Jeff,will we ever have a replay saving/viewing feature?

General Discussion
I have been asking about this and match history right from open beta itself, still no official word on any of those. Can Jeff/someone please tell if these 2 features will come down the line or not ?
I'm not sure if there will ever be any way to save entire matches but Jeff said a while back that they want to implement a way that you could save your highlights.
In the meantime, if you have an Nvidia card you can use Shadowplay to capture recordings.
He's already said that they would like to implement exporting them to a video format, so yes - Saving and viewing, just maybe not viewing in the way you were referring to.
06/17/2016 08:27 AMPosted by Prince
I have been asking about this and match history right from open beta itself, still no official word on any of those. Can Jeff/someone please tell if these 2 features will come down the line or not ?

I'm pretty sure Jeff addressed this in an earlier post; he said it was something they were working on if I remember correctly, no ETA though.
They said they were working on it, and stuff

We very badly want to give players replay functionality. Our engine is built so that it works. It actually works internally, which sort of pains us because we know how badly players want the feature. Right now, even though the game was architected with replays in mind, it's a non-trivial amount of work to make it a player-facing feature. What we have internally is not scalable to 10 million+ people.

We do have a lot of knowledge around the studio from our other games in regards to getting this functionality into your hands someday. Right now, our roadmap has us working on Highlights improvements first before attempting to tackle replays (same people work on those features).

tl;dr: It's a big goal for us but a tremendous amount of work so not on the immediate horizon
06/17/2016 08:36 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We very badly want to give players replay functionality. Our engine is built so that it works. It actually works internally, which sort of pains us because we know how badly players want the feature. Right now, even though the game was architected with replays in mind, it's a non-trivial amount of work to make it a player-facing feature. What we have internally is not scalable to 10 million+ people.

We do have a lot of knowledge around the studio from our other games in regards to getting this functionality into your hands someday. Right now, our roadmap has us working on Highlights improvements first before attempting to tackle replays (same people work on those features).

tl;dr: It's a big goal for us but a tremendous amount of work so not on the immediate horizon

Thanks a lot for letting know of this Jeff. Good to know that it something the dev team has in mind ! Much appreciated
can't wait for some amazing frag movies with this

It would be great if saving complete games would be higher on your list of priorities. It would be such a good tool in this early phase after release to identify bugs like those strange ult charge issues some encountered lately and it would also be great to have a look at suspicious gameplay from any player perspective (hacks, cheats, exploits).
06/17/2016 08:29 AMPosted by Zebulun
In the meantime, if you have an Nvidia card you can use Shadowplay to capture recordings.

Yes buddy I use shadow play.. but having it ON all the time takes up a lot of HDD space and CPU resource.. Some games unexpected fun moments, fail moments etc may turn up and the best way to see it again would be a replay :)
06/17/2016 08:44 AMPosted by Spelunker
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It would be great if saving complete games would be higher on your list of priorities. It would be such a good tool in this early phase after release to identify bugs like those strange ult charge issues some encountered lately and it would also be great to have a look at suspicious gameplay from any player perspective (hacks, cheats, exploits).

The thing is, it would always run on the rough approximations your own client had at the time. Only YOUR heroes actions would be 100% accurate.

The best thing about a match recorder is making awesome videos and general game play review, like if you came across a particularly good player on a hero you enjoy, or if you just want to review why you did so God awful that match.

That said, I loved the feature in Halo: Reach just to watch myself and my brother run through a mission and die hilariously each time. Getting run over by a Warthog in first person is "wtf bull$#!%!" frustrating. Seeing that death from the third person amounts to spewing my drink through my nose and being in pain for the rest of the day.

Otherwise, I can get behind Blizzard improving the functionality of highlights and PotGs as a priority - these things make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside as long as they're actually impressive to watch.

The thing is, it would always run on the rough approximations your own client had at the time. Only YOUR heroes actions would be 100% accurate.

The best thing about a match recorder is making awesome videos and general game play review, like if you came across a particularly good player on a hero you enjoy, or if you just want to review why you did so God awful that match.

That said, I loved the feature in Halo: Reach just to watch myself and my brother run through a mission and die hilariously each time. Getting run over by a Warthog in first person is "wtf bull$#!%!" frustrating. Seeing that death from the third person amounts to spewing my drink through my nose and being in pain for the rest of the day.

Otherwise, I can get behind Blizzard improving the functionality of highlights and PotGs as a priority - these things make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside as long as they're actually impressive to watch.

That's where server side replay recording comes to play.. And that's why scalability comes into play. If you see games like Dota 2 and CS GO all replays are stored in their servers (server version of the game), they are deleted after like 15 days . They want to implement same system here thats why they need to make system more scalable.

Also replays very important if this game needs to become big in esport (which blizzard is aiming for)
Jeff, a replay function similar to Rocket League would be awesome. Just think about all the awesome montages you could create with it :)
I'm ok with just Highlight saving feature
Right now I just want to be able to hide the chat log while viewing Highlights...

Would you consider moving it up in priority and providing it for competitive mode only in return or at least just custom games, so people can record their scrims?

I would argue that this is a bad decision. Unless the highlight feature set you're looking at is pretty generous then I think this is just wasted dev time. Aside from 1 or 2 tiny threads on the forums, I haven't heard anybody complaining about low highlight functionality.

Meanwhile, your competitive scene is starving badly for a replay feature. The earlier you get this one out the door, the earlier you can have the high level analysis of gameplay that the competitive scene is crying for every day.

Maybe you've undersold just how big of a tech issue this thing is, but it seems to me to be the very next thing you need to be working on, and everything else you do first is just more time added to the ETA.
I'm pretty sure "work" just means that they don't want to spend the money to bring us a replay feature. The fact that we have been given 20 tick servers should be a testament to this. If companies like Valve can provide replay features for their games, then Blizzard should 100% be able to. Its just a matter of them not wanting to invest the money, or wanting to wait for a cheaper solution.
Where can we vote to suggest that replay system should have higher priority than highlights improvements?

Argument:
With replays we can make our own highlights.
With the highlights made from our replays, you now know what people consider highlights, and can maybe improve it better