Playing Solo isn't fun.

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
Playing in a group is extremely fun if everyone's communicating which inspires teamwork. Playing solo on the other hand is just super frustrating, every single time I play solo I play healer or tank because everyone else wants to go attack heroes even on defense. I get really tired of playing healers and tanks every game, but unfortunately there's no winning if I don't be the team player.

This honestly feels really punishing, to not be able to play the heroes you like because everyone else wants to get kills instead of objectives. When I group up at least I have a say in who's on my team, in solo however it seems like the game is super one side, either you stomp them or they stomp you. It's been awhile since I actually had a fun even match in solo play. Since my win rate is like 55% it seems like the game is trying very hard to force it back to 50%. I honestly don't mind at all if I get 50% win rate but at least even the teams out so it seems like my 50% win rate was through hard fought games.

There is very little team work in pub games. I don't think torbjorn and bastion are OP at all, I can name countless counters but it all comes down to teamwork. Pub games are so disorganized torbjorn and bastion seems OP to them. It takes very little coordination to defend on certain maps, but it takes extreme teamwork to attack a point. Some maps favor attack but most maps favor defense. On top of that, people don't understand this game revolves around switching characters, when people see that their hero is not working they keep playing them until its 1 minute left then they try to switch.

People hate others that tell them what to play even when clearly they are making it much harder for everyone to get any objectives. On the flip side, I hate having to ask people to be team players, because the only response you will ever get is "Screw off. I play what I want".

TLDR I think match making should match you with player at similar skill level on both teams. The close games are the fun games.
Highly Rated
And please Blizzard fix your matchmaking. I keep having to join games midway and lose within a minute of joining. When I get those midway games, I tend to leave because why would you want to be at a disadvantage the instant you join the game? Funny thing is when I leave and look for another match, it puts me back in the same exact game. You leave again? You get leaver penalty. What's up with that?
I love pubs, i love owning the other team killing bation over and over only to have him switch to mccree midgame and be like me.

Does that work out? Nope

Or when i drop on the payload from above and highnoon ur !@#$
06/06/2016 08:25 AMPosted by Mystblade
I love pubs, i love owning the other team killing bation over and over only to have him switch to mccree midgame and be like me.

Does that work out? Nope

Or when i drop on the payload from above and highnoon ur !@#$

But that's why solo isn't fun. 25% of the players are playing correctly, like you and 75% are playing incorrectly. Sure you get some multi-kills and potg and wins... but that's not fun in my book. Fun is having two opposing teams of equal skill who both have awesome plays with one barely coming out on top.

Pwning noobs isn't fun. It's sadistic.
ive almost exclusively played offensive heroes and i've been having fun by myself =|
Highly Rated
I think there should be some sort of exp boost to people willing to play tank/heals in casual play
06/06/2016 08:28 AMPosted by Delorean
ive almost exclusively played offensive heroes and i've been having fun by myself =|

I'm glad you're having fun, but that's part of the problem with the solo queue. If people only choose offensive heroes, then the team is not balanced and/or people are forced to play support or Tank so you can do what you want.

The goal of the game is to complete the map objective, not kill people. If you can push the payload to the end and never touch another person, you'd still win. I don't think everyone seems to get that.
Kind of inherent problem of solo queue. Most people in pubs are just going to play what they find fun personally, whether it helps the team or not. The nature of the beast when you're playing outside premades.

There is very little team work in pub games.

TLDR I think match making should match you with player at similar skill level on both teams. The close games are the fun games.

I can't even recall the amount of times I have seen players run solo into a meat grinder on the Nepal control points. It's really bewildering. Wait up for our Reinhardt guys, I don't think a single flashbang is going to stun them all.

As far as I know, the matchmaking system does attempt to match you up to players with similar individual skill level, and it seems to work for the most part. The problem is, it doesn't assemble teams based on some kind of measure of teamwork ability, as that would be difficult and unreasonable. This is where so much of the one-sidedness comes from. If the other team happens to play a slightly coordinated game and you have people spread across the four corners of Ilios, well, it's not going to be very fun.
06/06/2016 08:39 AMPosted by LunaMadness

There is very little team work in pub games.

I can't even recall the amount of times I have seen players run solo into a meat grinder on the Nepal control points. It's really bewildering. Wait up for our Reinhardt guys, I don't think a single flashbang is going to stun them all.

As far as I know, the matchmaking system does attempt to match you up to players with similar individual skill level, and it seems to work for the most part. The problem is, it doesn't assemble teams based on some kind of measure of teamwork ability, as that would be difficult and unreasonable. This is where so much of the one-sidedness comes from. If the other team happens to play a slightly coordinated game and you have people spread across the four corners of Ilios, well, it's not going to be very fun.

That is a good point actually, never thought of it that way. I mean one team could have everyone with a 70% win rate with attack heroes only and then the other team could have 70% win rate with some being on tanks and healers as well, it would be a complete stomp even though the matchmaking is matching you with players of similar skill level.
06/06/2016 07:58 AMPosted by Techi

We couldn't agree more that playing with friends will always be more fun than playing by yourself. We're constantly iterating on the social features of the game in order to encourage players to not only make friends, but to play with them as well. You will always make a better group for yourself than we can make for you.

Regarding the matchmaker, it does a lot of things (more than what I am about to list). But basically it is trying to do the following things:

Get you a match quickly
Get you a match with your lowest possible ping
Get you a match with as close to equal group sizes as possible on both teams
Get you a match with equally skilled players on both teams

Of course there are times when not all of those things are possible. But that is generally what is going on under the hood (plus many other minor things).
Highly Rated
My dear Jeff I think we can safely establish that "skill" is quite the abstract notion in this game...
06/06/2016 08:45 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We couldn't agree more that playing with friends will always be more fun than playing by yourself. We're constantly iterating on the social features of the game in order to encourage players to not only make friends, but to play with them as well. You will always make a better group for yourself than we can make for you.

Regarding the matchmaker, it does a lot of things (more than what I am about to list). But basically it is trying to do the following things:

Get you a match quickly

Of course there are times when not all of those things are possible. But that is generally what is going on under the hood (plus many other minor things).

Curious how it determines the last. I think that's a point of interest/contention for many people, especially when their friends aren't on and they're left to the matchmaking gods for sacrifice.

I mean, I get that you guys are pushing this as a game to enjoy more with friends. But quite simply, not everyone has the same available time space to play with friends...and I, for one, don't like to pick up strangers on my friends list.
Now if he only gives Symmetra some love...that would be great.
Developer comments are always great to see. Just came here to give props for that.
Hello Jeff,

I don't know the details of the match making system like you do of course, but I think that there are a few things that could be implemented into the match making. Firstly, detecting Tank/Support mains and evenly distribute them across both teams. As of now, say all 12 players are the same skill level (all have 70% win rate), but 6 on one team have 70% win rate as attack heroes, and the other 6 on the other team have a more spread out hero diversity (One might have 70% win rate on tanks and another on supports), it may seem like a even match in the eyes of the system but in reality it is a complete steamroll for the team with players who can pick a proper comp.
We're constantly iterating on the social features of the game in order to encourage players to not only make friends, but to play with them as well.

You mean like isolating solo players from groups so they can't talk to them unless the entire group switches to team channel?

Get you a match quickly

It doesn't seems to be working very well, especially on the "equally skilled" part.
I downvote almost every of my matches due to being stomp fest most of the time.

As someone who was level 1 on Friday night, I literally never experienced this at all in any of my games. I have consistently been matched with players who are 30, 40, 50 and even 80, 90 levels on me. I know that's not a reflection of my skill since I lost a majority of my matches but it sounds like you guys need to work the MM algorithm to weight skill scaling higher.