Tips for new players?

General Discussion
I've played HOTS for a little while, mostly on and off, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me! I've really only played vs. AI because I'm not very confident in my moba skills. Thanks!
Macro. Before anything else, you need to learn basic macro principles.
Soaking: If a minion dies within your vision range (the sight circle around your hero) you and your team will get experience.
Experience is used to increase your teams power through two ways, stat buffs and talents. The more talents you have, the more powerful you are, so getting experience is crucial so you can get more talents.

Laning: Usually, there are 3 lane set ups. 1 solo lane top, 1 solo lane bot, and 3 middle. Or, there are 4 bot and 1 top (2 lane maps), and finally there is 1 solo lane top, and 4 rotate bot to mid. Solo laners are heroes that are adept at sustain, waveclear, and good dueling capabilities. Some heroes that fall under a good solo laner are Fenix, Yrel, Sonya, Artanis, etc. Generally they are on the tankier side, and are your "bruisers".

If you're in the solo lane your main objective is to get xp first, not necessarily to kill the hero you are laning against. If you are struggling, play safer, if you are dominating, play more aggressive.
In the first 5 minutes of the game soaking experience is absolutely crucial, try not to miss minion waves that walk into an empty lane, or other things like that.

Camps: Generally camps are used to create global pressure during an objective. They push waves and forts down, and can make things hectic for the other team.
The best times to get camps is right before an objective. There are two scenarios that can happen.
A) The enemy team sends someone to go deal with the camp, putting their team at a disadvantage for the fight.
B) The camp is left alone and gets extreme value.
Try to create global map pressure, albeit through global heroes, good lane presence, or strong use of camps.

These are the fundamentals of macro in HOTS, and through these you can excel no matter what hero you are playing.
tips for new players: don't play hots
Just have fun my good dude
09/30/2018 03:05 PMPosted by Shakou

I second this. It's not worth getting into. The player base is miniscule as well as the skill. If you want more of a competitive/casual environment go to league. League is even more optimized than this game.
09/30/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Necularr
I've played HOTS for a little while, mostly on and off, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me! I've really only played vs. AI because I'm not very confident in my moba skills. Thanks!

One of the most important things to remember is to look at your mini map as often as possible. It will tell you where the enemy team is, what camps are up, where the objective will be spawning, and probably most importantly, where the enemy team isn't. They may be doing a camp or boss, sitting in a bush on a rotation path to ambush someone, or about to gank your solo laner. When you don't see them, use caution.
09/30/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Arms32312
I second this. It's not worth getting into.
Then... leave the forum?

I second this. It's not worth getting into. The player base is miniscule as well as the skill. If you want more of a competitive/casual environment go to league. League is even more optimized than this game.

And why are you lurking here then? Also don't you think if the player base is minuscule, it would be counterintuitive to tell players to go somewhere else?

Anyway OP, another thing you may need is patience, like in any other Moba. Sometimes, the players will yell, argue, troll, feed, etc; just power through and hope for a better game
09/30/2018 04:08 PMPosted by Draco
I second this. It's not worth getting into.
Then... leave the forum?

I'm already in it. Been playing since early 2015. I'm going to respond to every post you make draco. No matter how ridiculous and absurd your posts are.
keep an eye on mini map
learn the CD of characters, ( youll learn when are your safe periods for pokes or offense)
learn character poke distances
be aware of your own weakness ( ei. mine is simple, when im having too much fun or someone is a strong opponent i like to over extend or to do riskier moves to see how they behave or how much i can get away with dying, after ward i usually get back on track and i stop messing around lol )
most importantly , have fun !
They stopped the swimsuit skins. Not worth if you're a new player.
Learn the basic. As far as MOBA games go, this is by far the easiest and most casual game there is. Just learn the basic of the game.
1. How do you get exp
2. What does your hero do
3. basic knowledge of map, like what are camps, towers..etc.

The game is very easy to play. People will try to pretend this game is tough, it's not. It's easy to play, a bit hard to execute because you have to cooperate with your teammates.

Good luck and have fun
09/30/2018 04:24 PMPosted by Copypastable
They stopped the swimsuit skins. Not worth if you're a new player.

Can't you still get fatso Stitches in a bikini? What about junk-in-your-face Tychus?

Now, swimsuits on beautiful female characters is a no-no unless it's gay Tracer. LoL got u, fam. Head over there and they make the skins u want, and aren't ashamed to make money while you get what u want.
09/30/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Necularr

Don't worry, you're likely no better or worse than most other players.

The three biggest tips i can give you are

1. Before Lvl 10, if a lane is empty, go there to get the exp from minion deaths.

2. #1 reason why people fail at this game is that they always want to fight. Don't fight when you're outnumbered, and check your map before you chase someone. His teamates might not be far. Don't get yourself killed trying to challenge a merc camp unless you're certain you'll win the fight. A mercenary camp is never worth dying for. Ever.

3. Grab merc camps only right before an objective will spawn. If you grab them during the laning ,phase, they'll just get killed, because your enemy are in lane, kust like you.
09/30/2018 03:05 PMPosted by Shakou

If you want a real skill based game, go to FOR HONOR.
Tip: DONT get too enamored with this game. It's ridiculously unbalanced, and snowbally. A long time ago, there used to be a "comeback mechanic", but it's long gone.
1. start with easy support (Lili, Morale, Malfurion, Deckard, Rehgar) don't pick Tassadar his MM isn't count him as support
2. watch and learn from other player
3. if you want to deal damage start with hit and run hero like Jaina or Kael'thas
leave AA hero last they need good Macro
4. warrior class should play at last: you must know how to survive with 1v5
5. don't play Abathur so much he can't carry anything
but his team need to carry him
Play the map, not the fights.

Try to always think ahead of everything... Most people just react to what the enemy team is doing.

You should anticipate everything.

And if they are attacking, don't defend, you should push hard so that they have to go back to defend.

Learn to lead the team with actions and words.

All matches have at least 1 player ready to throw, it is up to you to choose the right words and actions to not make that player throw.

Don't chase kills.

Use hearthstone to heal.

Don't let catapults kill your core.

Don't take your boss, take theirs. And push with the boss, don't let it go alone or it will be a waste. Sometimes you just take it so they don't take it but that's special case.

Take camps to pressure before objective.

Autojoin voice chat all the time and say hi.

If you need to go to the restroom, go. Don't play hungry or wanting to go do number 1.

Whisper players from your team before the match ends, like hey, I will invite you after the match ok? And if they say yes then ask them like hey I will add you as friend so we play later ok?

Focus on finding players you enjoy playing with not on learning heroes or tactics.

Don't get angry.

If you get angry just alt f4 and repair the damage later with brawl leaver status.

If you are behind in levels don't focus on farming XP because the enemy will be also getting XP like you, so you will never get to their level.

When you are behind in levels you need to stack your team and gank kills. When you are behind in level and you get a kill you get bonus XP because you were supposed to lose, that's how you get to their level.

Only report people if they disconnect and let the AI play. And don't mention in chat that you will report.

If you mute someone or block them don't tell them.

Block people instead of fighting with words.

You can change general chat channels if you /leave /join general

If the match seems like you will lose, don't stop playing... and tell your team to not stop... You can defend the core and save it at 1% health, and you can wipe their team in 1 fight, take the boss and win.

HotS is super crazy in that sense.

Use the lore from other Blizz games to funnel your fun into this crazy world.
General tips for Hots

-If you have time read Sun Tzu's "The Art of war"

-Confidence comes with experience. Play more games.

-Cultivate a rich network of friends. (People that are there for you win or loss) This gives you both constancy (when it comes to team chemistry) and support.

-Remain positive, and never give up in a game regardless of how bad it looks.

It is the games you lose and are behind where your greatest potential for improvement are, as games were you are ahead most people tend to get sloppy and still "win". Where as to come back in a losing game you must be on top of your game.

-Learn to respect the capabilities of the opponent, and allies.

Loses are tough to deal with sometimes (but they WILL occur) learning to deal with them in a productive/respectful manner can help greatly with learning to improve from them. (ie. Watch your replays critically looking for area's you can improve. If you think you played flawlessly... bring a friend willing to point out mistakes to you)
Follow the map if you can show aggression. Dictate the game conditions to the opponent, play the map. Try to gain an advantage and do not let go. If you lose, be patient, do not give up, use your opponent's mistakes. You can win with 1% of the base, opponent too.