Temple of Anubis Most Unbalanced Map?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next
06/01/2016 05:53 PMPosted by Gesha24
06/01/2016 05:21 PMPosted by Xade
A bit unbalanced but nothing compared to Volskaya Industries.

Taking B in that map is almost impossible.

Send over a turret(lvl3)/bastion with Reinheardt shield on the moving platform and enjoy the show. There are obviously counters to that, but that definitely is going to keep defenders busy and let you at least enter the space.

As for the original question - I feel that I am playing with people that have already more or less figured how to defend, but still didn't figure out how to attack. So I tend to lose most of attacks, but that has nothing to do with the map itself. I am sure that it will get better as the time goes.

Works everytime! In rank 20-30
06/01/2016 05:43 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
05/27/2016 06:33 PMPosted by Jarxo
I remember during Beta there were quite a few complaints about ToA being extremely DEF sided.

Thoughts now since the game is out?

Since launch, attackers have won 47.6% of the time and defenders have won 52.4% of the time.

Maybe so, a near 50/50. But having a choke point in the beginning does make it less fun for the attackers. If we had another path to flank (a small tunnel perhaps) the defense, it wouldn't be such a headache when the defense is solid.
06/28/2016 08:10 AMPosted by Cofu
06/01/2016 05:26 PMPosted by kuro
Anubis, Volskaya and Hanamura are three of the worst, and most unfun, maps to play. At least...that's what I think anyway.

Hanamura makes me shudder. I hate being on offense and trying to cap B.

Hanamura Point B is rough.

06/28/2016 11:22 AMPosted by YatendoujiRo

So your not going to try and perfect the map and make it 50/50?

Sometimes it's fun to run into the Omaha Beach that is point A on gates of Anubis. As long as some maps are weighted towards offense it should balance itself out.
07/19/2016 04:45 AMPosted by COOLROLLA
¡¡¡¡GHOST!!!!!
Yea Ye Yea... BUT what about FVC**1N8 ¿¿¿GHOSTS???...seriously... Can't see it and it just follows u and harass/u!?!??
Worst is that when I try to look it up. People r tryna keep it and the rest of EE a secret... I know that Pharra-Anubis/Genji-nomad skins auto reflect that bright azzz light?! (¿other legendary Skin that r gold?maybe)
disbelief???> CustomGame>Solo>TempleOfAnubis>skirmish> Pharrah-Anubis/Genji-Nomad skin.... Go in temple(Point B)... Break all pots/boxes insight by doorway...¿they block the light?, reflect light with skin,literally stand underlight (not blue light)aim towards darkness/towards door inside, this should brighten up the room while u glow with a chiming sound.then face corner, crouch, be still(prob not needed) and then all of a sudden You are going to turn around real quick to a progressively loud, obnoxious, invisible, and amazingly talented pot/box mender,(making it dark again). OH and as soon as you look it stops like super Mario Bros/Doctor Who style?! Have some more info… BUT Frustrated on lack of knowledge and ability for help, losing desire, little scared at times . apparently secret room/portal to other map-Kings Row clocktower? No confirmation of purpose. unable to gather any info from community/Internet besides 2vid(Not a reaper) rather fight team of roadhogs …ANY ONE!!! INTEREST? knowledge? solve with me? Send me a message/invite (XBOX1)

Someone decipher what this fool is typing.
I find it easy to flank to the right under the bridge, I oft swap between sides when I play as a flanker. In addition, it is beneficial to keep an eye on the defenders spawn corridors, and keep them covered after a push to prevent reinforcements.

I think its balanced, because the defense needs to stop many attacks. Whereas the attackers only need one or two successful pushes that can be brought on by anything.

I believe people are still adapting and learning ways heroes work together on certain maps.
This thread is old as dirt lol

Anubis is one of my favorite maps for both attack and defend. I don't really have any trouble with it as long as everyone is participating.
I don't think Anubis, or Hanamura, for that matter, are imbalanced towards defenders, but I do think they feel awkward and a bit less fun to attack than other maps.

If it weren't so much work for level designers and artists, I would suggest widening some of the play areas on Anubis, and maybe changing the choke points for Hanamura point B, then balancing the maps around those changes. I don't see that much work being put into existing maps unless nobody seems to enjoy them, though.
07/19/2016 05:08 AMPosted by Aize
¡¡¡¡GHOST!!!!!
Yea Ye Yea... BUT what about FVC**1N8 ¿¿¿GHOSTS???...seriously... Can't see it and it just follows u and harass/u!?!??
Worst is that when I try to look it up. People r tryna keep it and the rest of EE a secret... I know that Pharra-Anubis/Genji-nomad skins auto reflect that bright azzz light?! (¿other legendary Skin that r gold?maybe)
disbelief???> CustomGame>Solo>TempleOfAnubis>skirmish> Pharrah-Anubis/Genji-Nomad skin.... Go in temple(Point B)... Break all pots/boxes insight by doorway...¿they block the light?, reflect light with skin,literally stand underlight (not blue light)aim towards darkness/towards door inside, this should brighten up the room while u glow with a chiming sound.then face corner, crouch, be still(prob not needed) and then all of a sudden You are going to turn around real quick to a progressively loud, obnoxious, invisible, and amazingly talented pot/box mender,(making it dark again). OH and as soon as you look it stops like super Mario Bros/Doctor Who style?! Have some more info… BUT Frustrated on lack of knowledge and ability for help, losing desire, little scared at times . apparently secret room/portal to other map-Kings Row clocktower? No confirmation of purpose. unable to gather any info from community/Internet besides 2vid(Not a reaper) rather fight team of roadhogs …ANY ONE!!! INTEREST? knowledge? solve with me? Send me a message/invite (XBOX1)

Someone decipher what this fool is typing.
I remember during Beta there were quite a few complaints about ToA being extremely DEF sided.

Since launch, attackers have won 47.6% of the time and defenders have won 52.4% of the time.

I would love statistics published per season on win rate per map like this (at least per season, maybe more often). It only will continue with the awesome transparency Jeff and Overwatch team have been providing to the community. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
Then why did I not see this map once in tourny?
Temple of Anubis basically breaks down to breaking the chokehold, then having your enemy blows all their ultimates as fruitlessly as possible for the last point and then just dropping all of yours.

I'd be interested in how much those percentages are altered by removing quick "snowball" wins - that is, excluding wins where point B is captured almost immediately after A, before the defense has a chance to set up (perhaps within 1 minute). Overall win rates are nice, but for purposes of gameplay fun I'm more interested in how feasible it is to break an established defense.
¡¡¡¡GHOST!!!!!

All right... here goes...

Apparently, COOLROLLA is talking about an easter egg that appears in Temple of Anubis. It can be activated inside the dark alcove flank route on the right (if you're facing the choke point) of Point B, and you need a reflective character skin, like Pharah's Anubis or Genji's Nomad, to do it. This can also be done in a solo custom game.

Go into the alcove with a character wearing the reflective skin and break all of the destructible objects. This will allow more like to filter into the alcove. Position your shiny character in a way that reflects the light from outside into the alcove and try to scan the light around. Near one of the doorways should be a particular dark patch, which is where you want to shine the light. If you're success in...whatever this is, you'll hear an audible confirmation in the form of a chime.

At this point, all players participating should turn their backs on that spot and face a corner or wall. After a short while, you'll heard something approaching from behind, getting progressively louder. It functions somewhat like the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who (or the Boos from Mario) in that it moves towards you and attacks if you aren't looking in its direction.

Apparently this will persist for the entire game, but COOLROLLA laments that he wasn't able to get a full team of cooperative people together to test it. It just attacks him throughout the course of a match and presumably disappears completely after awhile? Not really sure. Seems like it'd be a pretty strong tool to use in a match if you can summon a ghost that will harass people for the entire game.

He also says that he's heard of other such secrets in other maps, notable King's Row. Also, this was experienced on the Xbox One version.

So, uh....

Yeah.
06/28/2016 07:58 AMPosted by PhoenixTear

Great. Now try to estimate in how many of those 47.6% of total matches attackers actually enjoyed the game. I would say 10%, mainly made from full partys.

Even when you win A/B maps are less fun than watching paint dry. Getting a yellow "Victory" on my screen after being continuously frustrated for 10 minutes doesn't change my overall impression.

I love nothing more than breaking a well set up defense, and as long as my team isn't straight garbage I enjoy losses.
TOA is fine except the last point. It is too enclosed, minimising flanking potential. There is also minimal range potential, given most of the back line of covered by walls. Turrets behind the walls and an organised defence is extremely difficult to break down.
just speaking about comp.
This is the least attack favoured 2 capture point map. only map where i do not always see 4 points on both sides. Even though it still happens more often than not.

same holds true for any map. only rarely see a defensive hold.
07/19/2016 10:07 AMPosted by mrCK
Temple of Anubis basically breaks down to breaking the chokehold, then having your enemy blows all their ultimates as fruitlessly as possible for the last point and then just dropping all of yours.

That requires coordination though. I think the reason people hate these maps so much is because there's little to no coordination in Queue Mode and it ends up feeling unfair or unbalanced for many, since it's easier to set up a good defense without coordination as opposed to a good offense.
06/01/2016 05:49 PMPosted by random51
Hanamura has always been the least balanced from my point of view, in the favor of defense on the last point.

Due to the size of the final cap room it is very hard to devastate the entire defending enemy team with an ult combo as long as they stay spread out a bit.

First point is also really bad with all the chokepoints right next to each other and visible from practically any defensive position.

I agree, Hanamura's combo of a very tight choke point at the main gates, and a very open low cover B point make attacking it very difficult. I'd say Hanamura's gates are even worse than Anubis's arch. Sure there's a slight side path if you can fly/climb, but it's still coverable from the same area as the gates, and it's hard to get to cover, and it distracts people from trying to break through the defense at the gate. The line of sight is also massively in D's favor.
For Anubis, the architecture exposes the defense more than the attack, as the tighter geometry means rushing attackers have more cover, and a turret can't cover the entire possible area of attackers at once. All heroes can rush through the left door, which has a large health pack before the stairs up to the raised defense area.

tl;dr, The design of Anubis's A point clusters the defense together while letting the attack spread out to swarm them. The opposite is true of Hanamura's courtyard and gate, which clusters together the attacking push while giving the defense a ton of long angles to hit them from.
06/01/2016 05:52 PMPosted by TWOEASY
06/01/2016 05:46 PMPosted by LockstarB210
... That's a pretty good ratio to be quite honest.

its a bad ratio . if it was a good map then close to 50% . 52.4% isn't close it probably millions of games more win to the defence . this map has many many issues.
It's better than almost any CS:GO map…
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/csgo/blog/images/graphs/CSGO_OverallRoundOutcome_de_small.png
08/30/2016 05:15 AMPosted by DireSyndrome
<span class="truncated">...</span>

its a bad ratio . if it was a good map then close to 50% . 52.4% isn't close it probably millions of games more win to the defence . this map has many many issues.
It's better than almost any CS:GO map…
http://media.steampowered.com/apps/csgo/blog/images/graphs/CSGO_OverallRoundOutcome_de_small.png

I'm surprised it's a worse ratio than Dust2 or Mirage. Dust2 has a reputation as attacker sided (everyone expects to get way more points on T side), and Mirage the opposite, people expect to rank up more wins on CT. If you finish a first half of Dust2 as T and are losing to the other team that just finished their time as CT, lots of players will rage, and start to play way worse... which definitely artificially adds to the reputation. :P