I feel like you don't need any skill in this game

General Discussion
06/17/2016 12:27 PMPosted by UglyPurses
This is a Moba based not a FPS game, if it is FPS then why there are pure melee heroes.

Um... no? There are plenty of pure melee characters in FPSes.

Skulk in Natural Selection
Aliens in AvP (original and second one not the new crap)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Zeno Clash
Breakdown
Correct, compared to other games, this one has a really low skill cap. It's made by blizzard, they've done this with almost all their games anymore. It's to draw in a larger player base.
06/17/2016 12:23 PMPosted by Lycanzer
Most heroes in this game doesn't require any aim. I know its all about the teamplay but atleast some aim.

Just look at those heroes like:

Winston
Mei
Roadhog
Junkrat
Torbjorn
Reaper
Bastion
Symettra

So how is that a thing? Its like everyone new FPS player can just come in and kill everyone because he decided to take those heroes.

Am i the only one who thinks this way?

It's actually true, you don't need skill in this game to be good. 20 Tic servers means true skill won't show at the moment, except for "hey I know how to combo" Still a few champs are now in the skill bracket...Genji, and now McCree for starters. At any rate, this game will never have as high of a skill ceiling as CS GO. If you coming from there, yeah, we spoiled.

06/17/2016 02:09 PMPosted by Raptorial
Correct, compared to other games, this one has a really low skill cap. It's made by blizzard, they've done this with almost all their games anymore. It's to draw in a larger player base.

Yeah OP is right, look how many silly kids downvoted him hahaha truth hurts.
Winston and Symmetra are more difficult to play well than most of the heroes that require aim.

Aiming isn't everything.
If it's that easy, lacking any skill - form a competitive team and win money.
Most heroes in this game doesn't require any aim. I know its all about the teamplay but atleast some aim.

Winston
Mei
Roadhog
Junkrat
Torbjorn
Reaper
Bastion
Symettra

So how is that a thing? Its like everyone new FPS player can just come in and kill everyone because he decided to take those heroes.

so what you're saying is, that you have a 100% winrate whenever you play these characters.

Winston
Mei
Roadhog
Junkrat
Torbjorn
Reaper
Bastion
Symettra

You're doing it wrong... Right click headshot with Mei all day. Reaper takes aim - shotgun headshots. Try using your Junkrat concusion mine to blast an pharah out of the sky and tell me it doesn't take aim.

But the biggest skills are positioning , team work and coordination which are infinitely more in-depth than mere aiming.
06/17/2016 01:49 PMPosted by jrizzo
You must be thinking of Soldier 76s no skill no recoil run and gun...

Funny you mention recoil, because he has spread. So thank you for confirming your posts as baseless assumptions!

As for the OP,

Mei Right click requires not only good aim but prediction.
Torb and his left click require aim and some prediction as well.
Junkrat landing directs and air shots or a standard combo Mine-> direct air requires more skill than a flying widowmaker headshot.
Roadhog hook while massive still requires aim.

Just because a hero is easy to be effective with does NOT mean they require no aim or skill to be optimal.
The thing to understand about Overwatch is that it's a game about Hero choice more than anything, Character abilities > Personal skill level (within reason). There are characters with decent skill ceilings but they can get taken out easily by certain characters that require a substantially less amount of skill to play. It's frustrating as all hell to get used to at first but as you start understanding the counters better the game gets a bit more enjoyable.
06/17/2016 01:57 PMPosted by ANML

The problem in my opinion is not that there are good options for players with less good aim skill to be able to contribute well within the team game - the problem is just that those heroes are too well rounded in the hands of skilled players to be really frustrating to play against (i.e Mei, Junkrat, Torbjorn with molten core built for each engagement, Symmetra with permanent teleport up).

How will Torbjorn be able to charge molten core for each engagement with no enemies to kill between engagements? How can Symmetra have a permanent teleporter up when you cannot charge a new one until the old one has expired?
As Junkrat always says...

"Eh, aiming is overrated."
The game is meant to also be accessible to casual and unskilled players, so it has a hero for everyone. From the auto turren torbjörn to the high precision hanzo and widowmaker, everyone can find something. Or go mercy heal and lock your beam on someone or just run lucio and stay close to allies. Maybe spam with Junkrat, and so on. I think its good, that people with less aim can contribute in their way. And after all, Blizzard wants to sell the game to many people, so you need a low skill requirement.

Still there is a major difference between a noob and a high skill player. You say Mei, and yes chilling may be easy, but pulling off a good freeze + headshot or do good ice walls and so on can make a difference. Even for Mercy, there is a wide skill range from just healing someone and really flying between people, switching heal and boost and pulling just the perfect revive.
06/17/2016 12:31 PMPosted by Lycanzer
Of course i mean aim. But not only aim I'm talking about lets take Junkrat

He just spams and thats how he kills he doesn't do anything else.

I'm guessing you die to a lot of Junkrat spam.
Sorry Junkrat doesn't require aim?! He's harder to master than any projectile/hitscan hero.....
It's almost like team composition and gamesense is more important than DM in a team-based game or something.

Granted, there are some heroes that are way more technical than others (Tracer, Genji, Pharah, Widow), but you can't go beast mode and take out an entire team by yourself without Ult, no matter how technically skilled you are. OW is a game where optimization > individual DM and if you overextend, you WILL be punished 90% of the time for it.
Like any competitive game, the best players will always rise to the top and perform better than everyone else. There is plenty of skill to be developing in this game with things like positioning, team comps, recognizing and adapting to strategies, communication, decision making, etc.

That being said, there are an awful lot of things that happen in this game that feel frustrating when you're killed by them because they're mechanically easy to pull off, or somewhat random. Anyone could kill the world's best Tracer with Mcree if you sit behind a corner and she doesn't know you're there and walks around. There is literally nothing that Tracer can do. Obviously the Tracer will dominate the game overall, but that death feels like bull!@#$. There's plenty of other things that feel just like this. Random Hanzo arrow spam one shotting people, Junkrat traps positioned in odd spots that make them nearly impossible to see, headshot by Widowmaker when walking around a corner because she had her ult up and the sound telegraph never played, various ults that have the combination of being heavy damage and ease of use such that you have to just accept that death as 'oh, I guess he used his ult, I didn't think he would.' Pretty much every hero has some way that they get bull%^-* kills that make you say 'k'.

The game seems to have this philosophy that the most damaging abilities should also be the easiest to hit and use. It's backwards.
06/17/2016 12:31 PMPosted by Lycanzer
06/17/2016 12:26 PMPosted by Result
When you say "skill", just be honest with us and use the word "aim".

Because that is obviously the only skill you're talking about.

Of course i mean aim. But not only aim I'm talking about lets take Junkrat

He just spams and thats how he kills he doesn't do anything else. Or take Winston, You just run to someone and kills them. I'd like to see Winston actually looking at the guy when he kills him not just running around.

You sound like you have never got a kill with Winston. As the tip says, try to move through Winston to break the Tesla Cannons lock-on. A full 'clip' with Winston does a little more than 200 damage, I believe. So if you make him miss for about a second, hes not gonna kill you till he has reloaded, at least. Most people just try to run away. The Tesla cannon has a mild slow on it, so bad idea.

And believe it or not, it does need to be aimed, although very forgiving, its not huge range or autolock, you do need to be looking at your target.

Not sure why you think Junkrat doesnt need to be aimed. His grenades are bigger than bullets, yes, but also far slower. They bounce, and they stick around for a bit, so if you are decent with him you can cover a small area with the 5 in each clip, but if you actually want to hit anything with them you do need to aim at and predict your target. The longer the range, the harder it is, bonus points if you are flying through the air and still land the shot. Extra bonus points if both you and your target are flying through the air from a concussive mine and you hit them. Super duper bonus points if you boop the Mei in the air, throw a trap where she is about to land and kill her with a grenade that you predicted while airborne. See where I'm going with this? Junkrat isnt all about just spamming in someones general direction.

But woe betide the Reinhardt who refuses to switch and pads my damage medal to ridiculous amounts, hes gonna be airborne or completely stationary pretty soon.