QM, you're GOING to get criticism. Heck, you're going to get criticism, even when you try hard. That might run along a continuum from accepting your subpar plays, to being tactful, to being toxic. That doesn't mean people should be toxic, but using QM as an excuse to not play well isn't going to get people to pat you on the back and give you tolerance points.

If you can't recognize that playing badly can annoy others, in the same way that yelling at someone because they are playing badly, and not seeing how they're related, that's again very egocentric.

Rather than be surprised or upset someone wants to win a game, how about you just live with the decision on how you decide to play the way you want to, which is totally valid.

*facepalm* i'm not saying that QM is an excuse for you to not play well but rather that people shouldn't get heated (toxic) over a casual gamemode. Your thought process would be good if it didn't push toxicity as being acceptable.
09/28/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Bloodrush
*facepalm* i'm not saying that QM is an excuse for you to not play well but rather that people shouldn't get heated (toxic) over a casual gamemode.

You actually are, because you're asking people to accept your badness. They have no recourse other than to criticize you. Why can't you just play better to the point they don't have to criticize? You can see the ridiculousness in that, but you can't seem to for the inverse for some reason.

the problem with your argument is your using one extreme of a person who is clearly trolling and not using the extreme of the competitive player that is far more common than the troll.
because one of these is an extreme (the comp player that is apparently super toxic) and one of these is pretty common (the player who constantly uses "it's just QM" as an excuse for poor play).

it's targeting the typical competitive players that put the rest of the team down for screwing up one time. You lose one teamfight and they will immediately start insulting you. People wanting others to play perfectly gets a bit absurd in these days.
this is an incredibly small minority of players not even worth discussing. yes, nobody likes a dude who goes bananas over ever minor screwup but this is unrelated to competitive players. Do you think masters, GMs and pro players explode in their games constantly?

hell if you can make a fighting game reference then you know for a fact that if it's not ranked, it's casual matches because that's what the community refers too.

there's more nuance in fighting games though because they are 1v1 games. unless you are referring to friendlies, something that is often meant as a warmup, a wind down, a way to quickly practice or even see how good someone is by actually trying to win.

The scrubs* are the ones in these casual matches beating down new players while insulting and !@#$%^-*!@ them because the new player isn't familiar with the game so they can get away with a lot of stuff that should be punishable.

DO you uhh..... actually play fighting games? this isn't really a thing that happens. if playing online, people tend to be matched with someone of comparable skill. at tournaments, new players generally don't actually enter into pools until they are good enough at the game. also I've never even HEARD of what you're describing?

(*scrubs is meant to refer to a player that behaves like the know the game but in actuality doesn't)
a scrub is just a bad player, often one who blames literally everything instead of improving. by calling people who play better tryhards, you are refusing to just get better at the game and take the blame that you deserve.

https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx?lang=en

a really good example of what actual scrubs look like
09/28/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Volun
09/28/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Bloodrush
*facepalm* i'm not saying that QM is an excuse for you to not play well but rather that people shouldn't get heated (toxic) over a casual gamemode.

You actually are, because you're asking people to accept your badness. They have no recourse other than to criticize you. Why can't you just play better to the point they don't have to criticize? You can see the ridiculousness in that, but you can't seem to for the inverse for some reason.

see the key point is the difference between criticizism and toxicity. Should the worse player do better? definitely because nobody likes losing a throwed game but the better players shouldn't abuse the worse player on their team due to their poor performance.

If the person who is playing poorly ignores criticism and keeps playing poorly the person can reasonably be suspected of trolling which is a problem but if a person is actually trying but ends up making mistakes and the best player on the team mistreats them for doing so there is also a problem.

just because you are good doesn't give you the right to mistreat lower skilled players and when playing quick match you are going to be running into a lot of people with various skill levels. So you should be prepared to play with such people. That's not to say you shouldn't criticize them for misplays.

My point is to try to reduce toxicity that happens in QM from the more competitive players. Which is far more common than the person who goes 15 deaths in 10 min.
09/28/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Bloodrush
09/28/2018 08:34 PMPosted by UncleGanon
... I don't think that's what you meant though. your post is dripping with the attitude exuded by your typical QM Illidans who 1v5 all game and throw in 3 minutes, Leorics who have 15 deaths in 10 minutes that spam "LOL IT'S JUST QM BRO" and others that a lot of us encounter all the time. Literally, your entire argument is "BRO IT'S JUST QM IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO ACTUALLY PLAY LIKE THEY WANT TO WIN JUST GO PLAY RANKED LMOA" which is the same kind of talk tons of us see in QM all the time, always coming from the players doing the absolute worst on the team.

hell if you can make a fighting game reference then you know for a fact that if it's not ranked, it's casual matches because that's what the community refers too. The scrubs* are the ones in these casual matches beating down new players while insulting and !@#$%^-*!@ them because the new player isn't familiar with the game so they can get away with a lot of stuff that should be punishable.

that doesn't sound competitve at all, it sounds more like a 1st grade classroom

if you've ever been in high-level competitive anything the participants are typically very quiet and focused people. You don't hear them berating people in 99% of cases, and if you do, it is a shame and the person berating is actively losing respect in their community
I understand where you are coming from, but I find that you need a certain balance. Yeah, you should try to do your best and not play terrible on purpose. At the same time, you shouldn't harass a teammate if they are underperforming.

Edit: Didn't realize having proper manners was frowned upon.
09/28/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Bloodrush
my comment was too show that QM shouldn't be taken as seriously as the other

Why? It's a MATCH.... an actual GAME that people play to win. If you aren't in there to win dont play it. Go to vs. AI and while you are at it, get some AI team mates.