Is there a reason D.Va's damage is so low?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
D.Va is meant to get up close and personal. She’s not meant to be with the group and “tank” – Use her E when flying to an opponent and then light them up with your guns. She’s also really OP if you can instant respawn into the mech after using her ultimate. She needs an armor buff or something though. Or damage buff on the mech. I do give u that.
I have posted it before but there are a few ways to improve her kit that I have thought of.

Firing while defense matrix is active
or
Defense matrix damage absorbed charges her cannons like Zarya
or
Move her headshot hitbox to her back(cause mechs shouldnt have weakspots in front)
or
remove her slow movement during firing. No one else slows down when they fire and yet they do a !@#$ ton more damage.
D.Va's damage is definitely on the lower side, much like Winstons. They are this way for a similar reason: They are both very mobile and hard to kill. Every character in the game has strengths and weaknesses, its part of what makes the teamplay work well.

That said, I do think the is some room for some D.Va improvements, but these are unlikely to take the shape of increasing her damage output significantly.
05/31/2016 10:56 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman
D.Va's damage is definitely on the lower side, much like Winstons. They are this way for a similar reason: They are both very mobile and hard to kill. Every character in the game has strengths and weaknesses, its part of what makes the teamplay work well.

That said, I do think the is some room for some D.Va improvements, but these are unlikely to take the shape of increasing her damage output significantly.

An armor buff or hitbox change would help. The mech dies too fast. Or allow us to fire with shield up (the shield is so short anyway).

Cool thanks Geoff, encouraging to hear.

That said I don't think she's particularly difficult to kill and her mobility tanks hard when she's firing her guns.
Highly Rated

She is definitely not hard to kill. As many have pointed out, her center mass is a giant weakspot.

I am curious. What "improvements" do you believe D.Va needs?
05/31/2016 10:59 AMPosted by Hydev
I am curious. What "improvements" do you believe D.Va needs?

I am hoping for an improvement to mech survivability.
Make her harder to kill then if you dont upgrade her damage :)

her mech melts in under a second due to the huge head hitbox. fix this.

Hard to kill?

Thanks for the giggle <3

Every character has a role, something they excel at. It would be interesting to hear where you think D.VA excels, and isn't just usurped in usefulness in that role, by a many other characters.

Nice to have a response though, and hear you're looking into it.

Hard to kill?

Thanks for the giggle <3

QFT. That just made me LOL

Yet Reinhardt is still the only REAL viable tank, AND does incredible amounts of damage without his ultimate. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh and forgot to mention no one ever dies to her ultimate.

I disagree on both points. Mobility is all encompassing. Can she get around the map faster than most heroes? Sure. Her mobility when it truly matters, during combat, is worse than any other hero in the game. Combined with her enormous headshot hitbox in the center of her mech, and enormous hitbox in general she's easily the squishiest, most vulnerable and least mobile of all heroes.

Other than Zenyatta nothing is easier to kill than Dva, and that's somewhat debatable due to Zen actually being a significant threat at any range. The mech melts like butter. It moves so slow while firing it may as well have perma Mei freeze/McCree flashbang on it. That's an enormous downside just for having no reload. I think most people who care to play D.Va would rather have a reload than to continue crawling through the molasses.

the only improvements any class needs (such as mccree) is less cooldowns!!!
it did not feel this long to wait 10 seconds in beta
the beta was like 5 seconds
the weekly brawl everyones cooldown is 3 seconds
3 seconds is the best ever for anyone i have seen so much action in weekly brawl everyone loves it

yet in quickplay most people are wondering around aimlessly and hiding behind walls because their abilities are on cooldown
i have seen more people running away from each other in quickplay including me running from people than fighting in quickplay than weekly brawl or beta
for us to be forced to run away from everything is a bad game design

no one likes dying because their 5 seconds away from using an ability that's on cooldown
or even the person killing them could of killed them sooner if they didn't have to wait so long

Gonna disagree with you as well, the Meka dies incredibly fast and while you might think being ejected and allowed to run around on foot makes her "survivable" it doesn't work well against better players. I cant tell you the amount of times I've ejected into a flashbang or Reinharts Ult, Reapers Ult or simply widow bodyshot. It's predictable you get a decent amount of time to prepare for it as the Meka flails about before ejecting her as well.

Even against unskilled players that DONT kill the D.Va player right away her kit is non existent in pilot mode. Firing a gun with decent DPS but some of the slowest bullets I've ever seen in an FPS. With the lowest HP total a character has in Overwatch.

I'd also like to point out that D.Vas Meka physical size as well as the horrid placement and large size of her crit box, coupled with her crawling pace as she fires ALSO detract massively from any sense of "hard to kill"
I'd like to take a moment to quote this guy from another thread because I thought he made a good point.

05/31/2016 10:15 AMPosted by Geohound
It takes D.va way too long to actually do her job, when her kit forces her to be quick about her decisions and kills. The design just doesn't add up and is full of contradictions.

D.va does the most damage (theoretically if you can hit every single pellet with every single shot) up close - D.va is at her most vulnerable up close.

D.va is designed to jump in on an enemy by surprise with her jets. D.va moves at a crawl once firing, leaving all but the nearly dead enemies to run away and start a chase or destroy your mech despite being surprised.

It doesn't make sense. D.va is, effectively, punished for doing exactly what she appears to be designed for.
Would it be too odd to give her some abilities while she's out of her mech?
Otherwise I'm not sure there's much else to do but decrease the mobility penalty while the mech is firing.
I think she may need a little help in the damage department imo.

Whenever I'm playing Symmetra, I never fear just walking up to D.Va and holding down left click to basically destroy at least half her health and then reload and finish her off as she gets out of her mech or the smart ones rocket boost away.

If SYMMETRA (someone who would rather not just walk up to someone to try and kill them) can walk up to her no problem, then her damage may need a little help.
05/26/2016 06:53 AMPosted by Kipster
I find her effective range is about the same as Reaper's: IE point blank. Use her omnom-matrix & charge to get into someone's face then keep firing because you don't need to reload ^^

The problem I've had is, it often seems like people can just easily run away and there's nothing you can do about it, if they see you coming at all. Someone like winston, if I jump on a widow she's dead dead dead, but D.Va, almost every character can just run or go around a corner and you can't follow them and continue to hurt them.