Mouse sensitivity slider (very important)

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 13 Next
06/16/2016 09:43 AMPosted by soZehh
Bump. Honestly the fact that Mr. Kaplan answering to questions like "please implement a clock" instead of leaving us a statement regarding this feature makes me angry a little bit.

Here we go lets go with screenshots of competitive FPS:

-CSGO http://www.tobyscs.com/files/csgo-pro-mouse-settings.jpg

-CS 1.6 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/IutuMOyFVzw/maxresdefault.jpg

-QUAKE http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/596992393158035829/EA77345AB5342090B0227FCBB5FF890B16ABAC1D/

-Quakelive (doable via console) http://i.imgur.com/gtAxn.png

-Dirty bombs http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/43130180937856526/2412AAF0003BB53730312390F5A22591D41B4432/

-Cod(doable by console) http://i54.tinypic.com/333y6w0.jpg (can't find a proper screenshot

-Day of defeat source http://pcgamingwiki.com/images/thumb/4/44/Day_of_Defeat_Source_Mouse_Gamepad.png/300px-Day_of_Defeat_Source_Mouse_Gamepad.png

I can keep posting. What are we waiting for?

The funny thing is, even casual non-competitive FPS have this option! If it's not in the menu UI itself, you can almost always change sensitivity in console or within an .ini file to a precise value. I've been able to get my preferred sensitivity in everything ranging from The Forest to Guns of Icarus to Vermintide... Overwatch is the only FPS I have ever played where I have to settle.
By my calculations, at 103° FOV, every setting over 8 would skip pixels in 1080p, and every setting over 4 would skip pixels in UHD 4K. Over 90% of the slider might be useless.

To get this, I divided 360 by the FOV, multiplied that by the resolution width, used that result as the DPI, and I used one inch, 2.54cm, as CM/360 in SirDodgy's calculator.
https://jscalc.io/calc/djyxBymfcWCIgD4f#%7B%221%22:null,%222%22:2.54,%223%22:6710,%224%22:1,%225%22:1%7D

Edit-Long Clarification: The width of the resolution relates to the FOV displayed across that width. The FOV is a part of the 360 horizontal degrees we can turn. To equate the resolution width to the 360 degrees, I divide 360 by the FOV and multiply that by the res width. I set that as the DPI, and I set the cm/360 to one inch (2.54cm). This relates one inch of mouse movement to 360°, and having our DPI set to the res width equated via FOV to 360°, makes the calculator figure out the third variable and tell us where Overwatch's sensitivity is 1:1 for our res, where one dot of input from the mouse equals one pixel of movement on screen. Any sensitivity higher would skip pixels, move more than one pixel per dot input from the mouse.
Last bump of the day, eu here, time to sleep, hopefully more and more people join our crusade. It is something that can't be delayed, we need it atleast for competitive patch
I have multiple friends who refuse to buy this game due to this very fact.

They have muscle memory from the past 15 years of playing FPS games and they are unable to use their preferred sensitivity in Overwatch.

Decimal sensitivity needs to be implemented ASAP, I want my friends to purchase and play this game with me!
We hope to add this functionality sometime this summer. My best guess today would be the July-August time frame.
06/16/2016 06:19 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We hope to add this functionality sometime this summer. My best guess today would be the July-August time frame.

That's like cool and all but you are are one of the leading PC video game developers in the universe. Why does it take 'hopefully' 3 months to include something that has been in fps games for 20 years?

Do you lack the talent, or just don't give a crap and are too busy making skins activision style? $$$$$$

I you lack the talent, which I doubt, there are 10 million players on this dumb game. I'm sure one of them could do it for you.
You could always get a mouse that you can change the dpi that's what i use Logitech g500s in the mean time

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Rectalbeam, being rude/insulting them is not the answer.

Although, Jeff, I also question why such a basic feature will take 3 months to implement? Before you downvote, hear me out. I specifically remember a video of you speaking about how you came from a Quake and Counter-Strike background and how you were going to release a chart allowing us to convert our EXACT sensitivities from those games to Overwatch. What was the point of all that if we're unable to?

Once again, we all thank you for the response, but it's quite upsetting that my friends and I won't be able to compete in the competitive mode until July or August. We would LOVE to start from the beginning with our 6 man team like everyone else. And being a gamer yourself, you know that 15-20 years of muscle memory is not something hardcore FPS players are willing to just throw away.

We, the community, and my friends, beg of you to implement this as soon as possible. It is essential to competition as well as our enjoyment of the game.

Let us play Overwatch OUR way, we're waiting!
06/16/2016 06:26 PMPosted by Rectalbeam

That's like cool and all but you are are one of the leading PC video game developers in the universe. Why does it take 'hopefully' 3 months to include something that has been in fps games for 20 years?

Do you lack the talent, or just don't give a crap and are too busy making skins activision style? $$$$$$

I you lack the talent, which I doubt, there are 10 million players on this dumb game. I'm sure one of them could do it for you.

Maybe because they're focusing on more important things? Like, I don't know, ranked, which will launch soon?

That's great to hear and all, but it's confusing why something so simple should take so long?

Hi MR. Kaplan!!! Finally a statement!!!!!!!
Glad to hear this news, but everyone keep asking why does it take so long such a basic feature, as I said before this is something that has to be introduced together with competitive/ranked.

Glad to hear more and more people realizing how important is this!
As you already read above from the guy Yardsale, this is something that is gonna hold me back, probably I won't play competitive until you add the functionality, just personal preference.
Waiting for a technical response about why it takes so long when you have some free time.

CHeers
06/16/2016 06:45 PMPosted by McSqueeb117

Maybe because they're focusing on more important things? Like, I don't know, ranked, which will launch soon?

This is important for playing ranked/competitive, have ever you played a fps on high level? I have.

If you haven't this kind of problem because of mouse with small dpi adjustments well, you are egoistic.
05/25/2016 07:03 AMPosted by Ravinsild
Man. I feel so clueless about literally all of this. Was DPI and all that a thing back during Duke Nukem 3D and DOOM and Unreal Tournament? Those are the last shooters I played - then Modern Warfare on the xbox 360

Nope.

Well, not really. I think there were some rudimentary settings in Doom and Quake, but nothing with the fine control a decimal setting will give. For the most part back then we just ran and gunned and if we died, oh, well.
It will take that long because, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that important to the vast majority of players and there are more important things to implement.
06/16/2016 06:26 PMPosted by Rectalbeam

after implementing something you have to test it extensively to make sure there's no crashes or conflicts with other things... if you've never developed a game before I doubt you understand how even one line of code can break something totally unrelated.
July-August, I didn't think this can be so hard.
So, I imagine a bigger fix like mouse input lag need 1 or 2 years?
For the fanboys out there just stop. I have 1 dollar indie games on steam and free to play games online that have specific decimal adjustment sensitivity sliders. If some guy can do it alone in his mothers basement then this damn company has no excuse. Just get over yourselves and daddy blizzard.

It is very very very obvious the are putting resources into the shop. I bet we see dozens of new skins and poses come out with $$$ price tags on them before we get this. How many lines of code are in a bikini or an axe for reinhardt?

Stop being push overs. This isn't a f2p game, you should expect more.
05/25/2016 06:58 AMPosted by Pich
We need RAW INPUT too.

1000^1000 this. I can't understand why, in an fps, this isn't an option.
Thanks for the reply Jeff.

A shorter time frame would still be nice. It shouldn't take 1 UI programmer more than an afternoon max.

I was also extremely surprised that for such a polished game from a developer famed for attention to detail that high precision sensitivity isn't implemented.