Overwatch for Mac?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 11 Next
02/20/2017 12:24 PMPosted by RwkY
this is kind of stupid...

I understand Blizzard is running short on MacOS dev's, to convert a hole game from a DX 11 to OpenGL or whatever MacOS is using, it's alot of work for a big team.

I'm that rare case that bought Overwatch knowing Blizzard has a version for Mac ready to play.... Imagine the dissapointed I had when I couldn't click install on my Mac for Overwatch but for any other titled I could :(

I would'v asked a refund, but the game is OK, still not cool.

I'll think more than 2 times, at my next Blizzard product aquisition.

Usage share of desktop and laptop computers:
  • >80% Windows
  • >11% macOS
  • <2% Linux

Mac has only a little count of users in comparison with Windows, and not all of them are gamers. Every company wants to make money. Blizzard as well. There is no guarantee for a mac version. But it costs a lot of money, not only at first. You need always the resources for patching and much more and these resources would be missing somewhere else.
guys look at the original date when this thread was posted.
Is overwatch will gonna add it for mac. REALLY??? I don't really know I heard mac disagree with blizzard.
02/21/2017 07:27 PMPosted by TinyWolf
Is overwatch will gonna add it for mac. REALLY??? I don't really know I heard mac disagree with blizzard.

I saw a job posted by blizzard a few month ago - it was for someone familiar with Apple programming and porting games to other platforms. The job has since disappeared, which I hope means they will work on it.

Also, in the last Apple developer conference, Blizzard was listed as a partner working with their graphics team: http://i.imgur.com/VGPYs2B.jpg
02/21/2017 07:34 PMPosted by DoctorArmond
02/21/2017 07:27 PMPosted by TinyWolf

I saw a job posted by blizzard a few month ago - it was for someone familiar with Apple programming and porting games to other platforms. The job has since disappeared, which I hope means they will work on it.

Also, in the last Apple developer conference, Blizzard was listed as a partner working with their graphics team: http://i.imgur.com/VGPYs2B.jpg

Any company that's big that releases/develops on iOS or Mac is listed as a partner. This doesn't necessarily make them actually working in collaboration with Apple.

Apple needs to update their OpenGL libraries. OpenGL 4.1 is 7 years old, and 5 versions behind the modern versions (not including Vulkan).

Until Apple does this, Blizzard can't port the PS4 version of Overwatch (which uses OpenGL 4.5 with DX11 wrapper). There's incompatibility issues... it's way harder to backtrack than to flash forward with APIs.
02/21/2017 08:39 PMPosted by BrokenStylus
02/21/2017 07:34 PMPosted by DoctorArmond

Any company that's big that releases/develops on iOS or Mac is listed as a partner. This doesn't necessarily make them actually working in collaboration with Apple.

Apple needs to update their OpenGL libraries. OpenGL 4.1 is 7 years old, and 5 versions behind the modern versions (not including Vulkan).

Until Apple does this, Blizzard can't port the PS4 version of Overwatch (which uses OpenGL 4.5 with DX11 wrapper). There's incompatibility issues... it's way harder to backtrack than to flash forward with APIs.

The screenshot that was posted is from the talk about partners using "Metal". Do you happen to know which Blizzard games use Metal for them to be listed?

Thanks for the info.
I mean hell, why not? Before I got my PC, I ran OW on my 2012 mac laptop perfectly
y cant apple step up there game and put better graphics core in to them as long with all the other things needed to run overwtach. it woukd be better and overtch would sell even more then before. millions of mac users ( including myself) wnt overwatch on the macbooks and imac woith out downalong boot camp. it would be better is apple had lisetned to all these coments. having said, blizzard please make a overwatch that can be played on mac. with millions of sells around the worls. i know you guys at bilzzard can di it. if not, teaming up with apple to make a batter computer. an aple gaming computer would be better. by taming up iith apple you would get more and more people o downlaod that game and buy it. and also play it. people like the world as equals, none cant be lft behind. and if anyting is needed then this will help. i alson think that teaming up with apple can make a new range of macbooks that are for gaming and can be good. overwatch will be better with all system from different company will be great. if this dosent help then i dont know.

also blizzard if it would be great, if you guys could help me get a new computer. i have played overtwatch of a few months, as i played my computer had broke down and i really want to play overwatch again. love playing the gmes you guys make. as mu computer boke and i cant afford a new computer i cant play overwatch. and overwatch is my favroute game of my life. like branden. if needed to contact use. Brandenly58@gmail.com. please email me back. id really like it if you could support me on getting a new computer.

Thanks
Love branden
There has been a big progress in WINE's DX support, and if you google it you can find a news about a WINE developer managing to reach the OW in-game main menu with some dev version of WINE (which sadly did not make into the recent 2.0 release due to feature freeze)
If it runs in WINE, MacOS can run it. Just give the WINE guys some time.
or pray that Blizzard devs port the stuff themselves.
05/27/2016 05:40 PMPosted by Zebulun
Except it can't play games...Besides if you're building your own PC and it doesn't run "clean" then you are doing it right.
big dig
05/24/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Xodin
With deep regrets, Macs are currently a bit behind in regards to their graphics capability. Kaplan said that Blizzard really wanted to bring Overwatch to the platform, but at the moment they just don't have the technological support from Apple needed to make it happen :( Which is a real shame since I know Blizzard has been one of the few companies since the 90's to try to offer versions of their games on both PC and Mac platforms.

Here's some info here on it:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/here-s-why-there-s-no-mac-version-of-overwatch-and-how-there-could-be-in-the-future
Some time in the future blizzard will probably release overwatch for mac. They may be developing it rn, who really knows.
I think bI believe that they will eventually port the game over to Mac, however in the meantime, i wouldn't wait for it to happen. If you really enjoy the game to your maximum extent, then you can check out Boot Camp, and how to use it, or look up Parallel, which does cost $79.99, but it works really well and it si very efficient.
I think its lazy for developers to assume that I will hack my computer to get it to run their software. Obviously Macs are powerful enough to run overwatch. You can run Overwatch thru Parallels or in bootcamp. Its not that graphically challenging. I just refuse to play anymore Overwatch until Blizzard makes the Mac port. In fact I have stopped playing most Blizzard games because of this. I used to play Hots and Wow and this just ruined Blizzards rep. for me. They went after the consoles and dumped the Mac faithfuls... Too bad but I am guessing some guy in a suit who doesn't even play games made this decision. I will just play Paladins which is a free Overwatch knock off. I mean they really were not even trying to be different. Graphics are almost as good as OW.
06/13/2016 04:37 AMPosted by Silverjerk
The hilarity of the down-votes on the comments that simply mention any sort of gaming on a Mac; it's juvenile. Here's a use case for ya, and it could blow your minds, because it's pretty common for us grown ups...

My main PC is a custom water-cooled Z87 Sabertooth build with a 4770K, 32GB of Dominator, and a 980TI; I own a Razer Blade, Shield, and Steam Link. I've been building PC's for 16 years, and was a member of XS and several 3D Mark Teams in my heyday. Let's just get that out of the way, for the naysayers who'll try and discredit a valid opinion because #notpartofthePCMASTERACE... or whatever the hell else the kids are calling it now.

The reason I was able to afford a badass PC (and order a pair of 1080's on launch), is because I get paid to write code all day on a Mac -- a UNIX-based Mac that runs a suite of applications I could never get on Windows 10, in a workflow that I would never dare replicate on my PC. And before one of you Windows coding junkies gets your panties in a wad, just remember all the ways in which you travel around your elbow to emulate a LAMP environment on your PC and give it a rest. The reality is, I work on Macs, and I game on a PC, and I run admin tasks, deployments/repository management, and server maintenance on Linux. I do it all, and I'm old enough, and experienced enough not to whine like a stuck pig (and downvote posts like a sobbing toddler) when someone isn't arbitrarily loyal to my platform of choice.

Every once in a while I'm up late, monitoring a particularly long build and release as we deploy and test for bugs, and I don't have the luxury of firing up my gaming PC to get in a few matches of Overwatch. On those occasions, it would be nice to simply alt-tab into the game and fire up a match or two between code releases. And while, no, my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro isn't on the level of my enthusiast-level PC, they both sure as hell pull their weight -- my Mac Pro in Crossfire with dual D700's plays most games at high-to-ultra settings just fine, and my MacBook Pro competes for performance with my Razer Blade in Bootcamp. While the performance would likely be lessened in native OS X running Overwatch, these machines are still more than capable of playing mainstream games.

Now, feel free to downvote into infinity -- I welcome your criticisms, however hollow, baseless, and fallacious they might be.

tard
wtf bruhhhh
They should add it to mac, that would be nice, even I don't play on a mac but I want more of my friends to play it.
03/21/2017 01:29 PMPosted by Kitsune
They should add it to mac, that would be nice, even I don't play on a mac but I want more of my friends to play it.
This should be everyone's attitude no matter what platform you play on. More players = a good thing for Overwatch. For some of us it'd be convenient to not have to switch OS to get a few quick games in.

I remember when TF2 got ported to Mac. PC players were screaming bloody murder and trolling anyone wearing the earpods item. Then a month or so later people just went back to playing the game normally and forgot about the whole affair.
I'm a gamer with a short budget, and I just have a regular Dell desktop, but the problem is, when I travel and can't really play Overwatch because I have a MacBookPro. Like I said earlier, I can't really buy boot camp or another Windows 10 key, so it's kinda frustrating me. Any ideas of what to do?
The only Macs that can play are either the extremely expensive ones $2000+, or custom ones. Mine is custom, so Im able to play it and I use BootCamp. Run it on Ultra and even Fallout 4 on Ultra, with mods. Not many Mac users customize their Mac, or are willing to buy the expensive ones.
03/21/2017 06:30 PMPosted by Janana
I'm a gamer with a short budget, and I just have a regular Dell desktop, but the problem is, when I travel and can't really play Overwatch because I have a MacBookPro. Like I said earlier, I can't really buy boot camp or another Windows 10 key, so it's kinda frustrating me. Any ideas of what to do?

if you have a Dell, then get the Windows Code from it and use it to install BootCamp free on your Mac