Forced 50/50?

General Discussion
1 2 3 20 Next
Highly Rated
Hey, I've been thinking about it, and after a while, I'm still wondering how it can effectively forced 50/50...

Well, I'm just guessing that forced 50/50 means that, when you're above 50% winrate, you tend to be with teammates which are under, and if you're under, well... the opposite.

Is that so? Or I misunderstood something?
Highly Rated
Pretty much. If you're winning alot, you'll be placed with the players that are losing alot, in order to balance it out.
Yup. And there's a forum thread that can prove when you're suppose to be in a losing streak(ABOVE 50%), your damage that you do is lowered. By a lot. To a noticible amount for a veteran player(like a star player).

The thread was getting 500 comments within 16 hours so it's somewhere deep inside. This happened recently so you might be able to find it still
I joined my level 20 brother in a game earlier today, and we were placed against a team near his level. They mostly seemed very new to the game, so it was unfortunately quite 1-sided.

However, after that, the game removed us, and put us into a game with people level 100+. I myself am only 42, but the matchmaking system can be quite funny.
06/13/2016 04:07 AMPosted by KingKitten
Pretty much. If you're winning alot, you'll be placed with the players that are losing alot, in order to balance it out.

Okay, I see the thing. But why so many people complain about it actually? I'm guessing it's the same for the opposite team, so it just increases the chances of close games, and decrease the chances of stomping, right?
06/13/2016 04:16 AMPosted by Kayin
Yup. And there's a forum thread that can prove when you're suppose to be in a losing streak(ABOVE 50%), your damage that you do is lowered. By a lot. To a noticible amount for a veteran player(like a star player).

The thread was getting 500 comments within 16 hours so it's somewhere deep inside. This happened recently so you might be able to find it still

Its also utter BS so not even worth reading lol
theres no force 50

it just half the population on overwatch is stupid or playing deathmatch
Im not good player, but still:

https://watcher.gg/profile/pc/eu/isux%232843
06/13/2016 04:26 AMPosted by Gnome
I joined my level 20 brother in a game earlier today, and we were placed against a team near his level. They mostly seemed very new to the game, so it was unfortunately quite 1-sided.

However, after that, the game removed us, and put us into a game with people level 100+. I myself am only 42, but the matchmaking system can be quite funny.

Level does not equal Skill. We are not matched based on our career level either.

Every player has some sort of secret score/level that only blizzard knows.
So when u press the Quick Play button the matchmaking starts to find players that are within a range of your score. But also to reduce the quality of the game they are trying to find them closeby with decent Ping and the size of the group.

Because there's also the Queue time to consider it cannot be perfect all the time. So sometimes they fill up the team with people that didn't quite match your score.

They try to balance this as much as possible so you end up at a winrate of around 45-55%

This is how ever not forced in any way, as you can influence this by playing with friends. You can go higher or lower if you wish to.
06/13/2016 04:59 AMPosted by Endersluck
theres no force 50

Not really..the way they designed the game made it perfect for people to believe that. A shooting game that relies very heavily on teams working together, switching characters and generally having people play the characters they don't want. And then put those people into pick up groups and then bam, you got yourself a forced 50/50.
Not sure why blizzard has been so obsessed with team-reliant games, lately. Should've just made it like LoL to TF2 where one person's skill can really shine.
Watch out with these threads, you're gonna get flamed by those "git gud" weirdos who wants to feel important in a video game.
Matchmaking is set up so both teams have the same average skill level (MMR) and you have 50% chance to win, regardless of how good or bad you are. And because you can't actually see your MMR, it is 100% pointless to get better at this game or even try to win.

Also, the better you get, the worse your teammates get, because it's easier to find 12 people around the average MMR than 12 people with exceptionally high or low MMR.

I won a few games and suddenly a level 2 appeared on my team. I guess my MMR was really high. Shame Blizzard doesn't think people might want to know the number that corresponds to their skill. Anyway we carried him through one match and then a level 8 appeared and we lost.
I'm 71 and some time i get level 1 and level 130 on my team. I never really understood the matchmaking. even with MMR stuff. I clearly had some time very high skilled players (and i was on loose streak) so this mean my MMR was low, and on the other end on winning streak I had also bad players. so not sure how their mmr works.

And why game never show MMR if its the thing that classify us in game?
theres no force 50

Many people complain about steam rolling. We steam roll them or they steam roll us.

And player stacking is common too. I'm around level 20 and I get level 70-100 players in the enemy team while my team barely gets a lvl 50. Having the team level averages off over 50 happens plenty. In theory, player levels don't necessarily indicate actual player skill, but let's be honest, the team with the most higher level players happen to win.

These are pretty much the trademarks of a "forced" win rate. If these issues weren't so prevalent, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.
Forced 50/50 isn't a thing, its an absurd myth propagated by people delusional about their own personal skill who are looking for an excuse.

Jeff Kaplan himself said that the matchmaking makes groups based on player skill, ping, and group size to ensure you play with and against other people of roughly equivalent skill, ping, and group size.

A near 50% win rate for most people is a natural byproduct of a matchmaker that pits you with and against players of equivalent skill.
06/13/2016 04:04 AMPosted by Drake
I'm still wondering how it can effectively forced 50/50

Think of it like playing softball for your local rec league. You are going to have A, B, C and D league. You're a good solid C player. You play against other C teams and go 10/10 win/loss, you stay at C level.

you win 13/7 you move up to B the next season. You go 10/10 there you stay there. 5/15 you move back to C. Lose at C? You move down to D, yet D is way below so you go 18/2. Maybe at that point they are like "ok RIGHT to B level for this all star D level team!" and you get slaughtered.

over the course of a few years odds are you balance out around 50/50

That's all that is going on in Overwatch but people can't grasp that in today's "everyone is a winnnnnar" world we live in right now.

Players also have a lot of delusions as to their own FPS and team work skills in this game. Most of the players who whine the most could not even remotely hang at a higher MMR level but of course for some strange reason every team they are on is crap.
I really dont understand matchmaker at all. I suck badly if i compare my self to hero averages at masteroverwatch. But i still have 56% winrate. I even play with terrible ping and bad gaming setup and my hit scan is bad at best.
06/13/2016 05:05 AMPosted by Wolfshaven
06/13/2016 04:26 AMPosted by Gnome

Level does not equal Skill. We are not matched based on our career level either.

Every player has some sort of secret score/level that only blizzard knows.
So when u press the Quick Play button the matchmaking starts to find players that are within a range of your score. But also to reduce the quality of the game they are trying to find them closeby with decent Ping and the size of the group.

Because there's also the Queue time to consider it cannot be perfect all the time. So sometimes they fill up the team with people that didn't quite match your score.

They try to balance this as much as possible so you end up at a winrate of around 45-55%

This is how ever not forced in any way, as you can influence this by playing with friends. You can go higher or lower if you wish to.

Oh no, I know this very well.

The contrast in games was the point being made. I found it humorous that the match-making system was like "woops, we messed up" and then changed it so drastically.
06/13/2016 06:41 AMPosted by Gnome
The contrast in games was the point being made. I found it humorous that the match-making system was like "woops, we messed up" and then changed it so drastically.

The swings get less and less wild the more games you play. Even the best matchmaking algorithm needs time and a lot of data to get everyone properly sorted. I'm closing in on 600 games played and I find that almost all of the games I get put into now are tight competitive matches between teams of people with good group comps that seem to know what they're doing.
The theory goes that if you're on a winning streak, the MM will place you in a bad team for you to lose, truth is if they did that, they would have to do that for all your team members in that winning streak team.

The very idea of this being the factor of MM is too stupid.

People are too angry and refuse to accept that they over-estimate not only themselves, but the efficiency of any existing MMR system or how the game lends itself to stomps regardless of how close the skill level can be on both teams.

When people think they are put into a team of retards, they often forget to take a long hard look at themselves, that's for sure.