Just Remove McCree

General Discussion
I'd rather they just straight up remove him instead of nerf him. There's no point in keeping a hero around who will be functionally useless. First he has no damage drop off, so people moan about how good he is at long range. They nerf him, McCree players adapt, and people start moaning about how good he is at short range. Just cut him so all the people who want to zip around the map solo can do so already.
These McCree threads are getting ridiculous. Most of those are no-skills kids who don't know how to adapt and play against certain heroes. I doubt Blizzard is that stupid to listen to them and kill a character that's badly needed against some of the opponents.
He can tear a tank in two with Flash-Fanhammer-Roll-Fanhammer. He's supposed to be a good counter to Tracer and Genji. And he should remain so post-nerf.

The problem with him right now is he's also a great counter to Reinhardt, Zarya, DVa, Roadhog, Lucio, Mercy, Zenyatta, Symmetra, Reaper, Soldier, Bastion, Torbjorn, Mei, Junkrat, Hanzo, Pharah and Widow. (Ok, yes that's hyperbolic but you get the idea).

He just needs to lose the ability to shred a Tank, but remain a Tracer's worst nightmare. Just my opinion, I'd like his combo to be nerfed but his long range prospects to be buffed. Making him less of an ambusher and more of a jack of all trades (somewhere in between Soldier and Reaper's roles, inferior at both in prolonged fights at least, but able to do both and finish people quickly if skilled enough with his aim).

It's not that people want McCree nerfed into oblivion. They just don't want him to be the counter to tanks, and thus an essential pick.
There is damage falloff on McRee. It was added way back in closed beta. If you hate vs McRee then try Widowmaker and light him up bright red for your whole team while staying at a safe distance.
If we remove every characters ability to shred a tank, then we are going to have a tank meta. There are few counters to tanks. We can't lose one of the best ones.
He can tear a tank in two with Flash-Fanhammer-Roll-Fanhammer. He's supposed to be a good counter to Tracer and Genji. And he should remain so post-nerf.

The problem with him right now is he's also a great counter to Reinhardt, Zarya, DVa, Roadhog, Lucio, Mercy, Zenyatta, Symmetra, Reaper, Soldier, Bastion, Torbjorn, Mei, Junkrat, Hanzo, Pharah and Widow. (Ok, yes that's hyperbolic but you get the idea).

He just needs to lose the ability to shred a Tank, but remain a Tracer's worst nightmare. Just my opinion, but I'd like his combo to be nerfed but his long range prospects to be buffed. Making him more of a jack of all trades (somewhere in between Soldier and Reaper's roles).

It's not that people want McCree nerfed into oblivion. They just don't want him to be the counter to tanks, and thus an essential pick.

That would buff my playstyle with him a lot! I tend to play him mid to maximum falloff range and go for precision single shot shooting and only use flashbang cheese when I have to or I need to drop a Rein's shield or something.
Exactly, I doubt Blizzard will follow this stupid logic of some of the haters here. Why not nerf Torb's turrets then or remove Bastion damage? Or Mei? Just play the game...
06/01/2016 06:14 AMPosted by ash55

He just needs to lose the ability to shred a Tank, but remain a Tracer's worst nightmare. Just my opinion, I'd like his combo to be nerfed but his long range prospects to be buffed. Making him less of an ambusher and more of a jack of all trades (somewhere in between Soldier and Reaper's roles, inferior at both in prolonged fights at least, but able to do both and finish people quickly if skilled enough with his aim).

I agree with this. Don't nerf McCree that can kill those with low hp. However, McCree shouldn't be a tank killer.

One of these should be implemented imo:
1. his fan of hammer should have a cooldown like Lucio's alt fire.
2. Make flash bang blind, NOT stun
3. Can't reload while rolling.
The real issue is that McCree has very little weaknesses compared to other heroes in similar roles with glaring weaknesses. There is almost no reason to pick heroes like Soldier of Reaper over McCree when McCree can perform so much better in the same role. McCree has the best 1v1 dueling mechanics in the game bar none to the point where the only real counter play to winning a duel against McCree is to not duel him to start with.

His mechanics are far too rewarding for the amount of skill/effort required to pull them off. His mechanics are just not fun to play against at all.
I've played this game for a while and have watched a lot of regular games and competitive ones. I've held my tongue on everything until I felt I really understood maps, the characters, their roles, and their counters. McCree is probably the ONLY character I would say needs a nerf. EDIT: I openly say this now after watching a competitive tourney and seeing teams constantly having two McCrees and they would have to mirror comp to combat it. If that doesn't scream OP then I don't know what would.

I don't want him to get the nerf bat too hard, but as many have pointed out he's a counter against too many right now.

Honestly, I just have a problem with his flash-bang mechanic. I don't even care that it stuns, but I HATE its application. He can throw it in any general direction near you and it goes off and does an AOE stun. I would rather it take a little skill and you have to land the hit on the character for it to stun. I'd rather it not be an AOE either. If your mercy is trying to be protected by staying close to her teammate, oh no it's McCree and his stupid flash-bang AOE...sorry dude we were both stunned and you were insta dead. Couldn't do a thing about it even though we were using good teamwork to try and protect you.

I loathe McCree. He's the only character I've ever had an issue with as far as balance.
No. Just stop. These types of threads aren't productive. Not trying to be mean or rude.

All this nerf this, nerf that.. Remove him, remove her.. has to stop.

Nothing personal op.
Hero's that are good counters to McCree are Genji and Solder 76, I've also seen Lucio and Mei give McCree a hard time on numerous occasions.

You need 2 fan fires to take down any tank, *if* you land them both.

IDK what the right answer is, but be careful what you shout for, because once it's done, its done.. and it may result in a larger more frustrating issue than we currently have. Which is, imho, just a delta in skill level and team make up... I like playing Mercy, and McCree chews her up like a Lay's potato chip every time, i don't complain, it just is what it is. If you see McCree, you can either git gud at playing Genji or Solder 76 or find a friend that is, or stop playing... the choice is yours.
This op is acting like a child who can't get what they want.
He might be OP 1vs1...but to get so salty about it to want to remove him?

C'mon.

He's an AWESOME character, he's just unbalanced right now. They'll fix it.

But your big boy pants on and deal with it until then.
06/01/2016 07:02 AMPosted by AVRL
The real issue is that McCree has very little weaknesses compared to other heroes in similar roles with glaring weaknesses. There is almost no reason to pick heroes like Soldier of Reaper over McCree when McCree can perform so much better in the same role. McCree has the best 1v1 dueling mechanics in the game bar none to the point where the only real counter play to winning a duel against McCree is to not duel him to start with.

His mechanics are far too rewarding for the amount of skill/effort required to pull them off. His mechanics are just not fun to play against at all.

there in lies the problem. the fact that noobs like you are trying to play this game solo like CoD. this is a team game and should be balanced as such.

i have never had any difficulty dealing with mccree.
06/01/2016 07:31 AMPosted by RedwoodLynx
So as far as I can tell, the central argument everyone makes about McCree is "Ugh, I hate McCree. It's not fair that he's the number one duelist at close range. He shouldn't be able to 1v1 anyone and win like that."

Ok! Given that line of logic, I demand that Widowmaker also be nerfed into oblivion. She is the number one duelist at long range. Whenever I see her sitting across an open lane, I know I'm about to die to an long range instant headshot, and no matter what I do I can't fight her at long range. That's so OP! That's so unfair!

...Says no one, because everyone is mentally used to the idea of a sniper. They get it- you don't get in a long range gunfight with the sniper. Why is it so hard to understand not to get into a close range gunfight with the ambusher? That's McCree's role, that's exactly what he's designed to do; sulk around in a side lane, draw people into close quarters, and wreck em. They both have one purpose; to dominate one specific type of 1v1 match up (and even then, not fully dominate it; Hanzo can go toe to toe at range with Widow, as can Reaper vs McCree). The counter to Widow is to get in close and ambush her; the counter to McCree is to back up and pelt him from afar. A good Pharah, Junkrat, Genji, Widow, Hanzo, or Zenyatta will wreck McCree every single time if they don't run at him like a !@#$%^- idiot.

Ultimately it's not gonna matter as they're gonna nerf him anyway, it's just so mind boggling that people can't seem to handle having a close range duelist in their game. The Pyro and the Spy filled a very similar role in TF2, and no-one complained about turning a corner and getting wrecked in a small space by them.
Think it's all gonna come down to what they choose to do with his flashbang, I think turning it into just a blind would be fine, as then you don't loose control of your character. (CC I think should only be allowed for ults or high risk maneuvers anyway) Could also increase the spread for fan the hammer so that against smaller characters, it has a better chance of missing unless your touching the guys.

Really they just need to make his precision play more rewarding than his Spray and Pray.
I've thought about the complaints, and a simple solution is to put a delay on the flashbang. Everything else about the character is fine imo.
Almost every competitive team runs a mcree or two, he's just that good. Some people are suggesting some extreme nerfs, but Blizz should start small. His Fan the hammer should get a cd of 8s + reduce clip from 6 to 5.
06/01/2016 09:07 AMPosted by MrShakeNBake
Almost every competitive team runs a mcree or two, he's just that good. Some people are suggesting some extreme nerfs, but Blizz should start small. His Fan the hammer should get a cd of 8s + reduce clip from 6 to 5.

lmao like thats a small nerf. mccree also doesn't even have a movement ability on par with the other offensive characters. thats because it provides an instant reload. put fan the hammer on cooldown and that makes his movement reload pointless. as a movement skill it sucks. putting fan the hammer on cooldown requires a major rework of the character. its not a small tweak.