[Linux] Users

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Anyone found a way to play Overwatch on Linux distros?
I wouldn't hold your breath for it unless you plan on spearheading it yourself with WINE.

I'm certain Overwatch was built on DirectX alone, and so porting it to Mac and Linux will probably never happen either.

EDIT: If you simply must have a Linux host and yet have decent gaming hardware, you could setup a Windows KVM with a GPU passthrough like so http://linuxlookup.com/windows_gaming_qemukvm_ubuntu_linux_amd_radeon_r9_280
Information is a bit sparse for this sort of setup though. The GPU passthrough dedicates a single GPU to your Windows KVM, meaning you won't be able to use it for the Linux host while the VM is running (unless you have two graphic cards installed). Normally, this might not be what you want, however you could simply ssh back into your Linux host using Cygwin or Putty or something on the Windows guest to kill the kvm and restore the GPU to the Linux host.

Or just dual boot to Windows. Whatever seems most effective for you. Either way, I wouldn't expect to see it working on Linux directly through WINE.
WINE doesn't really support DirectX 11 yet. The other Blizzard titles are able to run on WINE using DirectX 9, but Overwatch supports only DirectX 11 and not DirectX 9
Highly Rated
+1 for Linux.

Finally do it Blizzard !
DirectX ... is that still a thing . I think that problem blizzard has is it just can't find the talent base or does not want to pay for the talent to do the Linux stuff.
We can already see Microsoft changing winblows adding shell commands etc.
all windows is going to be is the GUI on Linux before long . I said that a long time ago.
I would love to see Vulkan support
05/26/2016 07:42 AMPosted by Testosterone
all windows is going to be is the GUI on Linux before long . I said that a long time ago.

Hahahaha this sounds so funny but it would be awesome :-)

Vulkan might really change the OS scenario, as it will probably outperform Direct X soon. Steam is intelligent investing so much in promoting Linux & Vulkan. Now DotA 2 has official support for the API and after a few optimizations results from benchmarks will be very interesting.

It's a pitty Blizzard doesn't care about the 1~2% Linux playerbase. Money sadly speaks louder for them.
pls
There will probably need to be a bounty in WINE. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this by not supporting older DirectX and 32 bit. This means it will probably be a pretty long time before it can happen in WINE.
Highly Rated
+1 for vulkan.
+2 for linux naitive.
I still don't get the argument of 'not enough player' and the money argument. There's a lot of developers that said porting a game on the linux was actually worth it, I don't believe that lie any more.
Simple question would be : how much would it cost blizzard to port a game to linux, and how many copies will they have to sell to get money from this port ? I wonder if they can communicate those numbers.
If they were going to do Linux they would gave done it with much more profitable games earlier like World of Warcraft. Supporting PC hardware configurations can be difficult enough, toss in multiple flavors of Linux and it is more trouble than it is worth. Maybe for weak little games it is easier...
it doesn't seems valve have problem with that, and they made something simple : linux = ubuntu. And it actually works, whatever your distro is. it isn't more complicated than windows or mac.
It simply isn't profitable enough to waste their time. Even Mac OS isn't great profit wise.
05/30/2016 01:16 PMPosted by ShadowFalls
If they were going to do Linux they would gave done it with much more profitable games earlier like World of Warcraft.

They did though. Pretty much.

WoW has always been very well supported in WINE, and Blizzard has gone out of their way not to break it very often. When it did break, the community was able to fund a fix pretty quickly. Blizzard supports OpenGL in WoW, and has a 32 bit version. These are low cost things to support (lower cost than maintaining a native Linux port), and they allow the game to work under WINE. In fact right now, WoW works, Diablo III works, Starcraft II works, Hearthstone works, and Heroes of the Storm work. When I say "they dropped the ball on Overwatch" it is because they did- it would be trivial for them to support older types of Windows, which are able to run under WINE just fine.

Obviously natively linked games would be much better.

toss in multiple flavors of Linux

No, it's really nothing. Just make something that works on any Linux, and the community will make it work on every Linux. Don't pretend that this is super hard or something- there's dozens of indie developers who are able to release games on Windows and Linux without any drama. You can't tell me this is impossible, because games with teams of less than a dozen dudes do it routinely.

It simply isn't profitable enough to waste their time.

I mean, it definitely works for some companies, right? Presumably Blizzard doesn't think it is profitable, but I don't really care. Heck I'm much easier than that- just make something that WINE can support and I'll buy the product. Otherwise, why would I buy something I can't run?

My actual guess is simpler- they wanted to minimize the stuff they support on Windows because they were also launching for two consoles, and they didn't want to go overbudget. Hopefully they fix it by releasing a 32 bit version. Also strong would be a Vulkan output option, but I dunno what engine they are using.

Anyway, WINE will eventually support it, but, like I said, it will be awhile.
Also strong would be a Vulkan output option, but I dunno what engine they are using

Blizzard was supporting the Vulkan project, so maybe they are thinking of releasing an OS X port latter using it instead of openGL.
There's already a "bounty" on DX11 support insofar as one believes that the ability to play DX11 games would result in more sales for Codeweavers, the company that makes Crossover and employs most (all?) full-time WINE developers.

There are two issues facing DX11 support. First, Codeweavers is a small company and can't afford huge expenditures. Second, there are very few people who are qualified to do this work, and Codeweavers is already employing most of them.

Practically speaking, they'd have to hire someone with the appropriate background and then train them up, which, since they're a small company, becomes all the more expensive and difficult, because training sucks a lot of time from your senior guys too.

The issue is exasperated even further because the most qualified people want to go to the places with the best perks, and small companies are usually not among them because they don't have the extra millions to blow on employee perks. If anyone out there is qualified, last I heard, Codeweavers is looking to hire more help on this.

Big companies have been reticent to put full-throated support behind WINE, most likely due to concerns over the legal ramifications. Although WINE has existed for around 20 years, the legal issues it raises have not really been tested in court (though Oracle v. Google is probably quite relevant, and the Appeals Court decision that APIs are copyrightable is bad news). I believe that Microsoft correctly decided that as long as WINE is a difficult-to-use niche product, bringing extra attention to it via a highly-publicized lawsuit would hurt more than it would help. This would probably change if it got big-league commercial support. It's too bad, because WINE should be the perfect opportunity for Steambox systems to reach library parity.

There are people taking DX11 support seriously and working on making it happen (finally), but these things take a while. I would guess something like 6 mos before real DX11 games begin to be playable, but that's very loose and does not necessarily have any relation to reality.

Anyway, despite all that, we're not even at the point where we hit the DirectX issue when launching Overwatch in WINE. Overwatch uses a complex obfuscation technique that WINE chokes on. The first crash was hacked around and the next de-obfuscation routine crashed it again. That's where we're at; we can't even load the beginning of the real binary. So first step is making their de-obfuscator work on WINE, and then we can get back to our regularly-scheduled lament on the state of DX11 in WINE.
05/30/2016 08:44 PMPosted by Xor

You can't tell me this is impossible, because games with teams of less than a dozen dudes do it routinely.

Those teams are generally using pre-built engine technologies that allow one to enable Linux support relatively simply. When you actually try to play the games on Linux, it's obviously that they've barely been tested on that platform.

Blizzard made a new engine for Overwatch so they don't have someone else's "click to build on Linux" button to fall back on. They made the architecture decision to use Direct3D instead of OpenGL as they've done with previous games. It's certainly non-trivial for them to port.

If Steambox was treated more like a conventional console and Valve really threw some big bucks into promoting it, developing "exclusives" for it, etc., it could turn this whole thing upside down by unifying profitable console games with less-profitable PC games. Until that point (or until we get big backers for WINE), we can continue to expect things to stay mostly the way they are.

They did though. Pretty much.

WoW has always been very well supported in WINE, and Blizzard has gone out of their way not to break it very often. When it did break, the community was able to fund a fix pretty quickly. Blizzard supports OpenGL in WoW, and has a 32 bit version. These are low cost things to support (lower cost than maintaining a native Linux port), and they allow the game to work under WINE. In fact right now, WoW works, Diablo III works, Starcraft II works, Hearthstone works, and Heroes of the Storm work. When I say "they dropped the ball on Overwatch" it is because they did- it would be trivial for them to support older types of Windows, which are able to run under WINE just fine.

Obviously natively linked games would be much better.

Blizzard never did. They just never altered their code significantly to break functions that the compatibility was set up for. Making a game to support something is far different than what is being done with WINE. If you cannot understand that, I cannot help you.

They dropped no ball. If anything they dribbled a little bit and took a shot at the net. Your minority operating system choices are not part of their business decisions.

I mean, it definitely works for some companies, right? Presumably Blizzard doesn't think it is profitable, but I don't really care. Heck I'm much easier than that- just make something that WINE can support and I'll buy the product. Otherwise, why would I buy something I can't run?

My actual guess is simpler- they wanted to minimize the stuff they support on Windows because they were also launching for two consoles, and they didn't want to go overbudget. Hopefully they fix it by releasing a 32 bit version. Also strong would be a Vulkan output option, but I dunno what engine they are using.

Anyway, WINE will eventually support it, but, like I said, it will be awhile.

Won't happen. There is no point in making a 32-bit version of a game that is going to be run on systems with 64-bit processors and OSes. Again, not profitable enough. Linux market share is puny:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Congratulations they beat Windows Vista. BTW, also not supported. Windows 8 is higher and that is just 8 and not 8.1. I have no problem with Linux, but is easy to see why it gets mostly ignored. Same reason most companies don't bother supporting MacOS either.