When does this game become fun?

General Discussion
At what point does this game become fun? So far it has been slow and boring. I haven't had a match yet that I felt was good, win or loss.
Balance seems to be the main factor. I think i had 1 close game within the last 10, rest were one sided stomps.

The MM calculator is garbage, performance is not a factor in your rank but rather luck of the draw it seems (in many cases).

The skill gaps between players of the same rank are crazy, many times you will find players who have no idea what the fuk they are doing in all leagues.

Other times you will have those players who queue ranked play to troll or yolo drafts just so that they can have their "fun".

HOTS seems to be a wound that is slowly bleeding out over time, once enough players have said "Fuk it" and move on or queue times shoot up to 30 mins per game then maybe, just maybe will the devs finally give two !@#$s.

I think many players new and veteran alike can relate to your pain during their time spent with HOTS. Truthfully i am still playing manly because of the short game times and the lack of other entertaining games currently on the market.
Wait until they bring more Overwatch heroes, and then we can talk about fun.
09/30/2018 03:34 AMPosted by XxBloodSkyxX

Yea after 3.0 which is all about a brand new currency where you buy Herobucks! so you can buy shards which you can then buy dust with .. which can then buy heroes.
Ofcourse it's boring to YOU, you are a boring person ofcourse everything you do is going to bore you. If you don't find fun in this game, then don't play and get off of these forums they are already full of whiners. /period
You can't argue with me, I am of superior breed.
Pretty much when you graduate from Quickmatch (around level 100 on your account). I just had the pleasure of starting a new account on Asia since I just moved to Korea, and the early part is a bit grindy. I'm almost to where I can play ranked though. Quality of games have been steadily improving as my MMR slowly creeps ups as well.
Once you get to unranked draft / ranked matches.

Quick Matches are just there to learn the basics.
They rarely offer good matches.
Have you played other MOBAs?
I second that Unranked/Ranked is where I've had the most fun, and had the most coordinated, competitive fights. Quick Match is the end game for a lot of people, but really it's vastly different a lot of times from draft games.

More people should embrace the Draft style of gameplay, it empowers you to avoid those frustrating games where RnGesus decides to !@#$ in your cereal, like queueing as Diablo into a Malthael Tychus and Leoric because your win percentage is getting too high. You can still get hard countered, especially if you draft first, but your ability to avoid that comes from your knowledge, (and admittedly pick order sometimes) not your luck with the range.
When you start playing AI
09/29/2018 11:20 PMPosted by DreadKnight
Balance seems to be the main factor. I think i had 1 close game within the last 10, rest were one sided stomps.

This. So much this.

One sided stomps are not fun. Everything on the enemy team countering your hero is not fun. Not being able to do anything is now fun. Winning before 10 is not fun.

I'm a real PVP sport when it comes to fair gameplay, sure you have your assclowns that mock and ridicule, but the game's premise is the mechanics should be fun for both sides. QM matching you against a hero that completely shuts you down is ok sometimes when you work with your team to circumvent your weaknesses to that hero (say genji verses hanzo matchup if you have a BW) but when every single hero on the opposing team can simply ignore everything you do is where the line should be drawn.

QM matches ELO more than anything, not the context of the hero or the context of the map. Heroes like Dehaka can be almost oppressive on maps like nuketown
(warhead junction) but the game doesn't take things like a 5 man poke squad on things like alterac, where the enemy team can simply sit under a fort and poke away and area deny from a distance. It also doesn't take into consideration how fair is 4 warriors against someone like malthael or leoric.

The "Oh no game is unwinnable" argument is a time old testiment that you can still win, no matter how gritty or stupid the win conditions are, you still have a chance. Well if the game's premise was based on winning and only winning, that would be a factor, but last time I checked, games were all about fun, the enjoyment of the player. Comebacks are awesome sure, but getting a 5 man enemy team wipe and just playing on charging the core at lvl 20 after a match that's basically been 50 deaths to 5 is not a fun game. It's not about the winning in the end, it's about the player's enjoyment of the match.

It's why heroes like chromie were nerfed, she was simply unfun to play against and if she didn't do well, unfun to play with. No one likes getting chunked for 500 with no counterplay. While hanzo can surely pull off some ridiculous poke and ranged burst, his entire kit isn't based on nuking you from orbit and playing as safe as poke gods can possibly play, and even then, he had several spell damage nerfs and range nerfs as well.

As much as I'd love to talk more, I'll stop the rant and start answering OP.

09/29/2018 11:05 PMPosted by ZapRowsdower
At what point does this game become fun? So far it has been slow and boring. I haven't had a match yet that I felt was good, win or loss.

I'd say when you play your hero that you take pride in and accomplish what your hero sets out to do. Me personally, I love dehaka, landing sick drags and being a backline harasser is fun, when I accomplish that and my team appreciates it it makes me happy.

If I were you, I'd pick a hero, breathe it's mechanics in and try to be the best at your hero that you can be.

09/30/2018 04:03 AMPosted by Spojad
Ofcourse it's boring to YOU, you are a boring person ofcourse everything you do is going to bore you. If you don't find fun in this game, then don't play and get off of these forums they are already full of whiners.

Then you can play alone when people stop having fun and start leaving.

Asking for help or advice to enjoying the game is nothing to be ashamed of. Mocking someone who's having trouble having fun on the other hand....
Doing that in public to someone would probably get you punched.

09/30/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Nekiah
I second that Unranked/Ranked is where I've had the most fun, and had the most coordinated, competitive fights. Quick Match is the end game for a lot of people, but really it's vastly different a lot of times from draft games.

More people should embrace the Draft style of gameplay, it empowers you to avoid those frustrating games where RnGesus decides to !@#$ in your cereal, like queueing as Diablo into a Malthael Tychus and Leoric because your win percentage is getting too high. You can still get hard countered, especially if you draft first, but your ability to avoid that comes from your knowledge, (and admittedly pick order sometimes) not your luck with the range.

The thing about that is that not a lot of people have many heroes to work with starting out and even fewer heroes that they know how to play well. If people want to work out and make draft the primary mode then people gotta understand newbies are trying to play the game too. Draft was always a massive dissuasion for me because not only did I only have a few heroes to play but the few times I did play it there was always a gripe about whatever I picked. I didn't know any of the heroes at the time, they were little more than gibberish boxes, asking my team what each hero did was time consuming and ultimately a hindrance on the overall performance of the match.

In QM no one took it seriously so it was easier to pick up a hero and just try them out against players while also getting more of a game sense and communicating with people.

"But that's why you have AI" well that's another thing. I was trying to get as many heroes as I could so I could actually be a rounded player and know the heroes better. Unfortunately the only real way to do that was to level heroes to 5, do dailies and play matches. AI is just so much slower and to much more tedious and uninformative of the actual game. Bots will often have mob mentality in which they just deathball all game instead of soak or merc or take tactical options. A medivh throwing a polybomb at them will often result in the deathball simply being silenced one half of the crowd forever. This is counter intuitive to how the game actually plays out with people dispersing.

So ultimately the main issue here is that matching is rather annoying, bots are easy but almost an entirely different game and people aren't willing to accept anything but the best out of their teammates which in their minds means winning.

It's a shame but it can be solved 3 ways:
Remove QM, revise community
Make QM better
Make community more happy with lower ranked players aka lower toxicity.
Ranked is the only fun mode. QM is basically a place to level heroes, learn maps and practice the micro game. Games in ranked people actually try, sometimes there is even communication.
Sounds like this game isn't for you then. If you're not having fun, you should go play something else you do enjoy. This is justjust a game; don't play it if you don't like it.
It doesn't.

It just becomes less bad the more you win. Then the 50/50 matchmaker kicks in and you go on a 10 loss streak.

The if you complain about it in game, even once, you get a 1 month illegal suspension of your account.

Tyrannical dictators masquerading as people who love video games. The reality if they're just an ailing marketing company intent on sucking every last penny out of the player base's blind faith that they will somehow make any of their games remotely balanced or fun.
09/30/2018 07:03 AMPosted by c4ution
It doesn't.

It just becomes less bad the more you win. Then the 50/50 matchmaker kicks in and you go on a 10 loss streak.

The if you complain about it in game, even once, you get a 1 month illegal suspension of your account.

Tyrannical dictators masquerading as people who love video games. The reality if they're just an ailing marketing company intent on sucking every last penny out of the player base's blind faith that they will somehow make any of their games remotely balanced or fun.

Alex Jones, is that you?
09/30/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Roflknife
It doesn't.

Alex Jones, is that you?

Helen Keller, is that you?
09/29/2018 11:05 PMPosted by ZapRowsdower

First is do you want to improve.If so you want to fix your mistakes and improve.This improvement is with learning and teaching yourself to not make mistakes.This is one part of fun that you need to do all the time.

Second is knowing that both teams start with same amount of "fun".

If the match is balanced,hard and competitive both sided gain fun and prb enjoy the game.

If it aint then you steal their fun by playing better and wining. This lowers their fun but increases yours and your team.

That is the fun of competition.

Second is playing with friends and that makes fun more on social part. Having fun with strange comps and the like. This also can improve both the positive and negative aspects of previous statements.

That is how i see it.This game is quite similar to sports.If a match is balanced most have fun if not win more.After all we connect winning with success.
It doesn't.

Agree 100%. I !@#$ing know they all need to be fired, but that will never god damn happen.