Team voice should be default over Group

General Discussion
1 2 3 20 Next
Highly Rated
As the title says, Team voice should be the default rather than Group. If you want teams to interact, this is how to do it. Many players I've run into either forget to switch channels or are too lazy to change from Group.
We had this implemented at one point but let me explain why we ended up changing it. The majority of the time parties are formed it is on the main menu. When you're on the main menu, there is no team chat channel available because you are not in a game. So the first problem was that it felt super awkward to join a party and then not be in team chat. Obviously, we made it so that the default was to join party chat when you joined a party but then we tried switching you (as you recommend) to team chat as soon as you joined a game. We quickly discovered that switching voice chat channels on players was very jarring and no amount of interface/sound warnings made it ok. So we ultimately opted to set the defaults as they are now.
Highly Rated
That's unfortunate, but thank you for the explanation.
Highly Rated
Perhaps add an option to auto-switch channels?

That way players wouldn't be 'jarred' by a switch they had to manually enable. When in doubt, give players the choice.
Highly Rated
I think it'd be great to have a second PTT key that would allow you to pick a second voice channel. Many times if I'm playing with just one or two friends it'd be great to chat with them but still relay information to the team.

I understand I can do this with external programs on a different PTT key, just think it'd be great to be able to do it in game.
05/25/2016 08:49 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We had this implemented at one point but let me explain why we ended up changing it. The majority of the time parties are formed it is on the main menu. When you're on the main menu, there is no team chat channel available because you are not in a game. So the first problem was that it felt super awkward to join a party and then not be in team chat. Obviously, we made it so that the default was to join party chat when you joined a party but then we tried switching you (as you recommend) to team chat as soon as you joined a game. We quickly discovered that switching voice chat channels on players was very jarring and no amount of interface/sound warnings made it ok. So we ultimately opted to set the defaults as they are now.

Why not do both? Default to group chat, but auto switch everyone in group chat to team voice chat inside a game. And everyone on the team, grouped or not, should default to being in team voice every game -- let players mute it or turn it off manually every time if they don't want it, but there are far too many games of dead silence and we need a little more heavy handedness from Blizzard to push voice chat.
Thanks for the response, Jeff. Do you think there is anything that could be done in this area at all? The number of people actually in the voice channels is laughably small.
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the purpose of having two channels? Were you afraid that pre-made teams would be discussing non-game related stuff while in a match, and wanted to separate that out?

When you say that it was a jarring experience, do you mean that the sudden inclusion of foreign voices created an amount of confusion in the players who weren’t expecting it?

Could this be alleviated in part by at least changing the colors that the Voice Activated speaker’s name is drawn in? People in groups would still show up in the top left as green, but teammates as blue (which is consistent throughout).

Voice communication is so important, but from the Open Beta to release I’ve only been in 2 games in which other people were using voice coms. Now I have to wonder if they actually had their stuff turned off, or if because I was in a group, my coms weren’t getting to the team and vice versa. While I respect that you don’t want to fluster people, if an avenue of communication is blocked in a non-obvious way, it’s not really much help either.
i like the option to auto switch channels so that players know and expect that to happen. Maybe have it dictated by the party leader much the same way joining skirmish as group is!
I actually was just coming here to post this idea. Most people just stay in group chat so it makes it really hard to coordinate. I constantly have to explain to my group members how to switch into team chat so that we can communicate with the other team members. Even a keybind to cycle through the chat channels would make things easier.

I can see how the changeover could be jarring, but I think it still might be the best option to foster cooperative play. I think players should have to make a conscious decision to be only talk to their group. Right now with the default settings and the way the UI is setup a lot of people don't even understand that there are different voice channels for team and group, and if they do it's not very intuitive to tell which one you're in. I've encountered multiple instances where people thought they were talking to their team but instead were only talking to their group. I don't think the color difference on your name when talking is understood by players unless someone tells them.

I find the interface to switch channels to not be very intuitive. It's not blatantly clear for new players which channel they're in and it's not very clear what the headset button actually does. "Is the headset icon supposed to be full or open?" I think changing it to a button that says "Join" and better highlighting the channel you're in would help. Additionally, giving you a list of the players in each channel would be useful.
Can someone please clarify the difference between 'team' and 'party' chat? (For us noobs)
05/25/2016 09:43 AMPosted by Fludlerk
Can someone please clarify the difference between 'team' and 'party' chat? (For us noobs)

Team chat is everyone on your team in a game, group chat is just people you are specifically grouped with. So if you party with two friends, the three of you are in a group with three other members of your team.
Thank you. And if you are not in a group does it default then to team?
It's somewhat discouraging to queue solo and spend a large portion of a game making call outs and trying to coordinate ults, getting no response, then going in and seeing that only 2 people are in team chat.

I really think that an option to switch the group chat party to team chat party, perhaps with a prompt for all players would be ideal. I am consistently switching my group chat to team chat, when I am playing with friends, so that our team can hear us, sometimes I dont remember and there are people on my team who are trying to communicate, and I dont even know, because i'm in the wrong chat.

At least having some kind of option as party leader to move the whole party would be nice. If the idea is too jarring, simply add a prompt.

also, I know I must be kicking a dead horse at this point... but a pregame lobby would be ideal for these types of things... just saying ;)
Meh, I just turn it off. It's just people spamming obscene stuff and rage.
I mean, I've received death threats in the first few games I played becase I didn't pick the support that dude wanted (I still picked a support though, just not the "right" one).

Not sure why voice is even in the game for pugs, tbh.
Why cant I set a default when i'm in games... this is really annoying

I just made a similar post and deleted it. I feel like after a while of knowing that your group with be switched from it happening people will get used to it. Seems like a lot of things in this game are jarring but players get used to it. At least make it that way in ranked games because it was annoying to switch every round and sometimes my group would forget until half way into a round.

Consider any other team based game: Dota 2, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2. There is no other team based game that purposely splits you up from the team when coordination is extremely important.

Please change it back.
In beta you could use the Bnet voice chat thing for your pre-made group and and still use the in game chat to talk to your entire team. Now there is no way to talk to the rest of your team if you are grouped with a friend. People might need to get use to switching voice channels, but not being able to communicate with your team seriously detracts from the game.
I, also, came here specifically to talk about this subject. My suggestion would have been to have players join both by default and prioritize one or the other when someone who is part of both (a party member who is also on your team) is speaking, so you don't hear them twice. You can hear your team, and you can hear your party both in and out of game. No transition necessary.

Alternatively, you could have players join both and have separate keybinds for each, and maybe even have separate push-to-talk/always-on options. So, for instance, your party chat could auto-detect your voice but you'd still have to press F or whatever the default is to speak to the rest of your team. In addition, have the Team Chat button also serve as Party Chat when not in game, in case you didn't realize there were two.

----

Part of the problem is not just that you can't communicate with your team, but that the game doesn't make it immediately obvious who can and cannot hear you.

The game tells you in the chat how many players are in your voice channel, but it's very easy to miss if you're new and not looking for it. And even then, the only way to tell who is listening is to open the channel menu and hover your mouse over the mute button for each player to see if it gets highlighted.

I appreciate the thought that went into this decision, Blizz, but the system right now is kind of bad. I think I'd even prefer that jarring transition over not being able to talk to the rest of your team.