dat 50% winrate matchmaking though

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Blizzard,

the whole "assistance" to win or lose which directly or indirectly lead people closer to 50/50 win rates has to go. let people just play and win or lose a lot based on their skill level in quickplay and ranked alike.

I've sampled about 10-15 different people on my friend list just to see where everyone stands and so far, each one of them who solo queues is sitting at +/- 2 games from an exact 50/50 win loss ratio...its pretty crazy.

I have a real hard time believing that this is coincidence.
There is no assistance to win or lose. This is misinformation.

We match based on skill, ping and group size.

The only thing we do is detect when one team has been repeatedly losing and is outmatched and then we disband those matches.
Highly Rated
05/24/2016 11:49 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

The only thing we do is detect when one team has been repeatedly losing and is outmatched and then we disband those matches.

As a big loser, I can confirm. There is no help given.

I've noticed that if I get a 2-3 game win streak with the same people vs. the same people it switches us up so that three of the winners are on a team with three of the losers.

I've gotten some exceptionally balanced matches by having this happen.

Edit: For the record I was queueing with a group of 3 at the time. So maybe we were four groups of three, not sure.
I don't know, my win rate is unnaturally close to 50%.

In open beta I played about 300 matches and had something like 151 wins. It was literally within 1 of being dead on 50%.

In the current game I have about 31 matches and 15 wins. I was at one point 19 and 12, but I had to lose a bunch of matches to preserve that 50%.

Either this game's matchmaking is inordinately accurate, or the result of each game depends so little on your personal contribution that over a large number of games you'll even out to almost exactly 50%.

in that case, I feel bad about saying how bad the matchmaker is because it appears to be excellent in that the games are so close in skill levels that most people end up on a 50/50 win lose ratio on the tee.

Thats not always the feeling I get in game however but thats probably just perception. Thanks for clarifying the match disbanding though.
I don't even think Battlenet is recording our stats correctly right now. I played 4hrs of PvP and PvAi and it literally shows me as playing less than 53 seconds! I won about 10 games with players in PvP and according to the site, I won 0. Uhhh, what? Ha ha.
05/24/2016 12:19 PMPosted by Terotrous
Either this game's matchmaking is inordinately accurate, or the result of each game depends so little on your personal contribution that over a large number of games you'll even out to almost exactly 50%.

Why not both?
05/24/2016 12:49 PMPosted by VESPA5
I don't even think Battlenet is recording our stats correctly right now. I played 4hrs of PvP and PvAi and it literally shows me as playing less than 53 seconds! I won about 10 games with players in PvP and according to the site, I won 0. Uhhh, what? Ha ha.

agree with this, played 4 hors and only says 2
Honestly, I'm sure it won't be admitted but the only way to achieve these types of stats...which is what I seem to be getting now as well. Is to dump players into likely unwinnable fights, stick people that are good in a game where one side is getting stomped or has been losing alot. And vice versa and you have their matchmaking.

Pretty sneaky Blizzard.
Highly Rated
It's crazy how many people still don't understand that a 50% win rate means the matchmaking is good, not bad. If you are winning/losing half of your matches then it's doing it's job. It's not assistance, it's you getting put up against people your own skill level, which is the entire point.
05/24/2016 01:11 PMPosted by Vastaux
05/24/2016 12:49 PMPosted by VESPA5

agree with this, played 4 hors and only says 2

Your career profile defaults to quick match statistics. There is a drop down menu on the career profile page that allows you see stats for the different game modes.

That might not fix your problem, but it's going to get you closer to accurate numbers.

Is matchmaking not working correctly then? I have been matched against many 6 stacks today while in a duo and even solo. It is not fun being put against a full team that's working together when you're lumped with a bunch of randoms who can't even put together a decent team comp. It needs work.
05/24/2016 01:47 PMPosted by MrH

Is matchmaking not working correctly then? I have been matched against many 6 stacks today while in a duo and even solo. It is not fun being put against a full team that's working together when you're lumped with a bunch of randoms who can't even put together a decent team comp. It needs work.

Get to 25, play ranked. Que's will pair parties accordingly.

Also, just because you think the other team is a party/6 stack, doesn't mean it is. I've done 5-6 player ques and it takes forever to get games because it's matching us against other near full parties.
5 wins out of 16 solo games tells me there's no such thing.
05/24/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Rafter74
It's crazy how many people still don't understand that a 50% win rate means the matchmaking is good, not bad. If you are winning/losing half of your matches then it's doing it's job. It's not assistance, it's you getting put up against people your own skill level, which is the entire point.

i really want to believe this but the type of losses that occur are discouraging. 3 games in a row stuck with a guy who trolls nonstop (IE: picks same hero as someone else nomatter who he switches to) and do nothing all game long so its like a 5v6 but thats not enough, also a widow4life who never swap nomatter the situation and how badly countered she is. so its 6v4. then there are games with leavers. etc. those feel like forced losses but of course its hard to blame blizz for that....maybe its coincidence....but it somtimes feels like these "bad pl;ayers" with terrible win rates are put in our games to drag us down or drag them up...whatever you want to call it.
05/24/2016 12:19 PMPosted by Terotrous
I don't know, my win rate is unnaturally close to 50%.

In open beta I played about 300 matches and had something like 151 wins. It was literally within 1 of being dead on 50%.

In the current game I have about 31 matches and 15 wins. I was at one point 19 and 12, but I had to lose a bunch of matches to preserve that 50%.

If you are being placed in teams at the same level of you, mathematically it should be close to 50%.
My win rate is unnaturally close to 80% and I solo que only.
05/24/2016 01:37 PMPosted by Rafter74

It could still be VERY Bad at 50% win rate. Imagine if 50% of the time you got obliterated, and the other 50% time you were stomping on elmo and friends. That would suck.

That said, I find the matchmaking is good enough. What I mentioned before is not the case with Overwatch.