Placement matches seem to be useless ?

General Discussion
I am mostly plat 1-2-3 player, I have a bit above 50% win rate in HL for the last 5-6 seasons.

Last season I finished in plat 3 and today after playing placement matches:
9 wins 1 loss, I get placed in plat 2.

Which tells me that my mmr didn't change at all with the outcome of placement matches and that they are useless, so why have them, apart from ranking just a person for the 1st time or such...

Just put me back where I was and I would have been plat 1 for example just by going 9-1 in HL
The ladder isn't static. Your rank position is not determined solely by your own performance but by your performance relative to that of the performance of other players.
Which in my case would translates to what? That majority of people played 9-1, 10-0 or 8-2 placement matches so the high win % means nothing? In fact majority of plat 1-3 players won this many matches ? Or that the game sees there is this many or that many people here and there and just places you "dynamic" ?
I made my 10 placement matches on onanother account where i was plat 2 500 pts last season.
I picked Nova all 10 games.
I ended 8-2 (one of the losses I had 2 afkers/leavers for the Nova pick, 2 other games with murky comps or no healer BECAUSE of Nova pick but still won).
And i got placed plat 2 800 pts..
Like.. +6 wins over 10 games for +300 ranked pts instead of +1200??
That sucks. A lot.
Yes, they are useless.

Actually, a notch under useless since they can put you a rank lower despite winning. (Or leave you in the same place despite losing.)
You lucky, I won most of my placement matches and was put 1 rank lower than I had before on TL.
Placements are just regular games now with no increase in uncertainty. Your MMR gains/losses during those placements basically determine your placement as always. If you got games that were heavily favored to you, it would cause you to gain low MMR on wins and lose a lot on losses so just getting positive win-loss doesn't necessarily equate big gain in MMR/rank.
I get what you said but then it would mean that all 9 games are strongly favored and that the one game I lost was the opposite, so in 10 games I got almost no mmr increase. This still means these games are pointless :/
09/27/2018 01:31 PMPosted by TargetNSA
I am mostly plat 1-2-3 player, I have a bit above 50% win rate in HL for the last 5-6 seasons.

Last season I finished in plat 3 and today after playing placement matches:
9 wins 1 loss, I get placed in plat 2.

Which tells me that my mmr didn't change at all with the outcome of placement matches and that they are useless, so why have them, apart from ranking just a person for the 1st time or such...

Just put me back where I was and I would have been plat 1 for example just by going 9-1 in HL

+8 wins is only ~1400 points + a promo game. Potentially less depending on circumstances. Just take the MMR gains and be happy.
Every placement regardless of whether I win or lose I get put right back to where I was the prior season.
Placements place you where your magical MMR is on the ranked ladder.

MMR moves differently to rank.
Ye guys, its not the problem, I was a bit lucky with 9-1 etc, not even the problem to climb a bit w/e, problem is that I spent 10 games, which is 5-10 hours and gained nothing even with a perfect score. So if it means nothing, lets just get rid of it ... Or make it mean something. If it will count the same as regular games, why call it "placement" etc. Its just one of many stupid things this game has atm ...
With exception of the first chain of results. Placement matches have similar weight to normal matches, possibly a little more.
Everyone gets shifted down at least 2 divisions every season(more for top ranks). so without playing any placements you are -2. you'll need to win ~8 to be where you were last season