Let's talk about 99%

General Discussion
50% bores me.

Let's talk about the statistical absurdity that is the losing team always pulling off the objective switch at 99%.
The first few times I experienced this happening I thought, wow, this is close! Then it happened again... and again... aaaaand again.

It's no longer exciting as Blizzard wants it to be. I just roll my eyes when the other team starts to cap when we're at 99%. SOMEHOW this situation happens all too often. Then they will get it up to 99% and we'll be fighting for a while, both at 99%.

Really gives you that fake feeling. Or, I could just turn off my brain like Blizzard wants and not thinking of the statistical improbability that the other team is lucky enough to stop our capping RIGHT AT 99% to raise the stakes to make us all fight a little harder.

Whatever.
It's psychology. Ever won a payload match on overtime? Sure you have. Because that's when the whole team as an instance know what they need to do. GET THAT PAYLOAD! Nobody dicks around then.
It might just be that at that time, when a team would be at at 99, many n the opposing team have their ults. I feel like this game is very dependent on ults and executing them well.

Tangent, my favorite ultapocalypse was a Mei, Zarya and Reinhardt combo - Zarya threw down her gaping black hole, Mei threw down her frozen field (whatever) and then Reinhardt charged-in and slap-killed the ENTIRE opposing team.
Highly Rated
There is no hidden game mechanic that makes this happen, it is purely psychological. One of the biggest and most common mistakes in this game is that people play scared, literally terrified of dying, like its their real life and they won't respawn. Aggression wins in this game, and timidity is punished.

When the clock starts ticking down to the end, what you see is forced aggression. There is no longer a choice, its attack or lose, and so people do what they could have done 5 minutes ago, but were too scared to.
06/12/2016 01:54 PMPosted by Dabba
There is no hidden game mechanic that makes this happen, it is purely psychological. One of the biggest and most common mistakes in this game is that people play scared, literally terrified of dying, like its their real life and they won't respawn. Aggression wins in this game, and timidity is punished.

When the clock starts ticking down to the end, what you see is forced aggression. There is no longer a choice, its attack or lose, and so people do what they could have done 5 minutes ago, but were too scared to.

^gets it

The same reason why the last point is always harder to take, because proximity to the spawn forces the defenders to play together, a most ground breaking playstyle which eludes 90% of the playerbase.
I came here to start this thread.

Six games in a row today where my team lost due to a fake overtime momentum swing at 99%. I wish I was recording because in two of them I was demonstrably by myself in the cap area with no one even remotely around and the game still kept ticking time in contested mode for 10+ seconds forcing an overtime.

It's absurd and fake. Blizzard, I'm not sure how you expect this game to be taken seriously as a competitive shooter when your server is arbitrarily picking winners to make it "more exciting." It's not cool to lose because the server decided that your team doesn't deserve to win because your focus groups have come to conclusion that player retention fals 2.99582% when one team loses in a bad way.
Most of the time if my enemies get to 99%, I just lose the match straight...I must suck very hard.
It's a fun game but it feels like, 'the poo's rigged yo!'.
06/12/2016 01:48 PMPosted by Hammond
It's psychology. Ever won a payload match on overtime? Sure you have. Because that's when the whole team as an instance know what they need to do. GET THAT PAYLOAD! Nobody dicks around then.

It may be true, but what about AI? AI suddenly wiped out all us when we reached 99% then they got 100% from 0%... Do AI has psychology?

That and the fact that the point-holder rate ticks up even when contested means any reasonably well contested match has a very strong chance of going 99/99.

It may be true, but what about AI? AI suddenly wiped out all us when we reached 99% then they got 100% from 0%... Do AI has psychology?

They may have a priority system that says "hey if we're a shorthair away from losing the point, stay closer to it," which is going to present a new challenge for a team that's been stomping a bad, heavily dispersed AI for most of the round.

While I totally agree with the psychology component... c'mon Dabba! A hidden game machanic could very well be in place, we don't know what we don't know.
Control points continue to tick until 99%. If a match goes into overtime, it holds at 99% until the point is cleared or control is lost. So it makes perfect sense as to why most games come down to an overtime battle at 99%, as it's the only time overtime ever comes into play and 99% is the only percentage where the counter stops.

Players can see that time is running out, and most will make it a priority to get into the point to at least extend the game. Some don't, and those folks are KDR-whoring morons that need to die in a fire. Everyone else realizes that when the game in on the line and time is running out, there is nothing else to lose. It's that reckless abandon and the slow trickle of deaths and returning players that can keep an overtime extending and re-extending to the point that the objective eventually gets taken.

From a psychological standpoint, there is also the concept that the brain has trouble with the concept of "don't". In golf, they teach you to ignore hazards right in front of you to avoid affecting your shot. If you are thinking "don't hit it in the water", your brain fixates on things that would cause you to hit into the water...and often you wind up doing exactly that. So when you're trying to hold a point and saying to yourself "don't die, don't die", you're getting too caught up in thinking about the outcome and not focusing on the fight. That's one reason why so many teams blow it at 99% or in overtime on other map types.
06/12/2016 02:03 PMPosted by Horchata
06/12/2016 01:48 PMPosted by Hammond

A person who loses to AI (lol) thinks there is a hidden mechanic that forces them to lose games...shocking. On a more serious note though, overtime is too forgiving for the attackers and should be reworked somehow.
Both been victim to this and been the victor. It happens, especially when maybe a couple players on the 'losing' team change up toons that help counter those the winning team has and suddenly they clear the point. Or the losing team actually works together, perhaps saving a couple ults to use at the same time thus clearing the point. Ive been down and up by 30% and had and seen comebacks to win. Its the makeup of players on your team, communication and the right comp that works that makes the difference.
I find it amusing how there is no lack of people complaining that all they have are lop sided matches where one team steam rolls the other, while simultaneously seeing posts from other players complaining about how many of their matches get stolen from them during overtime.

I think Dabba is correct. It's mostly psychological combined with some law of probability tossed in that observes that in a game of seven million players, there are probably a hundred thousand that due to pure luck even with fair and balanced teams are still going to see outliers in how the matches play out.
i think its retarded how the enemy can jsut rush in suddenly cap it out of nowhere (maybe some ults usually paharas stupid !@#$ rockets and soldiers %^-*ing aimbot) then the cancerous thing happens

my team literally gets lost and/or panics and we cant recap it
so they reach 99% but nonono ! we do not recap it even then, no we !@#$ing lose like the %^-*ing headless chickens they are...
06/12/2016 03:38 PMPosted by Lisjak
i think its retarded how the enemy can jsut rush in suddenly cap it out of nowhere (maybe some ults usually paharas stupid !@#$ rockets and soldiers %^-*ing aimbot) then the cancerous thing happens

my team literally gets lost and/or panics and we cant recap it
so they reach 99% but nonono ! we do not recap it even then, no we !@#$ing lose like the %^-*ing headless chickens they are...

So the enemy team did what your team failed to do. What's wrong with that?