Ranked points based on percentage

General Discussion
Let me start by saying that Personal Rank Adjustment Points are not an effective system that helps skills spread in their deserving ranks. And that glaring fault is especially observed when a player has a high win-loss ratio.

A high win-loss ratio should be anywhere above 60%. Giving them just 1 or 2 extra points per win or even worse favoring the enemy team against the high skilled player is a very measly and cheap.

It's basically as if matchmaking is saying "ok I understand you're good, but I want you to stay at the bottom for as long as I can hold you"

So I introduce you the Percentage Based Adjustment Points. Where the higher your win percentage is the more points you get, and the lower your percentage is the less points you get.

Say I have a 70% win rate. That would mean 200 points = 50%, plus 20% of 200. That is roughly 240 points.

This would also smoothen the MMR to Rank disparity. You will not have master MMR players at Plat or Low Diamond. And you will create more fair games.

Case in point. I have a 31-11 win loss ratio, and all I am taking is just 4 extra points per game and 1 other because my team is handicapped in favor of enemy.
All I've gained is just 3 ranks. From Gold 2 to Plat 4. It sucks. If I am clearly better than my peers I should be rewarded for it. Especially when you see I go on huge wining streaks.

This system creates frustration because not only is unjust to skilled players, but also unjust to less skilled players to have to deal with enemies at the same rank but clearly higher skilled.
The problem is that win/loss percentage isn't a great balancing metric in isolation. If you're better than your current rank you'll win more already and climb divisions because of it. So now that your win rate is padded high from playing inferior opponents and you've arrived where you're supposed to be, you can expect to level off towards 50% but shouldn't still be reaping rewards from busting lower class opponents while playing your equals. It also becomes increasingly diluted as you play more games.

There's also the fact that winning more games means losing less points which already means faster climbing relative to those who win less. And it's easy to rack that up against remarkably weaker opponents.

A +20 wins over losses, while a lot, isn't a massive amount to climb on. +3 Divisions is normal for that. It's +4000 points minus placement games. On top of that a consistently high winrate in a short burst will already move MMR (the number that actually matters) up faster than a slow gain of wins over losses over a long period of time. This will either solidify your position or escalate your PRA.

Players seem to seriously inflate the idea of how fast they should be climbing without regard to how many players are in the pool and that they have to consistently prove better than their immediate peers to move up. This mistake comes from the misunderstanding many players have that they should always be moving up and progressing. HL isn't a progression system, even though the division/league mask plasted on over the MMR gives the impression that it is.

You did prove you were better, and moved up. That's your reward. Keep proving it against Plats and move past them. Pulling another +20 wins over losses along the way to 100 games played for the season will be a massive shift in your position already if you pull it off.

--- Addendum ---

Looking at your Hotslogs history you don't have a ton of HL history and entered it after the QM seeding was nerfed. So your HL MMR is "unproven", and easily shifted up if you're really that much better than your opponents. It's not going to hand you the keys to the kingdom on assumption alone anymore because QM seeding was being abused alongside prolific "I'm better than my rank" smurfing using said seeding as confirmation bias and it damaged HL severely. Real Diamond and Master players had to suffer a lot of inflated ego fools who really only made it in by the sheer influx of their numbers feeding off each other.
10/01/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Geisard
Case in point. I have a 31-11 win loss ratio, and all I am taking is just 4 extra points per game and 1 other because my team is handicapped in favor of enemy.
All I've gained is just 3 ranks. From Gold 2 to Plat 4. It sucks. If I am clearly better than my peers I should be rewarded for it. Especially when you see I go on huge wining streaks.

looking at another blizz game.. this is why Hearthstone gives you a bonus for win streaks. be cool if HotS was doing that. 3+ games won in and you get like a bonus 50 points tacked on to your win.