What if Overwatch had a Spawning mechanic like Starcraft's?

General Discussion
I'm referring to the feature in Starcraft where Legacy of the Void owners for example can create a party with friends that don't own the expansion and give them temporary access to LotV's units and features in multiplayer.

I'm thinking that two or three person parties in a similar scenario for Overwatch could result in additional purchases if the host decides that they are finished for the night.
The key difference here is that the SCII "Starter Edition" is free to play for most of multiplayer, while Overwatch doesn't have a free edition. The mechanics of making it work would have to be completely different.
So... you want Blizzard to let your friends play for free?
Someone in a corporate office just fell out of his chair laughing.

It works for Starcraft because those friends in the party need to at have the basic game, but no the expansion. There are no expansions for overwatch that will lock out any portion of the playerbase, so it will most likely be a no go.

I would enjoy letting friends that don't have this game temporarily play for free, but I just don't think they'll ever even consider that.
"Spawn" versions of Blizzard games used to be a thing, back in the days of Diablo & Starcraft (maybe even Warcraft 2 I think) in the 90's, where you'd use the retail disc to install effectively a 'demo' version of the game on a friend's system to help convince them to buy the full game and continue playing it.
06/01/2016 01:10 PMPosted by BlazedGunner
So... you want Blizzard to let your friends play for free?
Someone in a corporate office just fell out of his chair laughing.

It works for Starcraft because those friends in the party need to at have the basic game, but no the expansion. There are no expansions for overwatch that will lock out any portion of the playerbase, so it will most likely be a no go.

I would enjoy letting friends that don't have this game temporarily play for free, but I just don't think they'll ever even consider that.

Pretty much, yeah!

I don't know how else to provide the demo experience for multiplayer-only games. You certainly can't limit the hero selection for a "free" edition of the game because of the constant need for hero switching, but maybe you could limit maps or gametypes. Maybe you make it so the free edition can only participate in the tweaked Weekly Brawl ruleset.

It's a thought. I reserve the right to be wrong.