Have Pharah speak Arabic! (voice ideas below!)

General Discussion
I would appreciate this. Unfortunately I can't see it happening, since her lines are already recorded, and I don't think that they would want to get her VA back in there, and set everything up again, to add like 3 or 4 new lines.
I'll give this idea a thumbs up. I like the attempt at cultural inclusiveness that they've shot for in this game, and a change like this I think is a good way to help respectfully support that ideal.

06/23/2016 04:46 AMPosted by HowPlayGaem
Coptic would make more sense for her since she's obsessed with ancient Egypt.

Maybe do both?

06/23/2016 07:38 AMPosted by Blutmond
Torbjorn is Swedish and he doesn't have any lines in his native language.

Thinking about Torbjorn griping on and on about Omnics and such in Swedish is kind of fascinating. I really sort of want that in the game now.

06/23/2016 08:26 AMPosted by Illuminase
I would appreciate this. Unfortunately I can't see it happening, since her lines are already recorded, and I don't think that they would want to get her VA back in there, and set everything up again, to add like 3 or 4 new lines.

I'm under the impression that as they add new heroes, they'll be both rehiring some of the same voice actors, and in some instances will be bringing voice actors back to record dialogue that occurs between pre-existing heroes and the new ones. So there may very well be an opportunity for them to have the Voice Actor record new lines for Pharah.
Germans and Russians were the bad guys for a long time.

It is Arabic's turn.

Deal with it.

'MURICA
06/23/2016 06:26 AMPosted by Lukar
06/23/2016 04:46 AMPosted by HowPlayGaem
Coptic would make more sense for her since she's obsessed with ancient Egypt.

Given her backstory it doesn't make much sense. She grew up in Egypt, served in the Egyptian military, and is now stationed as a security chief at a facility in Gaza. Even if she knew Coptic, she would have needed to be fluent in Arabic and spoken that on a regular basis.

Coptic is a practically dead language now.
Imagine how dead it would be in Overwatch's time.

About 300 people speak Coptic, some of them religious people who work for the church (similar to how Catholics may use Latin in worship, Coptic Christians may use Coptic in worship) and some of them speak it for academic reasons (Egyptologists: Linguists/Historians/Anthropologists etc). Supposedly one family in the entirety of Egypt speaks Coptic at home, and even then they speak Arabic to function in Egyptian society.
http://www.copticassembly.org/showart.php?main_id=838

Pharah may well be a Coptic Egyptian. At the very least, she doesn't seem to be overtly Muslim. But if she's Egyptian, then it's pretty much confirmed that she speaks Arabic as her primary and main language.
people think Arabic = Muslim, which just shows the ignorance of some people.
06/23/2016 03:59 PMPosted by Craghack
people think Arabic = Muslim, which just shows the ignorance of some people.

Almost all arabics are muslim
This is going to end well.
I have a Turkish co-worker who understands why Arabic isn't used as much in western media as other languages. He simply puts it as "it's not as pleasing to hear as other European languages for westerners".

Imagine if they made a Scottish hero that spoke Gaelic.... would be awful sounding.
06/23/2016 04:42 AMPosted by BloodyDahlia
I would just like to clarify something. I am a native Arabic speaker and I studied the language extensively during and after college. I have a job doing translation work and I can say with the utmost confidence that this:
05/29/2016 03:19 AMPosted by Lyelentu

!!الأمطار الحقيقة من السماء
al’amtar-alhaqiqatu min-alssama’i!!
"The truth rains from the heavens!"

is not an accurate translation of what that says in English. In Arabic, that phrase morphology doesn't make any sense. What that actually says is "The true rains from the heavens!"

Which, again, makes no sense.

Have you tried another language of overwatch?
Not every language says the same thing.

Heroes never die should be Helden sterben nie I believe, not Helden sterben nicht.
Das ist eure gerechte Strafe not means justice rains from above also.
I'd be pretty cool with that. I'm on boat with more characters speaking their native tongue when they ult or just have voice lines. I understand that it could be difficult to do , but it would still be a nice little thing to add.

Lucio would be one of those heroes that I would very much enjoy getting those sorts of voice lines for.

[snip]

!!الأمطار الحقيقة من السماء
al’amtar-alhaqiqatu min-alssama’i!!
"The truth rains from the heavens!"

[snip]

It's hard to touch on this without having to talk about the islamic religion

I applaud overwatch's diversity and I think characters should be more visually and vocally accurate to their culture (the Lucio/Brazil post made a whole lot of sense).

I have no problem with Pharah speaking Arabic.

And since this game is set in the near-future on Earth, it would be inaccurate not to mention Religion in any capacity. So to say a character is religiously affiliated - sure why not.

But please keep religion OUT of the characters' motives and in-game behavior and vocals. For one this is still a fantasy world so it would be disrespectful for the game to assume how religion would fit, react, and work in it. If it's gotta be there, keep it in the backstory and lore.

"The truth rains from the heavens" sure sounds like a religious battle-cry and I'm pretty sure no one wants their religion portrayed in a game where people are killing other people and using their religion as their motive for killing. This is coming from an Atheist.
I would absolutely love to see more backstory/heritage in all of these characters, but especially Pharah! She seems so ignored and plain sometimes.
06/23/2016 04:57 PMPosted by HadesHarlot
I'd be pretty cool with that. I'm on boat with more characters speaking their native tongue when they ult or just have voice lines. I understand that it could be difficult to do , but it would still be a nice little thing to add.

Lucio would be one of those heroes that I would very much enjoy getting those sorts of voice lines for.

Lucio is a black American DJ.. What language do you expect him to speak? Ebonics?
06/23/2016 10:33 PMPosted by Blutmond
06/23/2016 04:57 PMPosted by HadesHarlot

Lucio is a black American DJ.. What language do you expect him to speak? Ebonics?

Well he's supposed to be Brazilian but Blizzard failed pretty hard there.