Character ages make no sense.

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
While everyone's here talking about ages, I'm just sitting here waiting for Blizzard to release and official Overwatch timeline book.
after genji was restored, he joined overwatch. that can be seen in a pic of him with mccree, rein, and all the others. hes also wearing a jumpsuit in overwatch's colours
This might help answer some questions. In two of the images mentioned, characters' ages are portrayed inaccurately:

The first is the medal ceremony with the human and omnic shaking hands (side note: this is not the end of the Omnic Crisis, as some have theorized, which is why Tracer, Winston, McCree, and Mercy can be there). Ana, Reyes, and Morrison should be older.

The other is the "congratulations" photo in Recall, where Reyes, Morrison, Torbjorn, and Ana should again be older.
Highly Rated
01/03/2017 08:11 AMPosted by Michael Chu
In two of the images mentioned, characters' ages are portrayed inaccurately:
They just had the younger skins equipped.
This might help answer some questions. In two of the images mentioned, characters' ages are portrayed inaccurately:

The first is the medal ceremony with the human and omnic shaking hands (side note: this is not the end of the Omnic Crisis, as some have theorized, which is why Tracer, Winston, McCree, and Mercy can be there). Ana, Reyes, and Morrison should be older.

The other is the "congratulations" photo in Recall, where Reyes, Morrison, Torbjorn, and Ana should again be older.

This is pretty helpful, thanks!

I think that it would be worth re-commissioning these pieces of art to update them, because a lot of people are VERY attached to the lore and feel lore-starved, so they put a lot of stock in every little thing that comes out.
01/03/2017 08:29 AMPosted by MadLaughter

I think that it would be worth re-commissioning these pieces of art to update them, because a lot of people are VERY attached to the lore and feel lore-starved, so they put a lot of stock in every little thing that comes out.

This creates a slippery slope, though. If every modification to the lore requires that resources be expended to correct elements released previously, that just encourages Blizzard to never modify past lore. That doesn't necessarily benefit the growth and development of the story.

Reaper was shown using a grenade launcher as a secondary weapon during the original cinematic, and yet since then it's never showed up in-game or in any other depiction of the character. I don't feel like it's necessary for Blizzard to re-do that cinematic in order to remove the grenade launcher, because that's a prohibitively high cost for purely academic purposes.

The game and the story behind it are still growing. There are going to be inconsistencies. We can trust that Blizzard is going to minimize them or run damage control on them going forward (note how quickly Chu popped up mention that Tracer could be without her chronal accelerator on) but expecting more than that might be a bridge too far.
01/03/2017 09:39 AMPosted by kevin80
01/03/2017 09:37 AMPosted by Columbo
Hitscan.

Notably S76 and McCree.

Another counter? I cant aim. not even with soldier...

If you can't aim with hitscan, you're probably not going to be able to kill a Pharah. Learn how to aim. You're not going to do well in a first person shooter video game if you're not good at aiming.

Mr. Chu! Please :o

Can you make Sombra x D.Va a thing some how? I don't care how you do it or what but please?

In the team photo from the Ana Origin Story video https://youtu.be/yzFWIw7wV8Q?t=47 [linked here at 47 seconds] are the ages a bit misrepresented here as well? Fareeha and Mercy appear to be a bit further than 5 years apart, for example.
01/03/2017 03:19 PMPosted by Arcaine

In the team photo from the Ana Origin Story video https://youtu.be/yzFWIw7wV8Q?t=47 [linked here at 47 seconds] are the ages a bit misrepresented here as well? Fareeha and Mercy appear to be a bit further than 5 years apart, for example.

The characters don't age as new ones appear but they should, it's just the way the video was made.
Blizzard has never been the most....consistent, with their timelines and lore. I wouldn't worry about the details, and it's important to keep in mind that many people who identify with Overwatch now either did when it was being dismantled or post-destruction.

great! can you address the problem with mei's glitch
01/03/2017 09:40 AMPosted by Crow

This creates a slippery slope, though. If every modification to the lore requires that resources be expended to correct elements released previously, that just encourages Blizzard to never modify past lore. That doesn't necessarily benefit the growth and development of the story.

Reaper was shown using a grenade launcher as a secondary weapon during the original cinematic, and yet since then it's never showed up in-game or in any other depiction of the character. I don't feel like it's necessary for Blizzard to re-do that cinematic in order to remove the grenade launcher, because that's a prohibitively high cost for purely academic purposes.

The game and the story behind it are still growing. There are going to be inconsistencies. We can trust that Blizzard is going to minimize them or run damage control on them going forward (note how quickly Chu popped up mention that Tracer could be without her chronal accelerator on) but expecting more than that might be a bridge too far.

Your point about Reaper is quite invalid, as it can simply be that he brought along the weapon specifically for this mission. Same goes with Sombra's timer on her translocator in Infiltration - the media content is not intended to be a complete 100% reflection of their abilities in-game. These age inaccuracies however should be fixed (or provided with reasons as to why they are inaccurate - a painting, perhaps? :P) so as to ensure the lore is smooth and not confusing with respect to the timeline. :)
<span class="truncated">...</span>

There is a huge difference between a weapon in a cinematic and two art images portraying events from the Lore being inaccurate, and allowed to go live. Especially from a company like Blizzard. From a small independent company with a minimal staff and resources, I can see it.

Blizzard already cancelled the graphic novel from Dark Horse because they've decided to modify the lore after the fact. That's a bit amateur from such an established company. Overwatch, if it was going to have a Lore like this, should have had the core Story Bible completed and ready to go in a deliverable version before the game's launch. I can see having to retcon and change parts of Lore on something as old and baggage heavy as the Warcraft setting at this point. But on a new I.P. such as Overwatch is?

I've become a bit less interested in the Lore recently, because the entire thing is starting to sound rushed and cobbled together to get out the door, instead of a setting that was properly developed. Not saying it wasn't, mind you, as I've no inkling of what really goes on behind those doors. But that's my opinion thus far.
Perhaps the battles we are playing DON'T happen in a set time after the Omnic Crisis ended, but instead these battles happen over a wide range of periods in the lore of OW?

For example, the event at Watchpoint: Gibralter is an attempt to recall Overwatch members back to duty, as we can see from Winston's writings on the chalkboards at the attack spawn. We do see Winston fight Reaper to recall OW in the Cinematic, but we don't know when exactly that happened in relation to our fight at WP:G. Our fight at WP:G is the fight to recall/stop the recall of OW, definitely putting it after the Omnic Crisis.

But another example, our fight at King's Row, points to possibly being DURING the Omnic Crisis. Look at all the anti-omnic wall writings. We don't know when it happened, but could it be in the midst of the crisis, AFTER Widow's assassination of the Omnic leader?

TL:DR -- The fights we do at each location happen at different times during the OW lore, and each is a separate vignette- each is a small conflict that is part of a larger story we don't know enough about yet.
01/03/2017 03:24 PMPosted by Oscar97

The characters don't age as new ones appear but they should, it's just the way the video was made.

Could be, since she's talking about what Fareeha was surrounded by as she grew. That's why I asked if the ages were misrepresented, rather than if it was a mistake. The fact that they all appear to be posing for a together-photo is what spawned the desire for clarification. It's this particular picture that generated my concern with the ages initially, seeing how far apart in age Fareeha appeared in contrast to the others.
It will probably end anyway with them going back in time to prevent First Crusade or something,so whoooo cares? Honestly, Blizzard is much better at world making than storymaking as of later.

IIRC, this takes place 20 years in the past, making Mercy and McCree 17 and Pharrah 12. This basically means that Mercy and McCree are practically adults, while Pharrah is still pre-pubescent, explaining the difference in age.