No balance patches since release ?

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
This game haven't been balanced by patches since his release ?

Just a simple question, I'm used to see every 1-2 weeks patches on online games, is Blizzard doing a patch every month or something ?
Yeah, balance patches every 1-2 weeks for competitive games is not very common at all. Plus this is Blizzard and they are notoriously patient when it comes to releasing the patches. The first patch since it is only recently released might arrive sooner than the usual. But do not expect it very often. Not even every other month.
I hope patches come 1 per month, I like frequent patching
Balance patches every week would be awful for a competitive game, the meta would never settle down, by the time you practise and get your head around something it would be changing again. Especially once competitive mode is added to the game, I can't imagine them making major balance changes during a season unless it's something seriously game breaking or some exploit that needs urgent attention.
Yeah, balance patches every 1-2 weeks for competitive games is not very common at all. Plus this is Blizzard and they are notoriously lazy when it comes to releasing the patches. The first patch since it is only recently released might arrive sooner than the usual. But do not expect it very often. Not even every other month.

FTFY
They are focused hard on competitive mode, but have made posts about working on balance changes in the background, they are in the works.
06/12/2016 05:45 AMPosted by Khel
Balance patches every week would be awful for a competitive game, the meta would never settle down, by the time you practise and get your head around something it would be changing again. Especially once competitive mode is added to the game, I can't imagine them making major balance changes during a season unless it's something seriously game breaking or some exploit that needs urgent attention.

How would that be awful? I couldn't think of anything better. If there's no meta then there's composition diversity and the game never gets stale because every team runs the same cheesy, cookie cutter meta comp.
Let Blizzard do the analytics, Balance patches are not something you do in a instant, not with 21 heros in the fray.

But then patience these days is a rare thing...
06/12/2016 05:49 AMPosted by EventHorizon
How would that be awful? I couldn't think of anything better. If there's no meta then there's composition diversity and the game never gets stale because every team runs the same cheesy, cookie cutter meta comp.

It would be awful because that's not nearly enough time to get the data required to make changes of any sort. It would be full of knee jerk reactions, making plenty of mistakes when it came to balancing.

These things take time and lots of data.
06/12/2016 05:32 AMPosted by DMII

Just a simple question, I'm used to see every 1-2 weeks patches on online games, is Blizzard doing a patch every month or something ?

One day Soon™
No balance patch in 2-3 months actually, given closed beta.
06/12/2016 05:52 AMPosted by Nyxtron

It would be awful because that's not nearly enough time to get the data required to make changes of any sort. It would be full of knee jerk reactions, making plenty of mistakes when it came to balancing.

These things take time and lots of data.

Out of the millions of games played daily, I'm sure 3-4 weeks would yield sufficient data to determine what is broken/needs fixing. The game has been out less than a month and already there are glaring balance issues that Blizzard has acknowledged. I don't want this game to turn into another WoW scenario where balance patches are months apart, which leads to poor balancing and cheesy scripted play.

Theres always a meta. Certain characters will always be stronger in some situations, weaker in others, and certain compositions will be stronger/weaker against other comps. Yeah, with balance changes, there will be more diversity as more characters and more comps become viable, but theres always a meta. If anything the rock-paper-scissors nature of Overwatch ensures there will always be a meta.
Ok, ok.

But I think if Blizzard wants Overwatch to have a successfull Esport they gotta start to do more regular patches, for the moment there's no ranked gamemode so that doesnt matter but when it'll be released it will matter because you see, a competitive game without constant balance patches is never going to be fine.
06/13/2016 04:24 AMPosted by DMII
Ok, ok.

But I think if Blizzard wants Overwatch to have a successfull Esport they gotta start to do more regular patches, for the moment there's no ranked gamemode so that doesnt matter but when it'll be released it will matter because you see, a competitive game without constant balance patches is never going to be fine.

This game was purely made from Titans' resources. They didn't want to throw out what they invested in Titans' without any profit, so they turned it into Overwatch with $40 purchase to play quick-money-grab. I'm sure this game was gonna be abandoned by Blizzard, but seeing how we got 7 million players within a week, I seriously hope they will change their mind and actually work on this game
06/12/2016 05:37 AMPosted by Nilrem
Yeah, balance patches every 1-2 weeks for competitive games is not very common at all. Plus this is Blizzard and they are notoriously patient when it comes to releasing the patches. The first patch since it is only recently released might arrive sooner than the usual. But do not expect it very often. Not even every other month.

It is common. Every huge Esport game has regular patches. Here some games that does it: CS:GO, League Of Legends, Dota 2.

I don't need to give more games, because it is the biggests Esport games right now.

06/13/2016 04:29 AMPosted by Kayin
06/13/2016 04:24 AMPosted by DMII
Ok, ok.

This game was purely made from Titans' resources. They didn't want to throw out what they invested in Titans' without any profit, so they turned it into Overwatch with $40 purchase to play quick-money-grab. I'm sure this game was gonna be abandoned by Blizzard, but seeing how we got 7 million players within a week, I seriously hope they will change their mind and actually work on this game

Yeah I have the feeling that Blizzard doesnt really want to put ressource into Overwatch, to be honest I was shocked to see 0 patchs since the game release.
so when blizzard gonna nerf paladin and buff thief?
06/12/2016 05:32 AMPosted by DMII

Well, the game is sold "as is". Can't blame Blizzard for not prioritising patches for free. :(
We can't tell what their patching schedule is going to entirely be like for Overwatch. The first one is coming out this month to release ranked play and addressing some balance concerns they've seen in at least two heroes (they've only announced for McCree and D.Va). I think once ranked play becomes available to everyone we'll start seeing more hero adjustments after that.

Balance patches will either be the most frequent, or they'll be rolled into hero and map patches. You could probably look at the frequency of patches for MOBAs like League of Legends and Smite to get an idea of how often patches will occur.

I imagine a patch every 4-6 weeks would be the most likely. That gives time to see how hero interactions work for newer heroes and to check for anything that might be being abused during games in unintended ways (the hint at the focus on McCree's flashbang damage to tanks and shields being an example of this).
06/12/2016 05:37 AMPosted by Nilrem

It is common. Every huge Esport game has regular patches. Here some games that does it: CS:GO, League Of Legends, Dota 2.

Yes, but "regular" as in "every 2-3 months", not "every 1-2 weeks".