how often should blizzard release new heroes

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 23 Next
I think for this game, 1 hero every 2-3 months would be OK. Map pools perhaps the same.

For heroes, you dont want an over saturation in a Rock/Paper/Scissors type game as it makes balance much harder and "Heroes" start to lose distinction.
Recent interview said they want for competitive seasons to last 2.5 - 3 months. Now, depending on how many heroes they release at once, I have two different opinions:

3~ heroes every 2 seasons,
or
1 hero every season.

Thinking about it like this might be too many heroes, or too few...I don't know. 4-6 heroes a year almost seems too little, but 10+ seems too much. My natural train of thought says to put it inbetween, so...

8 heroes a year, and 2 heroes every season.
Wow. This is a great discussion. We love hearing your values around content releases. We have a short/medium term plan for hero and map releases but we've agreed internally that the long term plan will most likely change depending on what the game needs as well as what you guys like/dislike.

We want to update the game frequently -- so it feels fresh and exciting. These plans go beyond just heroes and maps. We want to add new features as well. But at the same time, we don't want to disrupt the game you know and love. So finding the right balance between cool/frequent updates and "stability of the game we love" is something that we, the OW team and you guys will do together over time.

Great discussion. Please keep it going!
Highly Rated
Ideally, alternate between a new hero and map/mode every 3-6 months. I'd rather see quality heroes/maps than rushed heroes/maps.
I would love a new Hero every 1-2 months. Maybe a new hero every 2 months, and a map every month that a hero isn't added. Nothing would make me happier then to see a ton of maps in the game so that it feels like you don't get the same map very often.

I love this game, but playing the same few maps over and over is rather boring, and it sucks when one of those maps I really dislike.
more maps. less annoying choke points. another game mode. Balance and tweak current heroes and just release 1 at a time when its ready. Have a beta/test server like in WoW and Diablo 3!
Personally, I don't want new heroes just to have new heroes. Like, if you can tell which were the original 21 and which were additions just by looking at the quality of their voice lines, tags, and skins, then something went bad.

But I think Blizzard should totally disallow hero stacking and then start launching new heroes that overlap in ability coverage just a little with the current ones. That's the sweet spot we want to be in, right?
Do you guys have any idea of just how much of a mess the game would be with a new hero every other month? That's crazy..one a year maybe..

Considering you can make yourself familiar with any hero in about 5 minutes the appeal wouldn't last much longer than that anyway. I'd rather have minimal upsets to game balance, just add more skins for existing heroes instead.
Hey Jeff, was there ever discussion about new Classes? Aside from the 4 we have now?
Personally, I think the existing roster of heroes is already pretty diverse. You already have two choices to fill almost every role, which gives you a lot of options. There's really only two roles that currently lack a second option:

- The game only has one flying hero. Many heroes have a weakness to fliers, but Pharah is the only one who can take advantage of this.
- The game only has one character who can reliably hit through shields, Symmetra. Since she's pretty much limited to defense, it would be nice to have a character who could do this who was better on offense.

If these roles were expanded a bit I would be fine with the existing roster for a pretty long time.

What does need more expansion though is maps. Having only 12 maps feels a bit limited, particularly since each can only be played in one game type. I would ideally like to see at least 4 more maps by the end of the year, and maybe even a totally new map type. You can only play on the same 12 maps for so long before it starts to feel a bit repetitive.
I'd rather see staggered releases of everything. New map here. New mode there. New Hero sprinkled in. I would honestly rather see this game follow the wow model and not the Hots model for new heroes. I'd really rather not reach a point a year or two from now where we have 75 heroes. I don't really see the point in that for a FPS.
While playing some maps I thought to myself "This map would look awesome at night/day." Seeing a night time Hanamura or Nepal would be awesome !
06/09/2016 12:46 AMPosted by Kenshin
1 hero a year seems good

1-3 seems good. Id rather have more maps and game modes than heroes tbh
06/09/2016 08:32 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Wow. This is a great discussion. We love hearing your values around content releases. We have a short/medium term plan for hero and map releases but we've agreed internally that the long term plan will most likely change depending on what the game needs as well as what you guys like/dislike.

We want to update the game frequently -- so it feels fresh and exciting. These plans go beyond just heroes and maps. We want to add new features as well. But at the same time, we don't want to disrupt the game you know and love. So finding the right balance between cool/frequent updates and "stability of the game we love" is something that we, the OW team and you guys will do together over time.

It’s no surprise, being a Blizzard game that Overwatch will be around a long time with good updates. I’ve put a fair amount of time into the game now and I think some areas of improvement are solo queue and trying to somehow incentivize some of the player base to play support (Mercy, Lucio) or run tank (Reinheart). I'm always feeling forced to play support and I also main Lucio so I'm always playing support or be forced to be in a losing team. Also somehow if you can incentivize voice talk more so people know it’s there and are motivated to use it (not sure how you’d do this but I know you guys are smart). Lastly, regarding the voice talk – make it so if we’re in a party of 3 or 4 that the other PuG’s can hear us. It defaults to Group Chat and we must hit ‘P’ to change chat channels. I know this can be adjusted in the settings but maybe change the default settings on the back end.

Regarding maps…there are very tough maps with hard choke points and they need addressed. If you have a Reinheart, Basiton, Symetera , a Torjiborn(sp?), Widow, and a Mercy or Lucio healing it’s very hard to break that choke on some maps such as Route 66 or Temple. The worst experiences I have in this game are on Attack on Payload maps during Solo Queue. I only play with other people now due to solo queue being cancer.
06/09/2016 08:44 AMPosted by Terotrous
What does need more expansion though is maps. Having only 12 maps feels a bit limited, particularly since each can only be played in one game type. I would ideally like to see at least 4 more maps by the end of the year, and maybe even a totally new map type. You can only play on the same 12 maps for so long before it starts to feel a bit repetitive.

More so, I find that the map cycle is always off. I'll play the same map 3 out of 5 games rather than 5 different maps, which gets boring at times.
06/09/2016 08:32 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

we want a bolt action sniper hero pls
1 every 2 months would be ok. Atm the game really needs more heroes so 1 every month would be great for 1 year.
I think there's currently a lack of support characters because EVERYONE always wants to play offense or defense and there are only 4 of them. Sure Lucio get's played a lot, but that's about it. So I definitely think they should start with support.

1 or 2 heroes a year is fine.

As for the maps, I think that's just a matter of making them interesting and play similar to the other maps, but somehow making them feel fresh. Mostly the locale and environment would achieve that.
06/09/2016 08:46 AMPosted by Powercage
06/09/2016 12:46 AMPosted by Kenshin
1 hero a year seems good

1-3 seems good. Id rather have more maps and game modes than heroes tbh

I would definitely support something like this though for me it'd be 1-2. I've played countless hours of other shooters and the fun is in winning/killing/playing not so much in seeing a fresh "hero" every other month. Maps and modes would be higher on my priority list for sure. Surely the game would still feel fresh and alive if by the end of year one we were at say 23-24 heroes, 2 new maps, and maybe 1-2 modes or tweaks to modes. There doesn't need to be an overkill of new content every other month for this game to maintain its fun imo
Imo i think 4 heroes a year would be a good number if they wanted to a lot of releases. That is about 1 hero per 3 months. We dont want heroes release too fast it could really mess with balance. 3 months should be long enough for it to fully balance after a hero release and about the time when people want something new PLUS it lines up with ranked mode. I think more would be too much but it could be less.