Is there a reason D.Va's damage is so low?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
05/31/2016 11:29 AMPosted by then00b
Would it be too odd to give her some abilities while she's out of her mech?
Otherwise I'm not sure there's much else to do but decrease the mobility penalty while the mech is firing.

This, being out of her mech is half of how you play her. I wish/hope they increase her mobility. She should be able to get out of danger faster, leaving the player the ability to get on a mech>bomb>hanna>mech roll.
I think there is some room to tweak things with D.VA.

Although I agree that she shouldn't be that easy to kill off. The mobility of the mech to get in and out of situations gives some decent survivability. ALl the more so since she can additionally run away out of the mech. Like Winston if you stand around in the same place too long, you'll kind of melt.

I think she's still a pretty effective character at her role. Though I wouldn't mind some changes. Considering how long she is out of her mech an ability or two wouldn't hurt. Maybe a slight increase to her mech's damage. Not huge, but enough to make her more dangerous up close.
05/31/2016 10:56 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman
D.Va's damage is definitely on the lower side, much like Winstons. They are this way for a similar reason: They are both very mobile and hard to kill. Every character in the game has strengths and weaknesses, its part of what makes the teamplay work well.

That said, I do think the is some room for some D.Va improvements, but these are unlikely to take the shape of increasing her damage output significantly.

Hard to kill??!??!??! what D-VA are you playing? I want yours. I get one shotted on a regular basis. Genji for example can take my Meka in two hits and then finish me in one. Parts of your game sir are broken as hell many many OP heroes many, but the cool ones easy to take down. Well D-VA is cool to me.
05/31/2016 11:43 AMPosted by Darkmecha
D.Va's damage is definitely on the lower side, much like Winstons. They are this way for a similar reason: They are both very mobile and hard to kill. Every character in the game has strengths and weaknesses, its part of what makes the teamplay work well.

That said, I do think the is some room for some D.Va improvements, but these are unlikely to take the shape of increasing her damage output significantly.

Hard to kill??!??!??! what D-VA are you playing? I want yours. I get one shotted on a regular basis. Genji for example can take my Meka in two hits and then finish me in one. Parts of your game sir are broken as hell many many OP heroes many, but the cool ones easy to take down. Well D-VA is cool to me.

Hyperbole is not going to help your cause. Nothing Genji can do can destroy D.Va's mech that fast, even if every shuriken hits the critbox.
I really like Dva. But I hate the charged ult to disappear when i die.
With her hit-box mass and her relativity low damage output, D.Va is not much of a threat. Winston or Zarya fill her roll better in almost every way from what I have seen. In the competitive games I have seen she rides the bench.

How is she hard to kill? You should go back and look at her critbox again because that statement is anything but true. She takes so much damage just by aiming at center mass, which isn't hard to do since she's so HUGE, and her critbox is directly in the middle which means pretty much every shot fired at her does double damage.

There is no reason for her guns to slow her down considering how little damage she does. If anything just add in a clip to balance it out if you're worried it might unbalance her.

I mean all you really need to do with her is lower her critbox size, add in a clip to her weapon and remove the mobility debuff when firing and she would be improved to actually be a tank.

Remember she's suppose to be a TANK and it's very hard to do that when she can be killed by sneezing at her. Something is really wrong when she does more damage outside of her mech than in it
I dont even know how one can enjoy playing as DVA. Damage low, movement speed low (while firing).
I honestly think the only changes she needs are
1. Crit spot moved to her back
2. slight Increase her bullets range before damage drop off
3. Remove the giant [!] when she uses her ultimate the giant short circuiting mech is enough
D.Va don't need more damage. That will make her too OP with her mobility.
What she needs is a better CD on the the Defense Matrix so that she can actually be a GOOD tank. Right now she is more of a semi tank with no damage.
Yes she gets taken down quickly if she is fighting multiple targets, unlike Winston/Reinhardt because of their barriers. When I say she is difficult to kill its speaking from a smaller skirmish standpoint, which she can usually set up due to her Flight ability.

There was a time, when she was first implemented, where she had more damage than she does now. The way that played out is that she would fly into someone's face, destroy them, and fly away. There was little that person could do because her mobility.

As I said I think she can use some help in other areas, but I don't have anything concrete yet. The goal is that she should be a viable aggressive initiation tank, much like Winston can be right now, rather than some sort of beefy flying assassin. So any changes will likely be helping her in that direction.

I think D.Va's damage output is fine for being a Tank class character. Same with her being slowed while attacking and her low effective range of <15 meters.

Flat-out get rid of her critical hitbox and she'll be a great tank. (I don't think moving it to the back will work that well with her lowered mobility when firing.)

Without a critical hitbox, she can fulfill a role as tanking and drawing attention away from her team, and still retain her weaknesses of low damage, short range, and mobility when firing. She is too fragile to effectively tank right now.

05/31/2016 11:32 AMPosted by OSUNightfall

The problem I've had is, it often seems like people can just easily run away and there's nothing you can do about it, if they see you coming at all. Someone like winston, if I jump on a widow she's dead dead dead, but D.Va, almost every character can just run or go around a corner and you can't follow them and continue to hurt them.

This morning in Arcade mode I tried to hunt down and chase a Widowmaker. The widow kept grappling away and running and I was unable to finish her off even with my boost also on short cooldown.

Winston does what D.Va does better, though, since she's practically rooted into place when facing opponents so is prone to easy headshots. D.Va needs something to better set her apart!

I think it would be interesting to have her fire-rate increase with sustained fire. This would make her a threat that can rain down effective suppressing fire to enemy teams but would keep her burst dps reasonably low, making her more about covering allies than hunting squishy characters like Winston does. Maybe bolster the damage she does when colliding with an enemy while boosted, too...

Consider shrinking her critbox too, her head is too big to be at center mass!
05/31/2016 11:51 AMPosted by SPIRIT
I dont even know how one can enjoy playing as DVA. Damage low, movement speed low (while firing).

It's all about the mobility and ability to get rid of some of the more troublesome threats to a push (snipers and turrets). Can get above and behind the opponents and be a real in the rear. Up to the point where you drop an ult from above and they don't see it until they have too little time to scatter.

The movement speed while firing isn't even an issue, you aren't traversing the map firing the whole time.
05/31/2016 11:55 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman
Yes she gets taken down quickly if she is fighting multiple targets, unlike Winston/Reinhardt because of their barriers. When I say she is difficult to kill its speaking from a smaller skirmish standpoint, which she can usually set up due to her Flight ability.

There was a time, when she was first implemented, where she had more damage than she does now. The way that played out is that she would fly into someone's face, destroy them, and fly away. There was little that person could do because her mobility.

As I said I think she can use some help in other areas, but I don't have anything concrete yet. The goal is that she should be a viable aggressive initiation tank, much like Winston can be right now, rather than some sort of beefy flying assassin. So any changes will likely be helping her in that direction.

Tmw you're doing just fine and then a tank emerges from behind a waist high bush and you realize you've been outwitted by a tactical genius.
My main 5 annoyance with playing D.Va:

-Her Defense matrix is astoundingly short duration with a comparably long cooldown for something at only works as a cone in front of you.

-Shooting cancels her boost, as opposed to having her boost prevent you from shooting. Would be nice to have that as a QOL toggle in the character specific controls. But really, I don't see why there's a balance reason she can't do both in the first place.

-She's pretty loud for a low damage hero.

-Her guns don't have a lot of visceral feedback, regardless of range, it feels like they're airsoft rounds plinking off enemies. That's an art/sound thing. But...

-They really could stand to have their optimal range extended outward a bit. They do plink. This is not a war machine I can see being of any use to fighting robots.
really i think D.va only needs 2 changes, increase her mobility while firing, i think she only moved at 25% speed right now? so maybe allow her to move at 50-75% speed.

and reduce the size of the crit spot on the Meka.
05/31/2016 11:55 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman

Then Why list her as TANK" like Reinhardt and Winston etc? Just change her into another role then. If she is only a tank that can be used in small skirmishes, she is basically useless in some maps.
Only way I see making her a viable tank is buffing the defense matrix, either shorter cd or longer duration, or both. The tiny space it affects makes it significantly worse than both Reinhardt and Winston's shields. Winston makes up for his long cd with the fact that he can keep attacking while the shield is active and that it's a very large bubble.
D.Va don't need more damage. That will make her too OP with her mobility.
What she needs is a better CD or longer duration on the the Defense Matrix so that she can actually be a GOOD tank. Her mobility while shooting should be buffed too(only a little bit). Right now she is more of a semi tank with no damage.