Enough with FRAPS warning/suggestion.

General Discussion
Okay, enough is enough. It's a release game. Pull the warning about FRAPS being running. No other Blizzard game has it, Overwatch works fine with FRAPS running, and I'm sick of the bloody warning, which is not necessary in the first place.

I expected it to be taken out at the end of beta, but it persists. Please nuke it.
Bump, since apparently Blizzard didn't get the message yet.
If Blizzard is warning people not to use FRAPS then don't use it. It might be triggering false alarms with the anti cheat system.
It's not. And anyone who's been gaming in the last decade knows that FRAPS is -not- anti-cheat software. Also, Warden has no issue with it.

How many ways do you want this debunked?
06/03/2016 02:43 PMPosted by Vorxion
It's not. And anyone who's been gaming in the last decade knows that FRAPS is -not- anti-cheat software. Also, Warden has no issue with it.

How many ways do you want this debunked?

First thing you need to do is learn to read. Nobody said FRAPS was anti cheat software.
Secondly, in less you have a Masters, in game design, you couldn't possibly understand how it might effect their file system. If Blizzard is warning you not to use it.....don't use it.
As someone who uses FRAPS - It does the same damn thing as Nvidia Shadowplay. Namely: Recording game footage and taking screenshots.
That is ALL it does.
People still use Fraps these days? Last update was back in 2013...
There are better alternatives that doesn't impact performance.
06/03/2016 02:54 PMPosted by Technous285
As someone who uses FRAPS - It does the same damn thing as Nvidia Shadowplay. Namely: Recording game footage and taking screenshots.
That is ALL it does.

I understand that, and I'm sure Blizzard understands that, and they aren't warning people not to use Shadow play, but for what I'm sure is a very good reason, they are warning people not to use FRAPS.
That is ALL it does.

It's also accesses the frame buffer so it can give you the fps. Might be why they don't want it used.
I had a typo in my previous post, as I was reading a previous post whilst typing. I meant to say FRAPS is -not- cheat software.

And yes, it accesses the frame buffer. What's your point? So does OBS. So does ShadowPlay (at a lower level, I might add). So does Xsplit. So bloody what?

Anyone putting blind faith in Blizzard's word as gospel has obviously never experienced the nightmare that is HotS performance, nor heard Blizzard's empty assurances that things will be fixed. This warning from Blizzard about FRAPS is just as empty and incorrect as the default-on warning about FRAPS vs DX11 in the UT4 engine. FRAPS has never once caused a game to crash on me, and I've been using it since very early on.

So what if it has had no updates for three years? It hasn't -needed- updates. Beepa addresses what is important, and doesn't bloat their software.
It gives you the warning even if it's not running. That's beyond idiotic.
06/03/2016 03:03 PMPosted by Alcapwnez
That is ALL it does.

It's also accesses the frame buffer so it can give you the fps. Might be why they don't want it used.

Why would they not want this? I don't see how this would affect the game at all. I use fraps in conjunction with aida64 and my logitech g19 display and it is the only way to view all my system info AND the fps on my keyboard screen.

It is REALLY crappy if this was done on purpose. I just had 2 crashes tonight apparently from fraps... but I played the past 2 weeks without ANY problems.. Only after this latest update.

This really sucks.
use fraps to see fps info when there is built in fps meter (+ temps, draws, rams and so on)... XD gg ppl gg
No one uses fraps just for the fps counter, but that counter also changes colour when you are recording etc, so it doubles as a status indicator.

Anyway yeah that warning is bloody annoying, though mine seems to have gone away. I haven't had that warning in a couple months and I still use FRAPS... I'm moving to shadow play though, the quality is fine and it has much much less impact on performance.

Finally, to the poster that mentioned hots... Oh god that game. I love hots but it is a massive memory hog, causes similarly large memory leaks, locks up for 2-3 seconds every once in a while (putting it on an SSD helped this, so was probably new abilities loading into the !@#$ing OCEAN of memory that game uses), and other less common issues. It makes me sad because I like the game a lot, but it's so asinine with the seeming lack of optimization of myriad issues that never go away. OT rant over.