An Autistic's View Of Symmetra's Characterization

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
05/27/2016 10:04 AMPosted by Macross
I think youre overthinking this a tad too much.
Another sign of being autistic.
05/27/2016 10:12 AMPosted by Masterweaver

Another thing us autistics do. Alongside correcting people's grammar--it's "you're" with an apostrophe.

In all seriousness, a number of us do tend to overthink things. It's generally easier to work things out in our own head where we can control everything being 'said' then to try to engage in conversation with people who just... have so much going on whenever they talk.

Yeah dude nice.
Nobody really cares about your social agenda, go and correct people's grammar in League of Legends.
Symmetra is more akin to someone with obsessive-compulsive disorder than ASD. Symmetra clearly is bothered/obsessed with things being out of order. In the comic, she's annoyed by the crooked painting to the point where that annoyance actively prevents her from engaging in the conversation. In the game, her lines and various animations show an almost obsessive thought pattern with order and symmetry.

ASD might share similar orderly traits as those with OCD but they rarely share the same obsessive reasonings, they simply act. Symmetra is made anxious by disorder and that anxiety is the reason she acts. That makes her OCD not autistic.
You have me over here thinking I might be autistic. Every single thing you said is something I identify with on some level. Eye contact, small talk, compliments; one after another you listed things I have combated my entire life.
06/03/2016 12:53 PMPosted by Actua
05/27/2016 10:44 AMPosted by SpaghettiWap
This game tries to make everyone feel good. Case and point: Zarya is just to appease feminists

Symmetra is not autistic. No way in hell. If they really want to make her seem like someone with autism then they need to go further than just "oh by the way she's autistic."

The hell you going on about. Zarya is a badass chick. Not because I'm a feminist, because the character is awesome.

"I can lift more than you"

She's a chick? Looks like a man to me.
06/03/2016 08:55 PMPosted by Aetherious
This game tries to make everyone feel good. Case and point: Zarya is just to appease feminists

Symmetra is not autistic. No way in hell. If they really want to make her seem like someone with autism then they need to go further than just "oh by the way she's autistic."

If any hero in this game is autistic, it would be Torbjorn. I mean, have you seen his play of the games?
Or Bastion.
The first two responses in this thread were perfect.
I would really like to have symmetra represented as autistic. I'm not on the autistic spectrum but my brother who I am very close to is a high functioning autistic, so I think get autism a lot more than most who don't have autism, and should be represented as more that what jackwads on the internet use as an insult. The list of things she could do did remind me of my brother at times. I also think having an autistic character fits with Blizzard's idea of representing a lot of different groups.

Well that is what this post is saying is putting in little details to suggest she's autistic
I actually really like this idea, it would give her a lot more personality than just "muh order". Her personality right now is just too plain to be intereting and likeable for me.

Even one line of dialogue or gesture in which she seems a human and not an emotionless robot would be great.
06/09/2016 12:13 AMPosted by Thrall
Yeah dude nice.
Nobody really cares about your social agenda, go and correct people's grammar in League of Legends.

His "social agenda"?

Wtf are you talking about you putz?
tl;dr

you read something on the net
it's not canon

there, fixed
06/09/2016 01:09 AMPosted by FurryFrix
Symmetra is more akin to someone with obsessive-compulsive disorder than ASD. Symmetra clearly is bothered/obsessed with things being out of order. In the comic, she's annoyed by the crooked painting to the point where that annoyance actively prevents her from engaging in the conversation. In the game, her lines and various animations show an almost obsessive thought pattern with order and symmetry.

ASD might share similar orderly traits as those with OCD but they rarely share the same obsessive reasonings, they simply act. Symmetra is made anxious by disorder and that anxiety is the reason she acts. That makes her OCD not autistic.

Yep.

A lot of behavioral and cognitive disorders share similar symptoms. It's not a surprise. Generalized Anxiety Disorder shares a lot of symptoms Depression, Depression shares a lot of symptoms with Anorexia and Bulimia, Anorexia and Bulimia share a lot of symptoms with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), OCD shares a lot of symptoms with Autism, etc etc.

The brain is really complicated. Symmetra's "symptoms" or behaviors show signs of more than one neurological disorder. It's quite possible, though, that she actually has no disorder.

Look at Symmetra's back story and lore. She was taken from her family at a young age and forced to do the Vishkar corporation's work for them. She was probably trained and conditioned to only accept the best, most orderly and neat work possible. Keep in mind as a child, her whole life was probably based around doing work for this corporation. She has been conditioned in more ways than one to only accept perfection.

Now, given her back story, it's probable that Symmetra can't handle disorder because it was drilled into her that she should never tolerate it from a young age.

------

As far as Symmetra being someone with autism I really doubt it. She doesn't show many of the classic signs. She doesn't show any problem in terms of communication or being sociable, her speech is entirely normal, she shows no aversion to situations that would harm her senses (people with autism can suffer from sensory overload), she reacts to physical stimulus entirely as expected, and more.

She only really "autistic" thing Symmetra does is her obsession with things being orderly and neat. Obsessive behavior is not unique to autism.

I actually really like this idea, it would give her a lot more personality than just "muh order". Her personality right now is just too plain to be intereting and likeable for me.

Read her comic. It's really good and shows a depth of character not previously seen. Symmetra is largely obsessed with order and doing well for the corporation she works for because she would break emotionally if she ever admitted to herself that she hurts innocent people.
05/27/2016 10:19 AMPosted by Nitemaredan

Another thing us autistics do.

I love the grammar game! Ought to be "we autistics".

:)

Actually, the period should be inside of the quotation - "we autistics."

annnnnndddddddd

WINNER!!

And that will be my only contribution to this thread and most likely the forums.
Ah intention fallacy. There are really good points brought up in this thread and it would be interesting if it is canon but it has yet to be confirmed. I think she is a great character whether she is or not : )

Symmetra being called autistic while demonstrating no signs of autism that I can recognize is more... annoying then offensive to me. I don't use my autism to excuse my actions, but I have heard of plenty of people who are jerks and justify it by saying "I'm autistic!" even if they really aren't. Symmetra does not seem to do that--she doesn't let autism define her--but at the same time I would have thought it would influence her to some degree.

i don't see why people would use that as an excuse, a quick google search of the symptoms will pretty much prove that the guy is nothing but an !@#$, autistic or not...

anyway, the whole crowd thing in the comic is the only reason i would suspect that she is autistic, but then again you wouldn't need to be autistic to hate going through a crowd of people who seem to be against your beliefs

Another thing us autistics do. Alongside correcting people's grammar--it's "you're" with an apostrophe.

In all seriousness, a number of us do tend to overthink things. It's generally easier to work things out in our own head where we can control everything being 'said' then to try to engage in conversation with people who just... have so much going on whenever they talk.

No it's called being an !@#$%^-
Remember

*!@#$%^s are universal

i don't see why people would use that as an excuse, a quick google search of the symptoms will pretty much prove that the guy is nothing but an !@#$, autistic or not...
anyway, the whole crowd thing in the comic is the only reason i would suspect that she is autistic, but then again you wouldn't need to be autistic to hate going through a crowd of people who seem to be against your beliefs

i uhh... i don't see why i was disliked there... hmm...
someone care to explain why someone would dislike this?

EDIT: ahh, just seems like someone is disliking every post with the word autistic, that's probably the case, some people are weird...