Overwatch for Mac?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
This is shockingly bad on Blizzard's side. Not only have they built a reputation for porting their games to both Windows and Mac since the early days, but they can’t even bring themselves to tell the truth about why they won’t port this game. Apple computers not being capable of handling the game graphically? That is such a transparent lie I can barely wrap my mind around it. I mean, seriously Blizz, have some integrity! If this is an order being passed down from Activision, a deal gone south between you and Apple, a change in management philosophy, some kind of arbitrary time constraint, a decision based on cost/benefit analysis, something to do with this game being released on PS4 and Xbox One as well, or maybe a combination of two or more of those factors, just say it. Lying and saying a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro can’t handle Overwatch, it’s disingenuous to your Apple user base who’s been with you since the 90s.

And seriously, I don’t get the idiots here who say Apple computers can’t play games. Sure, not many games are programmed with Macs in mind, but those that are run just fine. Blizzard games have always run very well on Macs. And so you know these aren’t the ravings of some Apple fanboy, I’ve owned both Windows and Macintosh computers since the mid 2000s, using both for different purposes. I like both for different reasons and don’t have a strong bias either way, but I do usually get frustrated by blind fandom on either side of the debate. There have been times when I haven’t had a gaming quality Windows PC and only a Mac, and in those times I say “Well, I may not be able to play most of my games right now, but at least I can play my Blizzard games!” Maybe that won’t be the case going forward.
You know how it goes... Apple wants a piece of the action. They probably asked for too high of a percentage, so Big Blizz said, "We're out."

Of course that's just tin foil hat conspiracy... (but I still believe that's how it went down.)
i gotta say my 2014 macbook air (i5, hd5000, 4 GB DDR3)plays it in my windows partition on low without a hitch. quite serviceable.
Apple users still represent a small marketshare of computer users. Apple computers and phones no longer sit ahead of the curve on hardware or software development. Market predictions show a lower market share for Apple devices across the board as Android continues to outperform and PCs continue to be affordable, especially in emerging markets. It's the price Apple kids pay for being fanboys.
Blizzard: "We wanted to give you a Mac release, but we didn't get any support from Apple and the software differences currently make the porting process a nightmare."
Mac users: "You lie because my feelings said so."

Riveting exchange. Let's repeat it 200 more times, pepper in a few posts about downvotes and anecdotal evidence that bring nothing to the table, and cry about our feelings being more important than Blizzard's profit margins.

Or, and this might sound crazy but stick with me here for a second, or we could stop having this same argument every few days.
I warned my friend against that new macbook...
Apple computers not being capable of handling the game graphically? That is such a transparent lie I can barely wrap my mind around it. I mean, seriously Blizz, have some integrity! If this is an order being passed

Apple dropped all support for open GL , And decided not to include Vulcan in there product. They instead went for a proprietary API . The Performance of Metal is not at all what was expected. It is far below what was hyped.

From Direct X to open GL and Vulcan is not that difficult as far as porting goes. But Porting to metal is a issue.
The problem is that OS X's OpenGL support has been lagging behind for years now. El Capitan still only supports OpenGL 4.1, released back in 2010.

Meanwhile, most commercial OpenGL games are running OpenGL 4.3 or newer to maintain feature-parity with DX11.

This is every bit Apple's fault as they continue to push Metal and ignore the industry standard cross-platform graphics API.
05/27/2016 04:28 PMPosted by Coyote
05/24/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Xodin
With deep regrets, Macs are currently a bit behind in regards to their graphics capability.

lmao, no. The Macbook's and Macbook Air's, sure. 13" Macbook Pro should do fine in theory, and 15" is guaranteed to work. Anything above that (ie. Mac Pro and newer iMac models) should easily manage the game. Overwatch is a pretty game, but it's hardly graphically intensive.

I assume it's not a hardware issue, but something about the API.
06/17/2016 04:21 PMPosted by Drspock
Apple computers not being capable of handling the game graphically? That is such a transparent lie I can barely wrap my mind around it. I mean, seriously Blizz, have some integrity! If this is an order being passed

Apple dropped all support for open GL , And decided not to include Vulcan in there product. They instead went for a proprietary API . The Performance of Metal is not at all what was expected. It is far below what was hyped.

From Direct X to open GL and Vulcan is not that difficult as far as porting goes. But Porting to metal is a issue.

It's not like Apple twisted their arm into signing on to the Metal API, "BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT" was proudly displayed during the keynote last year as being a major 1st party developer for the API along with Epic Games, so for Blizzard deciding not to code for it after it being too difficult is more of a competence problem on their end than Apple deciding to go with a new graphics API and have people develop for it.
05/24/2016 04:34 PMPosted by Tracing
Will Overwatch be released for Mac users or is it going to be a PC only game?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's not like Apple twisted their arm into signing on to the Metal API, "BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT" was proudly displayed during the keynote last year as being a major 1st party developer for the API along with Epic Games, so for Blizzard deciding not to code for it after it being too difficult is more of a competence problem on their end than Apple deciding to go with a new graphics API and have people develop for it.

Blizzard did not support Metal. They have always supported Vulcan. The original Idea was to Add Vulcan support to OSX but Apple decided to not add Vulcan and to do a 180 and only support Their proprietary API.

The company you should be asking why they decided to only support A Proprietary API that has less performance than open GL . Metal's performance is far from spectacular.
@Silverjerk
The topic is about Mac gaming yet you had a whole paragraph that had nothing to do with it, just boasting about your IT life.

You've been building PCs for 16 years yet stick 32GB of RAM into your computers? Do you know what you're doing? If so, why? That's an extra 24 GB that's never going to be used, that's wasted money for nothing.

Speaking of wasting money for nothing. I found specs similar to your Mac. You've spent over $3000-5000 on a computer, did you? lol (The Apple website lists rigs with prices higher than that, I wouldn't doubt the possibility you went for the better ones)

Still, your graphics card is not any better than a GTX 780. That's a card that's almost 6 years old. To be honest, I'm also surprised how well I'm still running on my 6 year old card. But I'm starting to really struggle with in recent games like XCOM 2 and worst, Hitman (low settings and resolution 3x lower than native). No way I'll be able to run the new games like Battlefield 1, No Man's Sky, Dawn of War 3, and For Honor well. You're defiatenly running out of time before you could say your able to run "modern games".

If you want to say a Mac is strong for other uses, no one is making an argument. If you were trying to make a point about gaming on Mac, you didn't make any points other than admitting you had to spend thousands more than what you would have - which is something everyone already knows. If you still want to say Macs are 'capable' to run (some) games then technically... yea $ure.

The other issues is that it's more of Apple's fault than Blizzard's that the game isn't compatible. Apple fails to incorporate DirectX and other technologies that makes games compatible.
Its okay if u dont make a mac version but then dont seel it on the battlenet app on mac. My friend got it on the Mac version of the battlenet app without a notice saying that the game u r purchasing cannot run on ur OS.
06/18/2016 05:48 AMPosted by HeZ
Its okay if u dont make a mac version but then dont seel it on the battlenet app on mac. My friend got it on the Mac version of the battlenet app without a notice saying that the game u r purchasing cannot run on ur OS.

A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen to him. I agree that they should make it more clear or not display the game on the macOS client.
I would like to see Overwatch come to the mac platform though.
Macs are terrible
I am a current avid Macbook Pro user and I'm a former immature teenager who believed that PC were the best. My grades were awful in college and I was perhaps off track as well, until an art student friend loaned me his macbook to do schoolwork at the University Level, my life instantly changed.

Today I have a great job that pays six figures, and I still use my macbook and I'm able to play Overwatch on bootcamp on my system with little or no problems. Scaling down the resolution helps alot and the game still looks great. For the other mac users out there, keeps your heads :)
Hopefully we will see the port eventually. I run it in Windows boot but would love to not have to reboot my machine every time i want to play. None the less great game.
Apple has been moving more and more towards a common OS for all of their products over time, making the switch to their own proprietary graphics engine only makes sense, at least from Apple's perspective.

What they want for all of their devices,is closer to IOS than OSX. For that to work, they need a graphic's engine of their own making.

Right now OSX is in flux while Apple moves towards this end goal.

As mentioned before, the fault lies completely with Apple here, not updating Open GL for years, and then creating this weird space while Metal is still in its infancy.

Blizzard really did not have a choice here.

This is one of the main reasons I built a new PC this year and canned the Mac's after 15+ years on them. Apple has never really cared about gaming like they should have done.