What settings and GPU do you use to get 144FPS?

Technical Support
1 2 3 5 Next
What is your GPU and at which settings do you use the game to achieve 144FPS?
I'm using a GTX980Ti with an Acer XG270HU set to 144Hz, so I just make sure it's set to 144Hz then set Overwatch to 2560x1440 (143)(*) and make sure V-Sync is turned on (double/triple buffering is optional).
Can anyone with cheaper GPUs post their settings and FPS?
Gtx 950 here, I use a mix of High / Ultra and average 150 Fps.
06/01/2016 03:59 PMPosted by Fury
Gtx 950 here, I use a mix of High / Ultra and average 150 Fps.

CPU? RAM? Overclocked?
I5 6400 with 8 gigs of ram. I got the Pc not long ago and have yet to add more ram. but it does really well on any games I have tried so far.

No overclock on the Cpu or Gpu just stock Asus Pc with a I5 / Gtx 950
06/01/2016 04:05 PMPosted by Fury
I5 6400 with 8 gigs of ram. I got the Pc not long ago and have yet to add more ram. but it does really well on any games I have tried so far.

No overclock on the Cpu or Gpu just stock Asus Pc with a I5 / Gtx 950

Are you sure you're running at 150FPS? I don't think that's possible with your setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kLNqVhLjdo
06/01/2016 03:02 PMPosted by rocco19

OP,

did you mixed up between refresh rate and frame rate?

did you mean 144 FPS in game or 144 Hz on gaming monitors?
No I'm using the in game performance stats that shows Fps / ping and all that, going by that I average 150 frame per second under most combat situations it rarely drops below that. That's on a 32 inch Led Tv.
06/01/2016 04:08 PMPosted by Pluvia
06/01/2016 03:02 PMPosted by rocco19

OP,

I was asking about how to achieve 140+ FPS in game?
These have worked well for me, while not making the game look like garbage (models still high etc):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsdshm_4T5c

~120-140 with a 980 on 1440p.
What is the point of 140 fps? Your eyes don't even notice it. I hope you are really meaning Hz.
06/01/2016 04:16 PMPosted by Gromp
What is the point of 140 fps? Your eyes don't even notice it. I hope you are really meaning Hz.

More FPS = Smoother illusion of motion (and ANY form of video, be it tape, film or digital animation is an ILLUSION of motion) and the less "jittery" or "choppy" said motion will appear.

24fps is roughly the lowest filmmakers found they could go with synced audio tracks during the early days of talking motion pictures (silent pictures got away with frame rates as low as 18fps, mostly due to the hand-cranked nature of the players) that kept costs of film low and didn't make it jarring to watch the movies. Motion blur helps mask the fact the frame rate is such a low value since the real world doesn't have a "frame rate" and there's no technical cap on how much information-per-second your eyes see and brain processes.

30fps is considered 'barebones' lowest for gameplay thanks to the heavy hand the US with its NTSC and 60Hz power grid played in the early days of video gaming.

60fps is considered the general butterzone for fast-action (eg: FPS) games, particularly by PC gamers and is slowly filtering down to console gaming with the change (finally!) from 720i & 1080i (Interlaced, 60Hz/30fps, takes two "fields" to make one frame each refresh) to 720p & 1080p (Progressive, 60Hz/60fps, whole frame is generated each refresh).

120+fps (such as 144Hz/fps) is being preferred more and more by competitive players in fast-action games such as CS:GO (as old as it is), TF2, and hopefully Overwatch.
I've got an nvidia 960 and an fx-8350, and at the second highest graphics setting get around 100 fps most of the time, on a 120hz screen at 1080p.
i5-4690k
16GB ram
gtx 970
1920x1080, ultra settings
I get around 130fps most of the time
06/01/2016 04:16 PMPosted by Gromp

But your monitor does. It has to do with the quality of the picture being displayed, do not get stuck on human perception. When you feed 144+ FPS through a 144Hz monitor it smooths everything out, including tearing amongst other issues.

Even if you see do not "see" at those rates, what the monitor displays is much much better/clearer, and you DO see that. And that does not even get into blur which is another issue with modern LED monitors.

It's as simple as looking at a cursor move across a 60Hz versus 144hz screen, the difference is dramatic. And that increased Hz only matters is the FPS matches it.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

OP,

I was asking about how to achieve 140+ FPS in game?

Ok, maybe a long answer but hope it will help. 140 FPS can be easily archived with a less than 2 year old desktop at a value of roughly $1200 USD. A typical machine like this should have a Core i5 Intel processor, at least 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a GTX 960 or Radeon R9 380 or equivalent.

In terms of in game setting, normally you turn off smoke effect, fog effect, dynamic lighting, and reflection and keep all rest on high or ultra.
You also need to turn off V-Sync and FPS limit if there is. then you will see 140 FPS on screen with the built in check. HOWEVER, this does not mean it is truly running at 140 FPS, because most LCD monitors are designed at 60 FPS max (matching its refresh rate).

I guess the reason you are specifically asking for 144 FPS is because there are 144 Hz gaming monitors out there. And yes, if you happen to purchase one, then you need a more powerful card like GTX 980/ 980 Ti.
Depends on whether you are using a G-sync or FeeSync monitor, you need to config the FPS in different control panel and set it to match monitor refresh rate which is TRUE 144 FPS

So by saying that, if you currently is not using a 144 hz gaming monitor, dont bother to try make 140+ FPS in the game because your 60 hz monitor hardly can show 60 FPS and 140+ FPS content difference, and to most people, your eyes cannot tell it from the 60 hz monitors too.
If you have an NVidia graphics card then you can download their newest software that actually optimizes the settings for certain games to get best performance. They have settings specifically for overwatch in relation to your equipment.
It will depend on if you are trying to run 144hz at 1080p or 1440p and what in-game graphics settings you're using.

I have an XB271HU monitor, 2560x1440 resolution and it can do up to 144hz. It's much better to use ULMB mode for FPS games though, which is limited to 120hz. A single 980ti overclocked to 1.5ghz maintains 120fps for me on maximum settings. I don't play with maxed settings though. I use a mix of high/medium and get GPU usage of about 50-60%.

I'm sure you can run this game at decent settings at 2560x1440 144fps using a gtx 970 or a radeon 390 card. I can't see it needing more than that. If you want maximum settings 144hz 1440p, then a 980ti or 1080 is going to be needed. For 1080p 144fps, a 960 would probably do it at reduced settings and a 970 or 390 for maxed settings are my guesses.

IDK where people get this notion that your eyes can't discern the difference between 60fps and 120fps... lol is all I can say to that. I'm guessing it's the sort of 'lore' knowledge passed along on internet messaging boards. The difference is night and day.