Only one Highlight at time?

General Discussion
Why we can have only one highlight? I can see only the last one.. why we can't archive all the highlights and at least delete what we want to trash?
It lets me have up to five at a time, but when you close the game they go away.
The game will temporarily archive 5 highlights from your last play session. Playing only one game will only result in one highlight. Highlights are not currently saved if you close the game and come back. Our hope (and what we're working toward) is to allow players to save highlights or export them to a video format someday.
05/31/2016 08:24 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
The game will temporarily archive 5 highlights from your last play session. Playing only one game will only result in one highlight. Highlights are not currently saved if you close the game and come back. Our hope (and what we're working toward) is to allow players to save highlights or export them to a video format someday.

That would be awesome, Jeff!

I had an extremely epic Mercy Play of the Game in Anubis and it would have been nice to keep that one around for all time.

Reaper Death Blossomed my team on point B in Anubis while I was hiding in the little room behind the capture point. He went back there to reload/heal after and didn't see lil ol' Mercy hiding there as well. I killed him with a few Blaster shots to the face and then rezzed my three dead teammates.

At least I saved a few screen shots of it!
that would be awesome, i know sometimes i get a really good highlight or PotG and then i lose it 5 games later and it kinda bums me out.

also a side note, if you got PotG does it actually differentiate between that and a Highlight of the game for you specifically when viewed on the highlights page?
05/31/2016 08:40 AMPosted by nemestrinus
that would be awesome, i know sometimes i get a really good highlight or PotG and then i lose it 5 games later and it kinda bums me out.

also a side note, if you got PotG does it actually differentiate between that and a Highlight of the game for you specifically when viewed on the highlights page?

Yes, it absolutely does! I'll post a screencap of my Anubis one. I went into the training area and wrote three lines in chat to cover up all the GG spam after the game.

http://i.imgur.com/DbEsEvi.jpg

P.S. Waves at Nemistrinus! (I am Melaroi from WoW GD =D)
05/31/2016 08:43 AMPosted by Mofojar

hah, always nice to see people from the other forums (although this forum is taking a bit getting used to with some things i'm used to on the WoW forums not working here) but it's also nice to see i'm somewhat noticeable from my posts over there

edit: nice a mercy PotG, i've gotten one of those but it was in one of those matches where my team facerolled the enemy team so it just ended up being be reviving 2 people and putting some potshots into a Roadhog.
05/31/2016 08:56 AMPosted by nemestrinus
05/31/2016 08:43 AMPosted by Mofojar

hah, always nice to see people from the other forums (although this forum is taking a bit getting used to with some things i'm used to on the WoW forums not working here) but it's also nice to see i'm somewhat noticeable from my posts over there

edit: nice a mercy PotG, i've gotten one of those but it was in one of those matches where my team facerolled the enemy team so it just ended up being be reviving 2 people and putting some potshots into a Roadhog.

There are a few of us over here. You can usually tell a person who frequents battle.net forums by the post count. I just remember you because before these forums opened we chatted about playing as Mercy in the beta. I just got sick of the same four-five people acting like hall monitors over there and I like talking Overwatch.

Edit: I also got a PotG for rezzing a single person and killing somebody with my Blaster in a horrible loss in Hollywood. The match was a blowout. Not my finest moment.
Our hope (and what we're working toward) is to allow players to save highlights or export them to a video format someday.

This would be super awesome, I really want to share some of them with my friends because for some reason I get a lot of really funny plays/highlights by complete accident.

PLEEEEEASE give us this!

And hell, players stuffing youtube full of OW highlights is free advertising.

My main issue is that it displays the 5 highlights it considers to be the 'best' from the current session, instead of the 5 latest ones. So if you got a great play that you really want to record, but its not shown in there, you're SOL.

After a whole night of playing, I check my highlights and there's 5 High Noons. But I want to record my amazing sneaky Pharah ult from the last game! If I found one of those High Noons highlight worthy, I probably would've recorded them a long time ago.
05/31/2016 09:45 AMPosted by Riv
My main issue is that it displays the 5 highlights it considers to be the 'best' from the current session, instead of the 5 latest ones. So if you got a great play that you really want to record, but its not shown in there, you're SOL.

After a whole night of playing, I check my highlights and there's 5 High Noons. But I want to record my amazing sneaky Pharah ult from the last game! If I found one of those High Noons highlight worthy, I probably would've recorded them a long time ago.
theres a video posted on the forums here that sorta shows how they would go about deciding the PotG. and from what i can tell, the Highlights are just what would have been shown as PotG for that match if you were the one chosen.

it basically said that the game searches for sets of around 20 seconds where there is a spike in the score a single player has gained. whether that score be from sniping from a far distance and just doing damage without getting a kill or using an ultimate and getting a lot of kills in a single moment.

and yeah that does kinda suck that if you did a cool play, that may have been longer than 20 seconds or so, then it doesn't really get counted. and that's why a lot of the time there are McCree ults or Basion turret kills. since those don't last very long and happen fairly instantly. also sucks that if you did a cool play but then maybe got the generic "3-6 kills in a single ultimate" play that the generic ultimate kill would be the one recorded. i wish that there could be multiple highlights per game.
05/31/2016 10:32 AMPosted by nemestrinus
05/31/2016 09:45 AMPosted by Riv

theres a video posted on the forums here that sorta shows how they would go about deciding the PotG. and from what i can tell, the Highlights are just what would have been shown as PotG for that match if you were the one chosen.

it basically said that the game searches for sets of around 20 seconds where there is a spike in the score a single player has gained. whether that score be from sniping from a far distance and just doing damage without getting a kill or using an ultimate and getting a lot of kills in a single moment.

and yeah that does kinda suck that if you did a cool play, that may have been longer than 20 seconds or so, then it doesn't really get counted. and that's why a lot of the time there are McCree ults or Basion turret kills. since those don't last very long and happen fairly instantly. also sucks that if you did a cool play but then maybe got the generic "3-6 kills in a single ultimate" play that the generic ultimate kill would be the one recorded. i wish that there could be multiple highlights per game.

You completely misread my post. I know how they're selected within each match, my point is that instead of showing highlights from the last 5 games, it shows the 5 'best' highlights out of the entire session.

Even worse, it all disappears when the game crashes, but that's something they're looking to address.
I use a screen recording program called XSplit for streaming. It also has a local record setting so you can record video. I just record the highlight before I quit in order to save them.

It saves them in MP4 format for use later, which is nice. I can also use a conversation tool to make them into gifs, like this:
http://i.imgur.com/6gocbIi.gif
I wish I had a replay file of my PotG with Reinhardt in beta... that play was beyond glorious.
05/31/2016 08:35 AMPosted by Mofojar

That would be awesome, Jeff!

I had an extremely epic Mercy Play of the Game in Anubis and it would have been nice to keep that one around for all time.

Reaper Death Blossomed my team on point B in Anubis while I was hiding in the little room behind the capture point. He went back there to reload/heal after and didn't see lil ol' Mercy hiding there as well. I killed him with a few Blaster shots to the face and then rezzed my three dead teammates.

At least I saved a few screen shots of it!

You can use program such as Fraps or forge.gg to keep those awesome PotG, is what I have been doing since beta.
I won't lie, I was a little surprised you couldn't automatically upload/export highlights when I started playing. As cliche as it might sound, I wanted to post it to social media and show off mad healing skillz. Gotta compete with the flood of Destiny videos my friends post up these days and get them on the bandwagon.

I was surprised that in this day and age sharing isn't built in.

Especially since highlights end in the overwatch logo. If I have to play the game to watch these, I don't need the logo at the end??
This is an indicator that sharing was already in the game but scrapped for some reason.

It would be nice to have it back.
I would rather get this in top priority than seeing Bastion nerf ...

Or to increase the amount of highlight stocked to 10 instead of 5 ...