Split screen on consoles

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
Blizzard, please do not become one of these companies that is destroying in home multiplayer... When you first showed Overwatch at E3, it was splitscreen play, and it was incredible. The ability to play this game with family and friends would make it a legendary title. Please reconsider this, and set yourselves apart from your competition, who seems to be more concerned with making money versus creating a great customer experience.
I bought the game on PC but I've always been a big advocate for split screen on consoles as that is one of the few reasons to even own a console over a PC.

They need to increase the server refresh rate on PC and put split screen on consoles.
We really appreciate the feedback. Split screen is very challenging from a technical perspective. Although it's very unlikely we would be adding that feature, we're not philosophically opposed to it. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear... it's just really, really hard.
Highly Rated
Jeff,

First of all, thank you for the extremely fast response, that in itself makes me feel that you guys are listening and really do care.

The game is incredible already, and we absolutely love it. The artwork, detail, and thought that went into the characters is nothing less than extraordinary.

I only bring this up because, you have to admit, sitting in your family with everyone watching one person play isn't ideal. I know we can all remember the days when we would have entire LAN parties, and how much fun they were.

I'm not a developer, so I won't pretend to know what I am talking about and say that you guys should be able to make it possible, no problem. I just know artists value feedback, and wanted to give you some food for thought.

Thanks again!
Fully support this. I switched over to PC last year having an Xbox One since launch and only buying the very, very few splitscreen games for it; it is now the Halo: Master Chief Collection Box, and sits in a corner of my living room unless friends come over. Splitscreen is an absolute crucial feature to me; Overwatch is great to play with friends, but given the choice we would 100% pick to get together at someone's house and play it splitscreen. I will instant buy any game that has splitscreen support and, should Overwatch ever support it, I will happily buy a second copy to play on my console.
I agree as well, I currently have the game on PC. I am having a blast, it is an amazing game. However, since some of my brothers only play on console, I feel like I cannot play with them due to the unavailability of split screen.

I really wish overwatch had a split screen feature.
This is more of an issue with hardware then anything else. The consoles are underpowered and when running splitscreen the game needs to essentially render two games at once. In order to do that, they need to reduce the framerate or reduce the resolution/graphical quality. framerate is a non negotiable point being that this is a multiplayer game and most people would not like the hit in graphical fidelity. I would not blame the devs on this one, blame sony and microsoft for making garbage consoles
I'll still look forward to the day you would go for it!
Just curious, if split screen is so hard to implement into a game, why do games from 10+ years ago have it with no problem?
07/07/2016 09:04 AMPosted by Urbanshoe
Just curious, if split screen is so hard to implement into a game, why do games from 10+ years ago have it with no problem?

I think it has to do with the online aspect. It's fine sending the data from one player back and forth but when you add a second player you have twice the amount of data using the same hardware and if it cant handle that you get a much weaker experience over all.
I'd rather rub tabasco in my eyes than play overwatch on split screen. IT's called buying another console and hooking it up to a monitor. Or just play on PC.
05/25/2016 08:53 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We really appreciate the feedback. Split screen is very challenging from a technical perspective. Although it's very unlikely we would be adding that feature, we're not philosophically opposed to it. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear... it's just really, really hard.

Just because it's hard doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. In fact, that is the exact reason you should do it, either with someone else or by yourself in the shower... what were we talking about again?
07/07/2016 09:04 AMPosted by Urbanshoe

Different technologies, different engines, different architectures. If your aim it's to make a game with split screen from the beginning, it's not really hard at all, but change an entire architecture from the end to give this option it's really hard.

To simplify, imagine the game as house. Then you decide that you need a bathroom in the middle of the house, where today is the living room, just imagine the amount of deconstruction and then reconstruction needed.
07/07/2016 09:31 AMPosted by CrazyKoda
I'd rather rub tabasco in my eyes than play overwatch on split screen. IT's called buying another console and hooking it up to a monitor. Or just play on PC.

How does playing PC give splitscreen? LOL
07/07/2016 09:31 AMPosted by CrazyKoda

I'll never understand people who get hostile over potentially optional features they wouldn't have to partake in.
Hard???
Call of duty does it,no difficultys.
I know it is hard but do able.
So please consider it.

"Really, really hard"...

Guys come on. Is this not your job. I am a web developer and I make the impossible possible everyday in my field. I know web development is a little bit different but still... that's hardly an excuse. If I used the excuse that something would not be done because it's really really hard I would be fired in an instant as it sounds you should be. As stated before, Call of Duty has done it, Battlefield has done it, Rainbow 6 has done it, and Blizzard is not going to do it because it's really really hard? Get real.

Let me ask you this Jeff... was making World of Warcraft easy? Was becoming one of the largest most profitable game companies in the world easy? No... It took the blood sweat and tears of many individuals to accomplish those feats. Blizzard employs the smartest, brightest, and most talented people in their fields and Blizzard has pretty much decided that they're not going to take on the challenge of making Overwatch a family game because why... it's too hard? Get real and listen to your consumer.

We're not asking you to reinvent the game, we're asking you to build upon the excellent game you created.
Can we please Have split screen? Even if it's just on console. I would love to take overwatch to my family and play with my brothers and parent's. But investing $400 per person for the game and a console simply isn't worth it.

Halo managed to do it from the start.

I honestly don't know why Blizzard or any company for that matter- Would make a game for Consoles and NOT have Split Screen capabilities.
07/22/2016 10:50 AMPosted by Marvel

Halo managed to do it from the start.

I honestly don't know why Blizzard or any company for that matter- Would make a game for Consoles and NOT have Split Screen capabilities.
The game was originally Titan, for PC. It was built with additions that would work on consoles, but the core of the game comes from PC-based assets, from what I understand.

I may be wrong about how that translates into porting the game on to Consoles.