"Last pick is fill pick"

General Discussion
When I played HL and get 4th or last pick I would always ghost pick Butcher once draft starts. In reality I consider myself a flex player in ranked with a preference for frontline so I don't really mind the majority of situations when I have to change pick due to having to fill, someone requesting they'd rather not have Butcher or the team comp being unfavourable. However if you ghost pick your favourite niche hero during draft whenever you're late pick it will make your day give you a good laugh and help you win more games guaranteed.
09/28/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Digitality
If a team ends up without a necessary component it's fundamentally everyone's fault.

Not always. If you are matched with a whole team of morons who all insist on playing damage, you can only get tank OR healer, not both. So it's not your fault.
09/28/2018 04:55 PMPosted by DaShmoe
09/28/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Digitality
If a team ends up without a necessary component it's fundamentally everyone's fault.

Not always. If you are matched with a whole team of morons who all insist on playing damage, you can only get tank OR healer, not both. So it's not your fault.

In one of the HL games I had:

First 3 picks ghost pick 2 assassins and a bruiser, asked if the rest of the team is cool with it, no one expressed any issues with the picks, so it was assumed that 4th pick and 5th pick (myself) would fill tank+healer.

First 3 ghost picks were locked in, 4th pick says nothing up till that point then out of nowhere locks Nova, leaving the bruiser (Sonya) to solo tank.

I had to choose 1 of the 2 missing roles to fill as last pick.

Who do you think screwed up this draft, the first 3 picks who showed their picks early, the 4th Nova pick or myself as last pick who experienced some technical difficulties filling 2 missing roles with a single hero?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

First 3 picks ghost pick 2 assassins and a bruiser, asked if the rest of the team is cool with it, no one expressed any issues with the picks, so it was assumed that 4th pick and 5th pick (myself) would fill tank+healer.

First 3 ghost picks were locked in, 4th pick says nothing up till that point then out of nowhere locks Nova, leaving the bruiser (Sonya) to solo tank.

Who do you think screwed up this draft, the first 3 picks who showed their picks early, the 4th Nova pick or myself as last pick who had difficulty filling 2 missing roles with a single hero?

You are missing the point. It's not about pointing fingers and finding a scapegoat (or 4).

If any member of your team fails to do the job, you ALL fail. It's one of the first things peewee sports coaches try to drill into the kids' heads for TEAM sports. "There is no I in team" "A chain is only as strong as the weakest link" "One fails, we all fail" etc etc.

Yes, it is factually correct to point out X player as the failure in a given scenario. But it's endemic of the bigger problem of selfish players that think "me first" instead of "team first". Same reason is why they draft poorly in the first place (the complaint thread here), and it's the same thinking when you want to concoct scenarios where you can (factually) blame one player for screwing up.

These are team games. If you play them selfishly, you will only handicap yourself. Even IRL at businesses and jobs, you are part of a group. Successful businesses create an environment where we are all pulling in the same direction as a team. Bad places to work are the kinds where when things go wrong, everybody is heaping blame on the next guy while only doing the bare minimum.
09/28/2018 05:18 PMPosted by monDAy

Who do you think screwed up this draft, the first 3 picks who showed their picks early, the 4th Nova pick or myself as last pick who had difficulty filling 2 missing roles with a single hero?

You are missing the point. It's not about pointing fingers and finding a scapegoat (or 4).

If any member of your team fails to do the job, you ALL fail. It's one of the first things peewee sports coaches try to drill into the kids' heads for TEAM sports. "There is no I in team" "A chain is only as strong as the weakest link" "One fails, we all fail" etc etc.

Yes, it is factually correct to point out X player as the failure in a given scenario. But it's endemic of the bigger problem of selfish players that think "me first" instead of "team first". Same reason is why they draft poorly in the first place (the complaint thread here), and it's the same thinking when you want to concoct scenarios where you can (factually) blame one player for screwing up.

These are team games. If you play them selfishly, you will only handicap yourself. Even IRL at businesses and jobs, you are part of a group. Successful businesses create an environment where we are all pulling in the same direction as a team. Bad places to work are the kinds where when things go wrong, everybody is heaping blame on the next guy while only doing the bare minimum.

There is significant subjectivity in this; from that game which I remember very well the first 3 picks all hovered their preferences (which there is absolutely nothing wrong with) and asked if last 2 are able to heal/tank and I was happy to do either, their only "mistake" was assuming the 4th pick would also oblige, which IMO wasn't unreasonable.

So in this case, the first 3 picks were the ones who communicated the direction of draft and the 4th pick said nothing with nothing hovered then out of nowhere locked in Nova (vs a team with double frontline too). If the 4th pick had instead said at the start that they preferred damage and ghost picked immediately I have no doubt one of the first 3 would have switched picks accordingly, but the lack of communication from one party screwed that draft.
Anything below master, pick what you're good at. Sort it out later.
Being able to play multiple roles is one thing. Telling 5th pick that it's "their job" to fill when they can't play the role means one or more people failed to communicate.

09/28/2018 04:55 PMPosted by DaShmoe
If you are matched with a whole team of morons who all insist on playing damage, you can only get tank OR healer, not both. So it's not your fault.

This is why I declare "I can play tank or healer but not both :)" when I see 3 hovers of neither role.

Of course, there is strategy in picking certain roles at certain points in draft, but in general, especially in HL, people should:

1) Play a hero they're comfortable with

2) Communicate so that you have at least 1 tank, 1 healer and 1 bruiser/off-laner (and preferably people are competent in these roles (see point 1)

Forcing someone to play something they're bad at means you've already lost. This is a team game; you need to communicate.
09/28/2018 11:44 AMPosted by Starmie
So if I ghost pick Lunara while being last pick, would you respect it and fill warrior or support for me?
Maybe you do, but sadly people in general don't work like that, not below a certain league.

So I don't think it's a big deal to respect some kind of gentlemen's agreement, so that everyone gets to play his or her favorite hero from time to time. Even in draft.

Its kinda obvious i will try. Buy the last pick in a mandatory fill role. If you are last you fill what is missing. No matter the prepick.I know i do.

Now if you need to fill 2 roles go ham at your pick.Means draft failed.
What don t you understand OP in Team Based Game and Pick Order Priority ?

Uninstall if you don t want to understand.
Last pick is support, since support isn't fun in this game.

That's just how it is, and Blizz is taking the nerf bat to supports and what makes them even slightly fun lately, so it won't change. If you want counter picks, make a group, that's the only way you'll get it.
Meanwhile as a support and abby main (And I rarely ever get to abby in ranked..) my main issue is getting paired up with other support mains. We're rare enough as is, spread us out blizzard. >:(
09/28/2018 09:14 PMPosted by doctordeath
Last pick is support, since support isn't fun in this game.

That's just how it is, and Blizz is taking the nerf bat to supports and what makes them even slightly fun lately, so it won't change. If you want counter picks, make a group, that's the only way you'll get it.

Yet i main supports. And from tanks i like heroes like zag the most.And my fav spec is aba who is supp.

Stop generalizing.

Was supp main and still am after the nerfs.
If I am last pick I usually fill in. I hope that the people before me picked their best/good heroes. Being level >1,000 I have a very broad understanding of how most heroes work and access to all heroes. I usually give them a choice and let them choose which hero I should be, hopefully the choice better fitting their play style.

Of course I only made it to Platinum rank. Doubt such a care free attitude would work with Diamond and higher lol.
Of course lastpick needs to fill what is needed. What a stupid discussion.
If the lastpick get what was prepicked fine, if not fill or reported.