+ for addressing Mccree,what about Widowmaker?

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
Highly Rated
This is directed towards Jeff Kaplan or any other Blizzard developer.

Thank you for responding to the issue that is Mccree. However, I was wondering if you have any plans regarding Widowmaker.

In both pub matches and competitive play she is by far the most dominant hero in the game. Multiple factors like too high bodyshot damage, shots that recharge too quickly, SMG that is almost as powerful as S:76's Pulse Rifle, an extremely powerful ultimate that is not clearly announced to the enemy team, etc.

I am not asking for any details, merely questioning whether or not you are currently looking at her balance-wise.

Sincerly,

Alex
Widowmaker is on our radar. We are discussing her. We have some internal experiments going to see if we can keep her viable while lowering the frustration threshold a little bit. Right now, this is just exploration. If something more comes of it, we'll let you know.
06/07/2016 12:50 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Widowmaker is on our radar. We are discussing her. We have some internal experiments going to see if we can keep her viable while lowering the frustration threshold a little bit. Right now, this is just exploration. If something more comes of it, we'll let you know.

Can you tell us if you're looking at anything specific? Scoped charge rate, her SMG, etc.?

Opinion:
I do not think that Widowmaker is as OP as people claim her to be.

Current State:
Widowmaker has the most defensive abilities and alerts; which, I believe, should be slightly addressed. Between her Ult, the trap, back-line nesting that really make footstep alerts shine, and her hook ... a skilled widow can be nearly impossible to flank.

Fix:
I feel that if we were to lower her Hit Points to about 150 it would allow less forgiveness for sniping errors. To compensate, give her a regeneration ability that bypasses the need to run to a health pack. A tight niche' team can still prevent 1 shots by giving her armor and shields.
I think she would be a lot more fun if she did less damage but her sniper acted more like a auto sniper like a G3SG1 gun, the idea is more spammy but she can still do a great sniper role but without instant killing people who just go around the corner for a split second.
I feel like Mercy also should be in the discussion, as she's pretty much a standard in competitive on both attack and defense on every map. Probably second in usage only to McCree.
Do people like this answer?
Highly Rated
06/07/2016 12:58 PMPosted by Terotrous
I feel like Mercy also should be in the discussion, as she's pretty much a standard in competitive on both attack and defense on every map. Probably second in usage only to McCree.

Lucio's actually more prevalent than her, in big part because mercy *isn't* used on every map, control maps are much more lucio focused, and lucio mercy pairings aren't exactly unusual elsewhere.

Bear in mind they're the only two viable healers.
Highly Rated

I've said before that on paper D.Va seems like the perfect rock to Widomaker's scissors, she's a highly mobile gap closer and can boost up to whereever Widow is, and does good close range damage. But in practice D.Va's crippled movement speed while firing makes it extremely hard to get a bead on her once you've reached the Widow, and her low survivability means that D.Va can often be the one killed in that encounter.

I feel that a lot of the issues surrounding Widowmaker is because the only viable counter is another, better Widow, and if there was a highly mobile tank character that could close the gap, was able to take the damage, and dish out enough to kill Widowmaker, it wouldn't be so much of a pain for so many players. D.Va would be the obvious counter, if she had the survivability she should have, and the movement speed reduction and severe damage drop off didn't impair her ability to combat a Widow one on one.

Here are some suggestions if you haven't tried them:
First, I don't believe her snipe damage to be an issue. Snipers do huge damage, it makes sense.
The issue is with her rate of fire and charge time with the sniper rifle.
SO, try making the charge time higher and add some sort of recoil to make fast repeat shots harder. Or, do it like COD, add a breathing thing where you can hold your breath for a certain amount of time to stabilize your shot.
Second, her SMG does do too much damage. Lower the damage and/or the rate of fire. She should be almost 100% helpless at close range.
Third, she needs less health. Snipers (IMO) should have lowest health pool.
Fourth, her ultimate needs to have global sound like all of the others.

There may be other things to change, such as the poison mine damage or her mobility, but I don't feel those are huge issues.
06/07/2016 01:01 PMPosted by Renideo
Lucio's actually more prevalent than her, in big part because mercy *isn't* used on every map, control maps are much more lucio focused, and lucio mercy pairings aren't exactly unusual elsewhere.

Bear in mind they're the only two viable healers.

Not anymore. The only reason Lucio's pick rate was higher was because of Double Lucio on Control maps, but they've now imposed a 1 hero limit. Mercy's pick rate is far higher than Lucio now.

Check out this week's tournament and see if you can even find a single match where both sides don't have Mercy. If they exist they're super rare. By comparison matches with no Lucio are commonplace.

That's not to say Lucio may not need to be looked at as well but I think it's become clear at this point that Mercy > Lucio in most situations.
06/07/2016 12:58 PMPosted by Terotrous

id like to see mercy get an E button. maybe life steal from an enemy. makes them think twice if they are low on health, as she could steal their life. not much, say maybe 5% life steal. that is if she doesn't get a fix where she can glide away without needing anyone to do so.

mcree fan should be put on CD, not have its damage reduced

this would raise the skill floor on mcree and reward more tactical play while keeping him just as powerful vs majority of the cast including the ones hes intended to counter.

just nerfing the damage is a terrible decision, ESPECIALLY if you allow him to kill a tank by landing all shots of 2 fan the hammers to the tanks body (wich is a huge target).

Widowmaker is fine, she is one of the few skillshot/aim based characters in the game and one of my personal favorites to use because she requires a brain to do well with. Now that people don't want to learn to counter her means she is automatically OP and needs adjustments.

- Doesn't have a braindead Q that auto guarantees kills like everyone else'
- Read line streaks across the map every time she shoots giving away position
- No escapes
- Poor damage close up
- 8 different counters
- Can't jump shoot like Hanzo

Widowmaker is fine, she is one of the few skillshot/aim based characters in the game and now that people don't want to learn to counter her she automatically OP and needs adjustments.

- Read line streaks across the map every time she shoots
- No escapes
- Poor damage close up
- Easy to counter

no just a team wallhack, one of hte only ults that gets better as your team gets better
true
false-grappling hook
false-smg does lots of damage close up, its bad at range tho
her counterability directly correlates to the widows skill..and average widow will be countered, a pro one will not even with her supposed counters being played against her. This would be ok in a individual based game but in a game that is meant to rely on teams with little carry it pushes her over the line.
Widowmaker is fine, she is one of the few skillshot/aim based characters in the game and now that people don't want to learn to counter her she automatically OP and needs adjustments.

- No escapes
- Poor damage close up
- Easy to counter

Has never played a good Widow. All of these points are hilariously wrong, except for point 2, which doesn't matter because you're dead.

Please watch something like this and educate yourself on how Widow works when played properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7dMGBVV8CY

Notice how many times she gets away from Winston, supposedly her strongest counter, and just how devastating the wallhack really is.
06/07/2016 01:02 PMPosted by Casey

I've said before that on paper D.Va seems like the perfect rock to Widomaker's scissors, she's a highly mobile gap closer and can boost up to whereever Widow is, and does good close range damage. But in practice D.Va's crippled movement speed while firing makes it extremely hard to get a bead on her once you've reached the Widow, and her low survivability means that D.Va can often be the one killed in that encounter.

I feel that a lot of the issues surrounding Widowmaker is because the only viable counter is another, better Widow, and if there was a highly mobile tank character that could close the gap, was able to take the damage, and dish out enough to kill Widowmaker, it wouldn't be so much of a pain for so many players. D.Va would be the obvious counter, if she had the survivability she should have, and the movement speed reduction and severe damage drop off didn't impair her ability to combat a Widow one on one.

Good comment, the planned buff to D Va could make WM more easy to counter without another, better WM.
06/07/2016 01:02 PMPosted by tboy123

Here are some suggestions if you haven't tried them:
First, I don't believe her snipe damage to be an issue. Snipers do huge damage, it makes sense.
The issue is with her rate of fire and charge time with the sniper rifle.
SO, try making the charge time higher and add some sort of recoil to make fast repeat shots harder. Or, do it like COD, add a breathing thing where you can hold your breath for a certain amount of time to stabilize your shot.
Second, her SMG does do too much damage. Lower the damage and/or the rate of fire. She should be almost 100% helpless at close range.
Third, she needs less health. Snipers (IMO) should have lowest health pool.
Fourth, her ultimate needs to have global sound like all of the others.

There may be other things to change, such as the poison mine damage or her mobility, but I don't feel those are huge issues.

Her damage is definitely an issue. Her damage at full charge is enough to deny zenyatta simply by having her in the game.

- No escapes
- Poor damage close up
- Easy to counter

no just a team wallhack, one of hte only ults that gets better as your team gets better
true
false-grappling hook
false-smg does lots of damage close up, its bad at range tho
her counterability directly correlates to the widows skill..and average widow will be countered, a pro one will not even with her supposed counters being played against her. This would be ok in a individual based game but in a game that is meant to rely on teams with little carry it pushes her over the line.

If you're allowing a Widow to escape with hook then you have no one to blame by yourself.
06/07/2016 01:02 PMPosted by Casey

I feel that a lot of the issues surrounding Widowmaker is because the only viable counter is another, better Widow, and if there was a highly mobile tank character that could close the gap, was able to take the damage, and dish out enough to kill Widowmaker, it wouldn't be so much of a pain for so many players.

I feel like you just described Winston.