Why is Unranked/Quickmatch map rotation back?

General Discussion
I don't understand, they removed the limited rotation because people were sick of just playing the same battlegrounds over and over again. Why then have they reinstated this dumb-as-all-hell feature?

Even the new rotation has only swapped in ONE new map....
They do it whenever they have a new or reworked map so that people can get familiar with the new map and so they can get data on it before it goes to ranked play but the problem now is that they've chained together a few of these in a row Alterac -> Hanamura -> Garden Terror so we are getting long stretches of very limited map rotations. This is actually resulting in the overall gameplay being more boring and having less variety for a long stretch of time instead of the opposite effect
Yeah, it's not a very good solution IMO

Can't they simply make the new map more likely to come up?

As a somewhat competent programer myself, it doesn't seem too difficult: we have like 14 maps total, right? so instead of limiting the pool to 5, put 3 "copies" of the new map in the pool, so overall it has roughly the same chance to appear as if you limited the pool, but if a match is not played on the new map, then it can be played in any of the other 13, instead of just 4 of those.
(if they still need feedback for the "new but less so" maps, then they can have, IDK, 1 copy of other maps, 2 or 3 of AP and HT, and 5 of new GoT, or something).
Or, maybe, make quests to play on specific maps.
09/26/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Efede

As a somewhat competent programer myself, it doesn't seem too difficult: we have like 14 maps total, right? so instead of limiting the pool to 5, put 3 "copies" of the new map in the pool, so overall it has roughly the same chance to appear as if you limited the pool, but if a match is not played on the new map, then it can be played in any of the other 13, instead of just 4 of those.
(if they still need feedback for the "new but less so" maps, then they can have, IDK, 1 copy of other maps, 2 or 3 of AP and HT, and 5 of new GoT, or something).

This is actually a good idea.
09/26/2018 06:33 AMPosted by mada7
They do it whenever they have a new or reworked map so that people can get familiar with the new map and so they can get data on it before it goes to ranked play but the problem now is that they've chained together a few of these in a row Alterac -> Hanamura -> Garden Terror so we are getting long stretches of very limited map rotations. This is actually resulting in the overall gameplay being more boring and having less variety for a long stretch of time instead of the opposite effect

that is stupid to flip flop between rotation and no rotations based on just having a new map or reworked map. its very inefficient way of doing things.

what they need to do is:
-stick to the 'no rotations' and additionally implement no rotations in all modes
-then implement map spawn chances

what this will do is give all modes (except brawl..because its totally different) the same base layout. which is to say all maps open by default. this can further be adjusted for each mode by the spawn chances.

for example:
hanamura and garden of terror just got reworked. ideally you want to keep them away from ranked for at least 1 week and up to 2 weeks to give ppl an opportunity to look at them in a non-ranked enviroment where they can figure things out. so what you would do is something like:

-15 total maps-
HL wont initially have the reworks (13 maps + 2 reworks).
--13 maps even distribution (7.69% ea.)
--hanamura (0%) <--available but turned off
--garden of terror (0%) <--available but turned off

QM initial release of the 'new/rework' maps you would want higher priority on them. however, you still want to keep the other maps there too.
--13 maps even distribution (6.67% ea.) > reduced to (5.67% ea for a new release)
--hanamura (6.67%) > increased to (13.17% on release)
--garden of terror (6.67%) > increased to (13.17% on release)

i mean this is just what i see could be done. which this just shows a new release circumstance. if they wanted to do a similar thing by prioritizing maybe the top 5 maps they could do that as well, and at the same time still keep all the maps available.
09/26/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Morogoth
that is stupid to flip flop between rotation and no rotations based on just having a new map or reworked map. its very inefficient way of doing things.

Oh I agree it's a terrible solution for the goal they are trying to achieve. What makes it worse is that they have strung a bunch of new maps or reworks together in close succession making the majority of maps unavailable for a long period of time which leads to boredom with the maps that are available. This also limits how much new map content they can do because it's dull playing the same handful of maps over and over. What the point of all these new or reworked maps if it means the variety of maps gets severely limited to get data on them and increase familiarity?

The absolute worst part though is that the people deciding the map rotation apparently didn't talk to the people designing the promotional quests and now we're stuck in a situation where you either have to play sub-optimally in ranked to complete a quest or hope you're with someone that still gets the new player only maps and neither of these are good choices.
They should at least swap around the maps that aren't new. I like Dragon Shire just fine, but holy crap I'm soooooo sick of playing on it the past couple weeks. It feels like every other match I get Dragon Shire. Please let me play on something else. Anything else.
So whole day playing and results:
5 alterac pass
4 dragon shire
6 towers of doom
2 hanamura (i don't like it anyway, so)
and one of each (!) cursed hollow and garden of terror.
Even if I wanted to play new gardens, even if blizz wants me to play it, cuz it's new, I simply cannot, due to broken map rotation. And lets not forget about watchtower quest. Blizz giving us a quest. Simple one. But at the same time, they closing up every opportunity to do it. Kinda troll in my book.
It's not like i really like sky temple for example, but playing only qm this days, i miss it. As well as blackheart's bay. In like a month i've played it only in the last brawl. Such a shame.
09/26/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Efede

It is called a weigth system and is indeed very common on any programmed list where you curate items or wanna put emphasis on. I dont know why they are not implementing it
09/26/2018 06:29 AMPosted by Netherspark
I don't understand, they removed the limited rotation because people were sick of just playing the same battlegrounds over and over again. Why then have they reinstated this dumb-as-all-hell feature?

Even the new rotation has only swapped in ONE new map....

Because the game has a million maps.
I want to farm QM for the new skins, but all I have is five maps, guess I wont get the skins I wanted.