Question for Anub Mains

General Discussion
does anybody USE the beetles?
The build for the beetles is his worst build at the moment.

It used to be his best build a while back, then it got nerfed.

Good character, Spell armor with his W, 2 stuns, good mobility, an isolation ult with a short cooldown.

The only problem i see with Anubarak is that he is very Mana hungry.

But on the topic of beetles I would not recommend using his beetle build in any kind of ranked game.
09/27/2018 02:41 PMPosted by GuardWizard
The build for the beetles is his worst build at the moment.

It used to be his best build a while back, then it got nerfed.

Good character, Spell armor with his W, 2 stuns, good mobility, an isolation ult with a short cooldown.

The only problem i see with Anubarak is that he is very Mana hungry.

But on the topic of beetles I would not recommend using his beetle build in any kind of ranked game.

I didn't think so. I was thinking of how they should rework his beetle talent to be an activateable like Kael's that makes the next basic ability cost no mana and spawns 3 beetles that target & do extra damage to CC'd enemies, for laying up combos and supporting other CC heroes
Generally speaking, I never build beetles. They spawn when I do my other stuff, so the little bit of damage is nice, but I see little point in building beetle. Besides that, even if they were highly overtuned(Which they aren't), they still aren't helping Anub tank.
09/27/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Tekkieduck
Generally speaking, I never build beetles. They spawn when I do my other stuff, so the little bit of damage is nice, but I see little point in building beetle. Besides that, even if they were highly overtuned(Which they aren't), they still aren't helping Anub tank.

... a talent where each living beetle gives Anub a passive 10% spell shield each???
09/27/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Tekkieduck
They can get random tanking value against a skill shot character like Li Ming, but your other talents will get more.

However, they can provide a surprising amount if DPS if ignored.
His beetles have been irrelevant for a LONG time, similar to Tyrael’s trait, it just hasnt aged very well. In a game where heroes are constantly getting tools that can deal with slow moving, low health beetles with ease, there really is not point to them.

Imo, his trait needs a rework. I was thinking reducing his beetles damage and have them give mana and CD reduction when they attack instead. Then give him a lvl20 talent that increases their damage and also allows them to give him health as well. There are a ton of things i think they could do with it.

His talent tree could also use a good cleanup. Even after 3 reworks already and he still has a ton of generics like regen master, BR, hardened shield, and rewind. Now yes, ik everyone(including myself) LOVES their rewind and dont really want to see it replaced, so i was thinking they gave him a personalized lvl20 talent that does something similar. Like how bout one that gives him an additional charge of burrow and impale as well as reducing their mana costs? Once again, alot they could do with that.
When I played HL I used Anub alot. He is an excellent hero to use for team pushes and tower dives because the beetles are able to soak some Fort shots for the team, making your healer's job much easier in that situation.
09/27/2018 04:21 PMPosted by HElSENBERG
When I played HL I used Anub alot. He is an excellent hero to use for team pushes and tower dives because the beetles are able to soak some Fort shots for the team, making your healer's job much easier in that situation.

see I've done that but none of my team realizes well-enough that that's what's going on and wind up sitting outside the base doing nothing like they're wondering why their tank is necking fort shots when I'm not.
Wanted to be sure it's not just me, and just the teams I'm playing on.
Although I don't build for beetles, as others mentioned, they can soak skill shots and tower/fort fire, and they are good at distracting NPCs on Alterac and the new Garden of Terror meaning you can often channel without killing everything first. They can also be useful when you play Anub as part of a dive comp, as they will add a little damage, and can sometimes intercept peels.

It would be nice if they could return mana, as Anub can get mana starved in extended team fights pretty easily.
"Beetle Build" is a bit of a misnomer I feel. Too many people hear beetle build and think that means you take all of the beetle talents....which people have pointed out is just awful.
I play a fair amount of Anub and I always take the LVL 4 and LVL 7 Beetle talents, because those end up giving him a lot of hidden sustain (especially against skill shots)

The LVL 1 and 16 beetle talents are awful and should never be taken (16 is okay, but the other two talents are way too good to pass up).

The thing is I never pick Anub if he's the only tank on our team. He's very much a bruiser and the beetle build makes him an above average off laner, but if I find myself as the only one tanking then I never pick Anub except in those super rare all in dive comps that happen from time to time.
Heck yeah.
Against auto-attack heavy comps.
Or on maps where I plan to solo a shrine or whatever and want the extra dps and self healing to push the enemy off point.
09/27/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Nigma
"Beetle Build" is a bit of a misnomer I feel. Too many people hear beetle build and think that means you take all of the beetle talents....which people have pointed out is just awful.
I play a fair amount of Anub and I always take the LVL 4 and LVL 7 Beetle talents, because those end up giving him a lot of hidden sustain (especially against skill shots)

The LVL 1 and 16 beetle talents are awful and should never be taken (16 is okay, but the other two talents are way too good to pass up).

The thing is I never pick Anub if he's the only tank on our team. He's very much a bruiser and the beetle build makes him an above average off laner, but if I find myself as the only one tanking then I never pick Anub except in those super rare all in dive comps that happen from time to time.

Think they should do a relook at some of the talents then to rebalance them? Not a rework per say, but just a balance overview and snip the ones that are bad and replace them, or buff them?
i used to quite a bit, but beetle-focused builds are a bit too mana-punishing and tend to have a similar effect to the tnding bruisers who tend to jave better sustain.

I think a few small tweaks on anub’s talents could help bring them around as viable options compared to his other build potential
Honestly I hate beetles when playing against anub as a skill shot hero. Just yesterday I was solo tank against anub and Diablo as muradin. Even after completing his Q quest those beetles were blocking so many skillshots... They are so tiny you don't even notice them right infront of bulky enemies feet untill they block your stun. Result was a defeat ofcourse, with a BW to back them up I wasn't able to do !@#$ between all those stuns and poly...
Beetle build gains strength if the enemy team relies on a lot of single target skill shots. For example it can block Nova's Snipe (non ER) and Li Ming's Magic Missiles.

Problem is such skill shots are few and far between now.