I'm level 19, why did they match me with this?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
The other team basically spawn camped our team and nearly 8 people left/join. Is this normal a week into the game?

http://i.imgur.com/RI4VZbe.jpg
Highly Rated
This is the current state of matchmaking.
Welcome to Overwatch
I play with my friend in a group, I am 30 and he's 7, and I we get matched up with people on his level not mine. Just how it is.
Level = time played, not skill.

It sucks your team couldn't push out of base, but really has nothing to do with level.
06/13/2016 08:19 AMPosted by iain
Level = time played, not skill.

It sucks your team couldn't push out of base, but really has nothing to do with level.

In a game where half the heroes play themselves and map knowledge is everything, you are wrong.
1. You're low & fresh MMR, it's still gauging you
2. Level is irrelevant, obliterated pre-mades of people 100 levels above me.
3. LEVEL IS IRRELEVANT
I'm in my 70s and I've been playing with a lot of 20s and 30s lately... I mean the whole rest of the room is in their 20s and 30s.

Blizzard is trying to tell me something :(
Level does not reflect player skill, only time investment. We tracked player skill through closed beta as well as during the open beta. It's very possible to have an extremely high skill Level 1 player (and if they played closed or open beta, we know about their skill level).
06/13/2016 08:20 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
if they played closed or open beta, we know about their skill level

Interesting. I believe this is the first explicit confirmation that MMR was not reset after open beta.

Too bad. I missed a great opportunity to deliberately throw like 100 games during beta to get the easiest of easy matches in the full game =(

Joking aside, I do think there is a definite issue where the matchmaker doesn't realize that experience is also a factor. A level 100 player who wins decently often will be much better than a level 20 who wins equally often, both because they're playing tougher competition and because they've simply had much more time to learn the characters and maps.
It's less to do with skill and more to do with the time played in the game. Honestly, I've played against people two or three times my level and done perfectly fine in my games. It definitely doesn't dictate skill, just an understanding of the game.
Level does not reflect player skill, only time investment. We tracked player skill through closed beta as well as during the open beta. It's very possible to have an extremely high skill Level 1 player (and if they played closed or open beta, we know about their skill level).

A-ha... I suspected this MMR data had remained and not been wiped. Didn't make sense to delete it. Was planning to play characters I hadn't played much in the beta on Day 1 of launch, but the games seemed to already have my skill level pegged at the classes I usually play.

Yes they did do this. I was winning at one point like 80% of my games in beta and once the full release came out, my win rate went back down to 40%, even though I was just a low level player.

Most of my games were with Reaper during beta and when they started calibrating me later on, there was no chance at playing Reaper anymore cause the teams couldn't hold their own so I had to start playing a crowd dispersing hero, Pharah, just to win my games.

This game favors experience over raw skill much more than most fps due to the mechanics involved (ultimates, easy to hit weapons, learning counters etc). Discounting the correlation between level and effectiveness may be one of the reasons people dislike the matchmaking so much. Because there is most definitely a correlation between the two.
Jeff, have you considered not showing level at all? There is a natural association from traditional games that higher level = more powerful. It's obviously causing a fair amount of confusion that this is not the case in Overwatch.

There are a bunch of people that have been saying this and everyone wants to argue. I appreciate you coming out and saying this officially.
My first assumption is that you got matched with a premade. Blizzard allows this because they're stupid.
06/13/2016 08:28 AMPosted by iain
Jeff, have you considered not showing level at all? There is a natural association from traditional games that higher level = more powerful. It's obviously causing a fair amount of confusion that this is not the case in Overwatch.

I would completely support this.

I've often seen lower levels complain when they're getting stomped against a team of high levels, when it has nothing to do with the level.

Also, I'm getting really, really tired of "Hey what's that star under your name?" every other match.
06/13/2016 08:31 AMPosted by Harmony
06/13/2016 08:28 AMPosted by iain

I've often seen lower levels complain when they're getting stomped against a team of high levels, when it has nothing to do with the level.

Also, I'm getting really, really tired of "Hey what's that star under your name?" every other match.

That just hides the problem instead of addressing it. Suggesting experience doesn't matter in a game like Overwatch is so off base it makes me wonder what's really going on honestly. To suggest otherwise is saying people don't get better at games as they play more. Experience is everything...

Of course it matters and the devs know it too. So, what's the deal?
06/13/2016 08:31 AMPosted by Harmony

That just hides the problem instead of addressing it. Suggesting experience doesn't matter in a game like Overwatch is so off base it makes me wonder what's really going on honestly.

Of course it matters and the devs know it too. So, what's the deal?

Experience matters, level don't. You seem to think the game is that hard to learn for some of us, except perhaps mastering some key characters and learning levels, a lot of people are just experienced at these types of games already. I played against all disparity of levels and they truly mean nothing at the end of the game, in terms of the match outcome. There's some horrible 100+ level players who just have a lot of free time to play. You rely too much on time played as viable experience.