Loot boxes question for the devs

General Discussion
Since i pretty much got everything i need, if i keep the lootboxes i earn now and open them when new content is released, will i be able to get the new stuff from those boxes?
good question. id love to know the answer to this as well....
Wakey wakey mr Kaplan... :o i'm sitting on so many boxes and don't know if i should open them or wait for updates
It's random and there aren't marked series like in TF2. I highly doubt the old crates will be locked to old heroes. That being said, when they introduce someone new there's still less than a 1/22 chance of you getting something for them.
That's a fantastic question!

I think whether a loot boxes' contents are determined upon receiving it or opening it is the factor that would answer this. I'd lean towards the latter but it'd be cool to get confirmation.
I'd just keep opening them to stockpile coins, personally. If you keep opening boxes you'll get a chance at coins and earn them from duplicates. So you'll be able to buy anything new that comes out with the coins.
06/16/2016 12:19 PMPosted by AzK
Since i pretty much got everything i need, if i keep the lootboxes i earn now and open them when new content is released, will i be able to get the new stuff from those boxes?

No. Loot boxes items are "rolled" at the moment you earn the box. Whether you open it today or 3 years from now, those boxes contain the same items. So if we add new stuff to the ecosystem, you will only see it out of brand new boxes earned after the release of that new item.
Most of the time the contents of a random container are determined at item creation in my experience.
06/17/2016 08:13 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

No. Loot boxes items are "rolled" at the moment you earn the box. Whether you open it today or 3 years from now, those boxes contain the same items. So if we add new stuff to the ecosystem, you will only see it out of brand new boxes earned after the release of that new item.
Well that was a surprising answer.

My body is ready to open all boxes now. :)

In that case, I would like to request that if I open a box, but the queue tosses me into a match before the items are displayed, that it counts the box as "not opened yet", and I can open it again later. It's not like it's going to change the items or anything. It's always annoying not knowing what you got because you got put into a match.
Huh. That's good to know. Thanks for the answer there!
Jeff, is this mechanism the same for both earned and purchased boxes? If I buy 50 boxes now, they will all contain items available today whether I open them today or next year?
06/17/2016 08:17 AMPosted by Terotrous

In that case, I would like to request that if I open a box, but the queue tosses me into a match before the items are displayed, that it counts the box as "not opened yet", and I can open it again later. It's not like it's going to change the items or anything. It's always annoying not knowing what you got because you got put into a match.

Check the hero gallery. Any character that has "new" on their portrait is something you got from the box. Though of course I also don't see any harm in making your proposed change.
06/17/2016 08:17 AMPosted by Terotrous

You can already see your new acquisitions in your hero gallery. Or just wait until you aren't in a queue to open the box.
06/17/2016 08:19 AMPosted by Chimaera
Jeff, is this mechanism the same for both earned and purchased boxes? If I buy 50 boxes now, they will all contain items available today whether I open them today or next year?

Purchasing would be a form of "earning" them.
06/17/2016 08:15 AMPosted by Kuroboom

Well that was a surprising answer.

Hm, so they are pre-determined rather than initial random. I don't know what I think about that, with 200 boxes opened so far, does that mean the system had control over that I got 3 of the same legendary skin instead of something different? Maybe it's time to give 50% of the amount of duplicates if the randomness is pre-determined instead of dice rolled at the opening.

Without actually knowing how the system works, I can only assume it's not entirely random, because something else -potentially- has control over the results before it's had a chance to be opened.
06/17/2016 08:19 AMPosted by Chimaera

I don't think it'll make a difference. If it did, paying money for lootboxes would be seen as superior to earning them ingame.

06/17/2016 08:22 AMPosted by Nao
Without actually knowing how the system works, I can only assume it's not entirely random, because something else -potentially- has control over the results before it's had a chance to be opened.

Random isn't random. Sometimes you will see similar results because having an item appear in one loot box does not remove it from the item table before the next box is opened.