What are the dots in the fps counter?

Technical Support
https://i.imgur.com/TpnN13w.jpg

Normally I have 70 fps but even then, sometimes I end up with three dots next to the fps number and the movements start to become slightly delayed (50-100 ms maybe?), it is basically impossible to aim.

Does anyone know what those dots mean, what can I do?
Wondering about this as well, googled and couldn't find any answers.
Hello, same question here.
What mean the "dots" near the fram rate ?
Bump.
I found something of an answer on reddit. Direct quote :

"I asked this question to A_Seagull, and apparently one of the engine guys told him this:
***: one dot means framerate is simulation bound (lots of gameplay to sim, GPU/render is fine)
[1:37 PM] ***: two dots means GPU is saturated
[1:38 PM] ***: three dots means the Render thread (which feeds the GPU) is limiting the framerate"

1 dot and 2 dots seems straighforward (1 = everything is fine, 2 = too much stuff to handle) but I'm not entirely sure what 3 dots mean.

My game seems to be running with 1 dot when in the loading screen, when it is in the background, when I'm looking at a wall and nothing is happening. But it keeps switching very quickly between 1 and 3 dots when I'm playing normally (moving around the map, shooting at enemies, in the middle of teamfights etc basically everything else). I am still hitting very consistently 120 to 140FPS in game so I'm not complaining but it's weird because why would something limit my GPU if it clearly isn't overloaded ?
07/08/2016 05:19 PMPosted by Elvenstar
I found something of an answer on reddit. Direct quote :

"I asked this question to A_Seagull, and apparently one of the engine guys told him this:
***: one dot means framerate is simulation bound (lots of gameplay to sim, GPU/render is fine)
[1:37 PM] ***: two dots means GPU is saturated
[1:38 PM] ***: three dots means the Render thread (which feeds the GPU) is limiting the framerate"

1 dot and 2 dots seems straighforward (1 = everything is fine, 2 = too much stuff to handle) but I'm not entirely sure what 3 dots mean.

My game seems to be running with 1 dot when in the loading screen, when it is in the background, when I'm looking at a wall and nothing is happening. But it keeps switching very quickly between 1 and 3 dots when I'm playing normally (moving around the map, shooting at enemies, in the middle of teamfights etc basically everything else). I am still hitting very consistently 120 to 140FPS in game so I'm not complaining but it's weird because why would something limit my GPU if it clearly isn't overloaded ?

The engine guy is saying that the 3 dots means that your computer is trying to render assets in-game, but since it's trying to process a lot of objects in the game, the result is an FPS drop. For some players, it will result in CPU overload; though for some, it's actually not an overload although it may seem like it. It's just putting a strain on your CPU. But it depends if your CPU is weak/outdated or strong/recent. (This concept applies to other detail-heavy games.)

As you walk around the map, more map objects are being loaded and as a result your FPS will drop for a few seconds, but come back up once it's loaded. Same goes for the heroes: loading detail like guns, armor, etc.

This occurrence is common when you set your FPS limit to 'None'.

If you're just looking at a wall, it would load quickly due to low detail (it's just a wall). Your FPS counter will either have 0 dots or 1 dot, once again depending on your CPU - but I doubt that anyone would get 3 dots from just looking at a wall.

A common solution to complete asset loading is to go near the center of the map and do a full circle at medium speed. This ensures that models around you are successfully loaded and you won't have to deal with FPS drops in the future. Just make sure you don't go near enemy fire while doing this. (If you spin too quickly, objects and details won't load fast enough. If you spin slowly, well, you might die while doing so..... plus, it's kind of boring.)
07/08/2016 05:47 PMPosted by WaterLight

The engine guy is saying that the 3 dots means that your computer is trying to render assets in-game, but since it's trying to process a lot of objects in the game, the result is an FPS drop. For some players, it will result in CPU overload; though for some, it's actually not an overload although it may seem like it. It's just putting a strain on your CPU. But it depends if your CPU is weak/outdated or strong/recent. (This concept applies to other detail-heavy games.)

As you walk around the map, more map objects are being loaded and as a result your FPS will drop for a few seconds, but come back up once it's loaded. Same goes for the heroes: loading detail like guns, armor, etc.

This occurrence is common when you set your FPS limit to 'None'.

If you're just looking at a wall, it would load quickly due to low detail (it's just a wall). Your FPS counter will either have 0 dots or 1 dot, once again depending on your CPU - but I doubt that anyone would get 3 dots from just looking at a wall.

A common solution to complete asset loading is to go near the center of the map and do a full circle at medium speed. This ensures that models around you are successfully loaded and you won't have to deal with FPS drops in the future. Just make sure you don't go near enemy fire while doing this. (If you spin too quickly, objects and details won't load fast enough. If you spin slowly, well, you might die while doing so..... plus, it's kind of boring.)

Thank you for this detailed answer :)

The FPS "drops" are really not bothering me though, I don't even consider them drops. I'm running at 170FPS in the starting room or when walking through an empty map and dropping to 140 when the game starts and we start meeting enemies. The worst case of "drop" is when I'm in the middle of a complete teamfight with several ults being used and everyone shooting and even then it only gets as low as 120FPS so it's not even noticeable.
This is using a mix of medium and low settings on a gtx 970, I really couldn't expect nor ask better.

I also don't think my CPU is limiting anything it must just be as you said because the game is loading assets and hence the CPU is working a bit harder.
It's an i7-2600 (from 2011). So while it does seem old in computer years it's still more than enough for games.
well i had those dots only when i turn Vsync off, when it's turned on the dots disappear
still having this issue, any way to fix it?
02/11/2017 09:29 AMPosted by bludhaven
still having this issue, any way to fix it?

FYI, i moved my PC yesterday to a friends house and that's when the issue started. I tried replugging the gpu and reinstalling the drivers
I'm having the SAME "3 dot" problem. Im averaging 58-92 FPS (with 3 dots) and it seems ok. I saw a streamer notice his dots as well and he turned reduce buffering off and on. I tried that but it doesn't do anything. BUT... when I turn VSYNC "ON", the dots go away. I know people say VSYNC brings about input lag, but It makes the dots go away. Should I settle for the dots with VSYN OFF or settle for the "input lag" (which i dont really notice) with VYSNC on?
My fps gets stuck with those dots on 60 after turning the game on the second time...
If you guys run on NVIDIA - use NVDIA control panel - go to overwatch - add it if not added - set v-sync off - selet "Prefer maximum performance" in Power Management Mode.

Also go to your power plan settings for windows and select: Power Options->Set it High Performance->Change plan settings->Change advanced power settings->and under Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state -> set both to 90%

Never play on battery! Make Overwatch show your Processor heat - its next to where you selected letting it show fps.

Update windows - if possible and you are not stuck with 1703 for win 10 which has an update bug...

I have an HP Omen laptop with Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti graphics, 8 gig ram and Intelcore i7 7700HQ, and Reinstalled windows, and it automatically capped my fps to 60... - before it ran with 150 without issues :DDDD so i was pretty sure the problem is not with my hardware. Also I had a Dell before with a bit more conservative hardware and it even ran with 150 fps without issues.

Sometimes my audio drivers also cause a lot of issue as well... especially the fact that any new modern headset has its own driver - eg Logitech - and windows 10 in general ever since it has been introduced had some issues with audio - it can screw up everything...
OH yeah forgot to say - if you have an SSD - please install overwatch to run from it - it helps loading in things - rendering will be buffed a bit. Also - put everything to low in video settings - and set scale to 75% in additional setting - the + button shows this option.

This will also help in rendering faster. Also turn down v-sync in game as well.